Kyaiktiyo Pagoda (r)

Subject: Re: Kyaiktiyo Pagoda

 >From: PMSCHUH@xxxxxxxx (Paul Morgan Schuh)
 >Newsgroups: soc.culture.burma
 >Subject: Re: Kyaiktiyo Pagoda
 >Date: 1 Feb 1994 06:41:49 GMT

 >In <duerksen-310194122824@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> duerksen@xxxxxxxxx writes:

 >> Is this the same pagoda that resides atop a large bolder, that is said
 >> that the bolder doesn't actually touch the ground, and that many years
 >> ago (before man became so evil) it was high enough off the ground
 >> that people could walk under it.  Even today Burmese that I know tell me
 >> that you can still pass a rope or string under it.

 >I personally have not heard of that story. Anyone else?

Yes- I have heard (the legen?) the above story but not people could walk
under it. It was said to be as high as a hen could sit bewteen the rocks.
Then, as people (humans?) got corrupted, the rock began to descend. That is
the story I've heard when I was young while I was in Burma. If that was
true, it would have fallen off the base-rock by now, knowing how SLORC treat
the public:-)

When father took us there when I was 12 or 13 and I recall some people
attaching two stones to the ends of the string and passing it underneat
the rock.

It was a pretty good hike up the the hills (I don't know how many) but
nothing compare to Yosemite's Half Dome or Mt. Whitney.

Coban