Comprehensive Response (1/2)

>From : Dr U Ne Oo, uneoo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

To   : reg.burma-list subscribers

Date : 12 October 1994.

Note : Please do not repost following materials to  other public nets.

Dear friends:

I have sent following letters to various NGOs and Expatriate Burmese and
asked for their support. Likewise, I should also like to ask your supports
for this action. Please write letters to UN Secretary-General.

Best Regards, U Ne Oo.
------------------------LETTER TO NGOS AND EXPATRIATES--------------------

Re: A Comprehensive Response to Burma's Refugee Problem

Firstly, I should like to thank you for your support to Burmese people and
their struggle for democracy and freedom. You may probably know,
there has been an early sign of improvement of situation in Burma:
meeting between military junta and the opposition
leader, and an un-confirmed report of progress in regards to
the cease-fire agreement between Burmese army and Democratic
Alliance of Burma.

I believe Burma has now been at the cross-road and therefore
to have attention and support from the international community is
most crucial at this time. Enclosed paper is regarding with the
issue of United Nations and international community in supporting
the restoration of peace and democracy in Burma.
In particular, the suggestion has been made to make a comprehensive
response to Burmese refugee and displaced people problem.

My appeal to you as a person/organization is to write to the
Secretary-General of the United Nations, Dr Butros Butros-Ghali,
and support the deployment of civilian peace-keepers inside Burma.
Please also urge him to help solve Burma's refugee problem and the
political conflicts.

Finally, I thank you for your kind interests in Burma and supporting
Burmese people.  Please feel free to contact me for any matter regarding
with the action.

\closing{Yours sincerely,}
PS: To activists in Australia, please also send a copy of
your letter to Senator Gareth Evans and ask the Australian Government
to sponsor those issues.
\end{letter}
\end{document}
---------------------Letter to UN Secretary-General---------------------

\documentstyle[12pt]{letter}
\textwidth=150mm
\textheight=245mm
\headheight=0cm \headsep=0in
\topmargin=-1cm
\renewcommand{\baselinestretch}{1.0}
\begin{document}
\begin{letter}{Dr Butros Butros-Ghali\\The UN Secretary-General\\United
Nations New York NY 10017\\United States of America.}
\address{Dr  U Ne Oo\\48/2 Ayliffes Road\\St. Marys SA 5042\\Adelaide, AUSTRALIA.}
\signature{(U Ne Oo)}
\raggedright
\parindent=0cm
\date{October 5, 1994.}
\opening{Dear Secretary-General,}
\underline{Re: The United Nations General Assembly Resolution on
Burma/Myanmar}

I wish to draw the Secretary-General's attention to the problem of Burmese
refugees and displaced people of Burma/Myanmar. These Burmese refugees
and displaced people have been forced to flee from their homes by the
ruling military junta, the State Law and Order Restoration Council(SLORC).
As a Burmese refugee, I appeal the UN Secretary-General
to make initiatives, at this UN General Assembly, to rectify the human rights
abuses in Burma/Myanmar so that these refugees and displaced people
will be able to go home.

I also enclosed the paper,``A Comprehensive Response to Burmese Refugee
and Displaced People Problem''. I call upon the Secretary-General to
take appropriate measures regarding with the suggestions made in that
paper. In particular, I wish the Secretary-General to authorize the
deployment of expanded peace-keepers in Burma in order to (1) promote
greater respect for human rights, (2) to improve humanitarian situation
and (3) to assist in an orderly and peaceful transition to democracy in
Burma/Myanmar.

Finally, I should like to thank you for your continuing effort in
promoting the World's Peace. My sincere thanks are also for your kind
attention given to Burmese people and Burma.

\closing{Yours faithfully and sincerely,}

\underline{copy to:}\\
(1) Ms Sadako Ogata, UN High Commissioner for Refugees, Case Postale 2500,
CH - 1211 Geneve 2 Depot, Switzerland.

(2) Senator the Hon. Gareth Evans, The Minister for Foreign Affairs,
Parliament House, Canberra A.C.T. 2600.
\end{letter}
\end{document}