Text of letter from Pres. Bill Clin

/* Written  8:10 pm  Feb 22, 1994 by tun@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx in igc:soc.cult.burma */
/* ---------- "Text of letter from Pres. Bill Clin" ---------- */

************************Posted by BurmaNet************************
  "Appropriate Information Technologies--Practical Strategies"

Text of letter from Pres. Bill Clinton to Aung San Suu Kyi recently
delivered by Reb. Richardson.

The White House, February 10, 1994

Dear Daw Aung San Suu Kyi:

Let me take the opportunity to express again my deep concern about
your welfare and to applaud your remarkable courage in pursuing
human rights and democracy for the people of Burma.  Despite your
four and one-half years of detention, your determination and
courage continue to inspire friends of freedom around the world.
Recent resolutions adopted in the United Nations General Assembly
and the United Nations Human Rights Commission make clear the
international community's outrage over your continued detention as
well as that of all other prisoners of conscience in Burma.

I also want to assure you of the United States' continuing support
for the struggle to promote freedom in Burma.  The 1990 elections
handed your party an overwhelming mandate from Burma's people and
firmly rejected military rule.  Obviously, the path to democratic
change must be worked out by the Burmese themselves who have
assigned you a key role in bringing about such a democratic
transition.  We strongly condemn the effort to deny you the right
to participate freely in the political life of Burma.

You have my utmost admiration for your stand.  Like your courageous
father, you symbolize the authentic aspirations of the Burmese
people.  History is on the side of freedom throughout the world and
I remain confident that your cause will prevail.

Please accept my warmest personal regards.

Sincerely,

/S/ Bill Clinton

Daw Aung San Suu Kyi
Rangoon