NGOs May Face Cracedown Over Aid to

Subject: NGOs May Face Cracedown Over Aid to Refugees

NGOS MAY FACE CRACKDOWN OVER AID TO REFUGEES
The Nation, Feb. 6
Bangkok
Marisa Chimprabha

Authorities will clamp down on non-governmental organizations
aiding Burmese in border camps because some of their members have
allegedly slipped into Burma to support minorities fighting against
the Rangoon government, a senior security official said.

National Security Council deputy chief Kajadpai Burutpat said
yesterday a special committee will be set up to keep a close watch
on NGOs assigned to provide humanitarian aid to refugee Burmese.

"We are now gathering evidence to prove our suspicions.  NGOs whose
staff are found to have been illegally slipping into Burma to help
the minorities will be subject to legal action and will be ordered
to stop working in the camps," said Kajadpai.

There are several temporary shelters along the border for Burmese
running from oppression across the border--mainly in Tak,
Kanchanaburi and Mae Hong Son province.

The NGOs, mainly funded by Western countries, have been working in
the camps providing education and medical care.

The NSC, Interior Ministry and provincial authorities will soon
host a meeting to which the NGOs will be invited and asked to give
details of their work, said Kajadpai.