BURMA: 'Be Young, Be Dead, Drink Pe

Subject: BURMA: 'Be Young, Be Dead, Drink Pepsi'

Cc: AUNGTHWN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, burma@xxxxxxxxxx

/* Written 10:42 pm  Feb 19, 1994 by wrts@xxxxxxxxxxx in igc:reg.seasia */
/* ---------- "BURMA: "Be Young, Be Dead, Drink.." ---------- */
For those interested there appears in the Spring 1994 issue of "The
Boycott Quarterly" (Olympia, WA: Center for Economic Democracy) (pp48-49,68)
an article on Pepsi-Cola Products Myanmar entitled, "Be Young, Be Dead,
Drink Pepsi."  It includes a copy of a letter from Pepsi-Cola International
dated 23 December 1993 on its 'rationale.'  Here's a sample:

	Our decision as a corporation to do business in Burma is guided
	by our firm belief that trade is one of the best ways to build
	bridges of understanding between people -- bridges which help
	open lines of communication, find common ground, stimulate
	dialogue, and thus bring people and their nations closer together
	and ultimately toward world peace.

Andrew.