US Calls on Burma (r)

/* Written  5:40 pm  May 10, 1994 by alan.dawson@xxxxxxx in igc:soc.cult.burma */
/* ---------- "US Calls on Burma" ---------- */
To: johpa@xxxxxxx (Johpa)
Subject: US Calls on Burma

J>The following item was picked off the wire services.  At first I had an urge
J>respond with sme caustic comments about Mr. Wirth, but then realized any
J>critical comments would be superfluous.  I mean, how pissed off can you get a
J>a guy who has just realized that there is heroin being sold in the streets of
J>LA or NYC.

Good point.

The Bangkok Post editorial, 10 May 1994:

US must clear up slip-up on Burma

THE call by a senior American policy-maker for increased US ties with
Burma needs to be quickly dismissed before it is mistaken for an
actual Washington plan. State Department Counsellor Tim Wirth's
proposal to reverse US action and widen contacts with Rangoon is
badly misguided. His senior rank among US officials lends unwarranted
emphasis to his call for a new American policy on Burma. US direction
on Asian relations has recently come under internal fire from major
Clinton administration officials. Mr Wirth's sudden and confusing
recommendation for reversal of a stable Burma policy needs to be
quickly clarified.
   Mr Wirth is a former US senator, with acknowledged expertise on
narcotics matters. In an interview with the Reuter news agency last
week, he recommended "more dialogue" between Washington and the
Rangoon junta. Without providing details, Mr Wirth said such contact
would reduce a huge outflow of heroin to the United States and other
countries. He recommended ignoring the continuing and massive
repression of Burmese in favour of his emphasis on the drugs problem.
"I'm thinking of young people on the streets of the United States of
America who are directly impacted by that," he told his interviewer.
"That should be our priority."
   Not even our own government's policy of "constructive
engagement" is as cynical as Mr Wirth's proposal. The US official's
proposal would completely overlook the massive and violent abuses of
Burmese citizens. At least the Thai -- and ASEAN -- approaches to
Rangoon aim at reversing repression by the State Law and Order
Restoration Council (SLORC). Mr Wirth, as a former politician, may
feel he still must serve an exclusively American population. The only
satisfaction we can draw is from a fellow official in the State
Department who said Mr Wirth's proposal was "unlikely to be met with
much enthusiasm."
   Available evidence shows SLORC has neither the desire nor the
ability to launch an effective anti-narcotics programme. SLORC leader
Lt Gen Khin Nyunt claimed last January his regime would move against
narcotics peddling. The reality has been the opposite. An alleged
military attack on warlord Khun Sa evaporated two months ago without
a single gain. Opium growing and heroin refining continues to grow in
northern Burma. SLORC has shown no commitment to combat such growth.
In addition, troubling reports of direct links between narcotics
dealers and SLORC officials continue unabated.
   The proposal to put Rangoon and Washington on an equal diplomatic
footing is misguided. Since it took power in 1988 over the bodies of
thousands of dead citizens, SLORC has shown few signs of compassion.
For five years, it has kept its best-known and peaceful citizen
imprisoned at home. Aung San Suu Kyi said in a recent interview she
remains determined to continue her struggle for a democratic Burma.
The world's only superpower should do no less.
   There may be no absolutes in diplomatic affairs. But the lack of
goodwill from SLORC is clear. Mr Wirth's proposal to give status to
the Rangoon junta in the mere hope it might respond is misguided.
SLORC has had many years and opportunities to improve its image
through direct action. Instead, it has continued one of the most
repressive systems of governments of our day. There are several
opinions and policies about how to change this. Mr Wirth's proposal
merely to overlook them and to have faith that heroin exports will
decline is a major act of faith. Beside this, the Thai government's
hope that a slow increase in economic and diplomatic relations will
encourage an easing of SLORC's tyranny seems like a paragon.
   The chief US policy-maker for Asian affairs, Winston Lord,
complained last week that US-Asian relations have been sliding for
the past six months. The confusing statement from Mr Wirth tends to
back up this claim. United States policy towards Burma has been
clear, and firm, since 1988. Indeed, Mr Lord himself said a week ago
Washington intended to continue to disagree with ASEAN on the matter.
"The United States wants Burma isolated while ASEAN is pursuing a
policy of engagement," he said.
   If Washington is going to change this policy, it owes its allies a
clear warning. If, as it should, the US intends to continue to press
SLORC for change, it must make this clear. Mr Wirth's statement has
caused confusion. The Clinton administration should clear it up
quickly.

 - Alan Dawson (alan.dawson@xxxxxxx)

 * 1-900-CLI-NTON: $30 MIL./min. Over 18 to call.

--
Email: alan.dawson@xxxxxxx
Sysop, War on Virus BBS in Bangkok. (66-2) 252-5087