Open letter to ASEAN Ministers

/* Written  6:07 AM  Jul 12, 1994 by atiah@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx in igc:soc.cult.burma */
/* ---------- "Open letter to ASEAN Ministers" ---------- */
OPEN LETTER TO
FOREIGN MINISTERS of the
ASSOCIATION OF SOUTH EAST ASIAN NATIONS (ASEAN)
at the July 1994 ASEAN POST-MINISTERIAL MEETING
in Bangkok, Thailand.

8th July 1994

Dear Sirs,

	Re: ASEAN POLICY ON BURMA (MYANMAR)

On behalf of the 45 million people of Burma whose voice cannot be heard at
the ASEAN meeting, we wish to convey their message and ask you to consider
the following points in regard to your policy development:

	SLORC is not a legitimate government

Burma's ruling State Law and Order Restoration Council (SLORC) ignored the
results of the national 1990 elections and has not changed its original
military objectives to incorporate political reform.  The SLORC is not the
legitimate government of Burma.

We ask that you look closely at activities in Burma, and not only listen
to the opinions of the SLORC.

	SLORC is a threat to regional security

The SLORC is expanding its military capacity.  We ask you to question why
they are doing this? What is their real purpose?  Is it more than just
maintaining control over the Burmese people?

Until there is political change in Burma, the situation will continue to be
a serious threat to regional security.  We believe ASEAN needs to be clearer
in its policies of "constructive engagement" to ensure that ASEAN does not
create a long term security and military problem as a consequence of pursuing
short term economic benefit.  The SLORC uses money earnt through trade and
investment to further build up the military which threatens the stability of
the South East Asian region.

	SLORC does not respect ASEAN

If ASEAN members are considering admitting the SLORC as a representative of
Burma, we urge you to think of the long term consequences of this action and
reject SLORC in favour of strengthening the international democracy movement.

ASEAN should not welcome Burma as a member because the SLORC does not respect
ASEAN.  The SLORC refused to accept a visit from an ASEAN representative and
the Philippine Foreign Minister was only permitted to meet with the SLORC in
his capacity as a representative of the Philippine Government.

1 of 2

	Consider long term benefits for the people of ASEAN and Burma

Policy decisions should be made in order to achieve benefits in the long
term - not only for the people of Burma but for the people and economies of
your countries.

Some ASEAN countries derive benefit from their relationship with the SLORC.
These actions are short-lived, myopic and detrimental for the people of
Burma.
We urge companies in your countries to stop engaging in exploitative
ventures with the SLORC.

We hope "engagement" can be constructive with the people of Burma in order
to bring long term benefits to the whole region, that we can achieve greater
regional stability, more sustainable economic development, and better
relations in the long term for mutual benefit.

The situation in Burma is a regional issue, not an internal matter.  Burma's
economic, social, political, military and environmental situation affects the
situation in other countries in South East Asia, in our region.

We urge you to implement a constructive policy on Burma for the whole region.

Yours respectfully*,

PO Box 286
Broadway  NSW  2007
AUSTRALIA

*  On behalf of the participants at the seminar "Burma's Democracy Movement"
at Sydney University on July 8, 1994, including individuals and
representatives of Burmese community groups, academics, students, trade
unionists, human rights activists, journalists, government officials, and
non-government organisations in Australia.

cc/-	the Australian Foreign Affairs Minister
	all diplomatic missions in Australia
	the SLORC representative in Australia
	the Australian Parliamentary Friends of Burma
	the Human Rights Subcommittee of the Australian House of
            Representatives
	the National Coalition Government of the Union of Burma
	the Democratic Alliance of Burma
	the All Burma Students Democratic Front
	the United Nations Special Rapporteur on Myanmar (Burma)
	Nobel Peace Prize Laureates
	Australian and international media

2 of 2