Project Maje: Soundbites

Date: Fri, 16 Dec 1994 06:59:56 -0800

SOUNDBITES FROM THE APOCALYPSE II
compiled by Project Maje,
14 Dartmouth Rd., Cranford NJ 07016 USA
October 10, 1994

PORTERS "If we called 3 truckloads of porters we usually only needed
1 truck to send back those who were left. They only got a mess-tin full
of rice to eat, so they all die. They're neglected and ignored, so they
die. Some were killed in battle, hit by bullets and killed. Some plucked
leaves in the forest because they didn't get enough food, ate them and
got cholera, diarrhea or dysentery and died. They didn't get enough
water, so they had to drink from the streams and got dysentery. Some
tried to run away but they couldn't go far because they were weak from
lack of food so they soldiers recaptured them and killed them. They
shot them. Some porters were too weak or sick to climb the mountains.
so the troops killed them. I saw this so many times."
-- Zaw Myint, a Burma Army defector, interviewed by Karen Human
Rights
August 7, 1994

THE GAS PIPELINE "The slave labor charges are supported by the
top official of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees in
Thailand. 'There seems to be a general pattern of making use of local
labor force without paying them,' says Ruprecht von Arnim, the
UNHCR representative in Bangkok. 'I know slave labor has been used
for other purposes, and once the gas pipeline is to start, it is most
likely that it will be done the same way. "'
--Asian Wall St. Journal Sept. 9-10, 1994

UNOCAL "'We're committed to the project, and it's an important part
of our Asian growth strategy,' says a UNOCAL spokeswoman. 'In
terms of the pipeline, the government of the country is responsible for
protecting the elements of the infrastructure. We're convinced the
pipeline will be kept secure. "'
-- AWSJ, Sept. 9-10, 1994

Constructive Engagement "Emotionally charged words like 'despots'
and 'recalcitrant' [re: the SLORC] do no good toward advancing
mutual respect and good-will or forming the foundation for an open
exchange of views."
-- Gino Soave of Emmark Assoc., letter to NY Times, October 2, 1994

BOYCOTTING PEPSI "...you really are dealing in coercion and
strong-arm tactics. It's no different than what years ago was practiced
by Joe McCarthy and the like. In those days, 'Establishment
organizations' felt fully justified in using intimidation on progressives
and liberals, feeling their noble purpose justified anything. They were
wrong then, just as you are wrong now, in my opinion. Like a
blacklist, a boycott is just another form of intimidation, and those
despised tactics of the past are no different than what you are doing
yourself. That we are a big, pretty successful company doesn't change
the principle, at all."
--Wayne Calloway, CEO of PepsiCo, letter July 25, 1994

MON REFUGEES
"Asked how the refugees would get enough drinking water, which has
had to be trucked in regularly, the Sangkhlaburi [Thailand] District
Officer, Kamol Rangsiyanun replied: 'They can drink rain water. "'
-- The Nation (Bangkok newspaper) Aug. 19, 1994

ROHINGYA REFUGEES "In the backdrop of the situation, the
Rohingya Muslims of Arakan, who once did not volunteer to die or
suffer at the hand of the beastly military forces of the ruling junta and
took shelter in an alien land, are now seemed to volunteer to join the
repatriation only to become human cattles, who are now being
sporadically and secretly slaughtered in northern Arakan, in addition
to those forced labour economic hardships and various restrictions
imposed."
--Newsletter of Rohingya Solidarity Organization, August 15, 1994

CHIN REBELS "CNF will do everything it can to frustrate oil
exploration and logging in Chin forests and the Chin State."
-- a Chin National Front representative, September 5, 1994

CEASEFIRE IN KACHIN STATE "Consider: 1) Slorc has doubled
the strength of the Burma Army in Kachinland by approximately
30,000 men. 2) Slorc has forbidden the Kachin Independence
Organization (KIO) to recruit. 3) The KIO can no longer collect taxes.
4) The Kachin public is barred from making contact with the KIO by
the all pervasive Article 17/1 of the criminal code. 5) The mass
migration of Burmans and Kokang Chinese to Kachinland. 6) Increase
in racism and religious intolerance. 7) Burmanization and
monopolizing of civil service."
-- a letter to The Nation [Bangkok] Sept. 26, 1994

POWs "If we captured Karen soldiers we never kept them alive. We
killed them. The NCOs didn't even interrogate them, they just said,
'Pray to your God' and killed them with a bayonet, then beheaded
them. Then sometimes they fried their heart and liver and ate it. I saw
Corporal Aung Myint do this. This was done often by the Sergeants,
Warrant Officers and sometimes Company Commanders. The
company commander gave the order to kill the prisoners, and got the
officers or NCOs under him to do it. Once we found a wounded Karen
soldier and they stepped on his throat to kill him. Other times they
killed wounded Karen soldiers with a bayonet. I saw several Karen
soldiers executed like this, and also villagers with connections to the
KNLA [Karen National Liberation Army]. If they suspected any
villagers of being in contact with the KNLA they summoned them,
and they never used a gun -- just a bayonet. Usually the Lance
Corporals and Corporals did it, sometimes the Sergeants. They had no
real evidence -- if they didn't like the look of a civilian they'd just
accuse him of being connected to the KNLA and kill him."
-- Zaw Myint, Burma Army deserter, KHRG interview, August 7,
1994

THE TATMADAW [BURMA ARMY] "Any of our own soldiers who
were seriously wounded were killed. If it isn't serious if they can walk
or if it's easy to take them, then they're taken back. If not they're killed.
The company commander orders this. When I saw things like that
happen I feel very sad. It's a terrible fault. Our own soldiers, we must
bring them back but we didn't. It's a crime. It's like frog eating frog,
fish eating fish."
-- Zaw Myint, Burma Army deserter, KHRG interview, August 7,
1994

THE SLORC "...others say the junta simply feels the need to appeal to
a populace that largely hates them. 'They are evil and they are idiots,'
says a Burmese national who asked for anonymity...'With every
mistake they make they are digging their own grave,' says an elderly
Burmese man who once worked for the British colonial government in
Burma. 'You don't even have to push them in, they will fall in by the
weight of their own mistakes.' The last time this man spoke with a
foreigner he says he was taken away to a military camp for a day's
interrogation."
-- Christian Science Monitor, September 23, 1994

letters to the SLORC: Gen. Than Shwe, Chairman, State Law and
Order Restoration Council
Ministry of Defense, Sule Pagoda Rd., Yangon, Union of Myanmar
(Burma) letters about the pipeline: Mr. Roger Beach, CEO, UNOCAL
Corp., PO BOX 1600, Los Angeles CA 90051 letters about
Pepsi/Burma: Mr. Wayne Calloway, CEO, PepsiCo, Purchase NY
10577.