Re: Relase Unlikely for Aung San Su (r)

Subject: Re: Relase Unlikely for Aung San Suu Kyi

>    Diplomats, human rights groups and the American lawmaker who met
> with her last winter say they are dismayed that the military
> government of Myanmar, formerly Burma, is still refusing to open
> any sort of dialogue with Mrs. Aung San Suu Kyi despite its
> suggestion earlier this year that it was ready to negotiate.
>    ``Certainly I am disappointed that the SLORC has not engaged in
> a dialogue with Aung San Suu Kyi,'' said the lawmaker, Rep. Bill
> Richardson, using the acronym for the State Law and Order
> Restoration Council, the formal name of the junta.
>    ``It seems that they used my trip as a PR exercise. I think
> they're playing for time.''

Richardson would have know he *WAS* being use for PR excercise if he had
meet with representives of NCGUB, the paralle goverment, in Washington D.C
or Asian Institute for Democracy (NG0). But he never bothered to contacted
those people who were working on Burma matters long before Richardson.

>    Richardson, D-N.M., who met with Mrs. Aung San Suu Kyi in
> February, said in a telephone interview from Washington that he
> planned to return to Myanmar in August and that he still held out
> ``the faint hope'' that he might be able to convince the junta to
> open negotiations with Mrs. Aung San Suu Kyi.

I wouldn't hold my breath on it.

>    He said he had originally planned to return to Myanmar this
> month but that the government asked him to delay the trip until
> after July 20, the fifth anniversary of Mrs. Aung San Suu Kyi's
> house arrest.

SLORC wants to down-play Daw Aung San Suu Kyi's detention and will never
let Richardson play the game on his terms. If his visit serves a certain
purpose for SLORC, they will let him in. Richardson visit to ASSK was
cleverly timed right before the Human-Rights convention in Geneva if my
memory serve me correctly.

Ct