ethnic politics

I heard today from Saw Benjamin of the United Wa State Anti-Narcotics and
Development Organization.  He said that
1) the Wa withdrew from the National Convention in September , 1994.
2) That the Wa formed the PDF (The Peace and Democracy Front)
Consisting of 5 groups, the Lahu, the Palaung, Akha, Wa, and the Kokang.
2 groups of Shan and 2 groups of Kachin were approached but have not
responded to the proposal.
3) the DAB and the PDF are now actively discussing the possibilities
for political cooperation.

 If Shan groups decide to join the talks, than a Salween Federation of
groups is a distinct
 possibility with Mon all the way up to the Kokang
and possibly Kachin. What do folks
 think about the possibility of a new
country stretching from the Andaman Sea all the way
 up the Salween to
China?

I also heard from Lian Uk that in conjunction with the crackdown
on Chin refugees in
 Mizoram, that leaders of the Chin National Front
have been arrested and detained.

 Michael Beer

Take Care,
Michael Beer