Article in Burmese Magazine About T (r)

/* Written  5:06 am  Jun 13, 1994 by cesloane@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx in igc:bitl.seasia */
/* ---------- "Article in Burmese Magazine About T" ---------- */

> 1.      This magazine is not available in Burma.  She believes it is
> published by Burmese students outside Burma.
>
> 2.      The subject article is a discussion of poverty in Thailand.  An
> example is given of a poor family which supports itself by fishing.  The
> family is so poor that a daughter becomes a prostitute to support the
> other members.  (My Burmese friend did not tell me, nor did I ask,
> whether coersion was involved.)
>
> 3.      In one, the key (at least for this purpose) paragragh it is
> stated that a leading public personage in Thailand can, because of her
> position, do pretty much anything she wants whereas, if she came from a
> poor family, one as poor as the one used as an example, she too might
> have to become a prostitute.

I wish to thank Mr. Beal for his effort. This was discussed widely in both
soc.culture.thai and SEASIA-L as an example of possible lese majeste on
the part of (it was surmised) the Burmese government. Your efforts have
caused me to doubt two supposed "facts":
1. Is this really an example of lese majeste? Or is it a dramatic way of
expressing income disparity?
2. If your source is sure that it is not available in Burma, the critique
implicit in this makes much more sense.