Request Karen info

/* Written 11:18 am  Apr 26, 1994 by grundy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx in igc:soc.cult.burma */
/* ---------- "Request Karen info" ---------- */
Good Afternoon,

I am a student at Ohio University doing a research paper on the Karen.  I am
particularly interested in thier political situation in Burma.  I have been
reading this group for several weeks now, and I find the information here most
helpful.

One issue I have not been able to gather much information about is the Karen
policy toward the opium trade.  I am under the impression that the Karen have
very strict rules regarding the use and sale of opium.  However, I can remember
seeing Karen men in Thailand using opium regularly.

These are my questions:
	1)  Is the Karen policy against opium a political decision based on an
	    effort to prevent alienation of the West?.
	2)  Is there any history of cultural or religious use of opium by the
	    Karens?

I don't want people to think that opium use is the only basis of my research.
But if Karen culture has been strongly affected by the current conflict, then
I feel this would make a good illustration.  I hope these questions do not
offend anyone.  Such is not my intent.

Any and all comments, opinions or references are welcome, either by followup
post or e-mail.

Thank you for your time.
Barry J. Grundy			grundy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

--
	****
	"Not with a bang but a whimper, I'm outta here, Jack!"

	Barry J. Grundy		grundy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx