Burma Play in Congress 8/8/94

Dear Friends of Burma;

	Yuzana Khin has been performing her play, RA Fight for RightsS with the help of Amnesty International throughout the west coast.  Her play was seen by a staff member of Congressman Tom Lantos.  The staff person approached the congressman, his wife, and members of the Congressional Human Rights Caucus with the idea of having Yuzana perform in front of members of Congress in order to mark the 6th anniversary of the 8/8/88 pro-democracy movement.
	A RDear ColleagueS letter (personal inter-congressional memo) has been sent out to all members of both houses of congress urging their attendance and participation in the performance.  The Prime Minister of the exiled Burmese government, NCGUB, Dr. Sein Win will be there as will Ted Kennedy, Daniel Patrick Moynihan, Tom Lantos, Bill Richardson, Dana Rorbacher, and others.  The idea is to get congressional interest in the Burma situation.  Also, copies of the Congressional Record which mention either the plight of the Burmese people or Aung San Suu Kyi, will be presented to Richardson so that he may hand carry them to Suu Kyi during his scheduled visit later this month.
	We are asking that members of congress and interested members of their staff attend the performance and possibly write a letter of support to be placed with the other materials carried by Richardson.
	We need you to call your two Senators and representative (Washington offices) and ask to speak with the person handling human rights in Burma.  Once directed to the appropriate person, tell them that you understand that the office has recently received a RDear ColleagueS from Congressman LantosU office detailing the performance (8 Aug at 5 PM in the Gold Room of the Rayburn Building) and that as a constituent who is interested in Burma, you urge that they attend.  Also include the idea of a potential letter of support for Suu.
	The following is a copy of a letter being sent out to other friends who are interested in the struggle for justice in Burma.  Certainly, if you can attend the performance, or know of friends who might enjoy it, please come or encourage your friends to do so.

Dear Friend:

	With the courtesy of Congressman and Mrs. Lantos, we are going to focus attention in the U.S. Congress on the human rights situation in Burma.  August 8 is the 6th anniversary of the Burmese people's pro-democracy up-rising.  While our leader, Nobel Laureate Daw Aung Sun Suu Kyi has recently completed five years under house arrest, the Burmese people continue the struggle for justice in her name.  The Congressional Human Rights Caucus in co-cooperation with Amnesty International are presenting my play A Struggle for Freedom.  It will be preformed in the Congressional Gold Room (Rm 2168) in the Rayburn House Office Building on the Eighth of August, 1994 from 5 pm to 7 pm.  A reception will follow with members of Congress, their staff, NGOs, and persons interested in the Burma struggle.  In addition, the art of Burmese political refugees Yin Min Nwe, Ko Min Htet, and Ko Myo will be shown.
	Therefore, I would like to invite all of our friends who care about Burma and its struggle for human rights to join with us.  Daw Aung Sun Suu Kyi and all the suffering Burmese people will be freed with the support of people like you.  If you would like more information, please contact Rachel Kleinfeld at (202) 293-9072.

Sincerely,

Yuzana Khin