BurmaNet News: Jan 12-13, 1995

Date: Fri, 13 Jan 1995 22:54:48 -0800

************************** BurmaNet **************************
"Appropriate Information Technologies, Practical Strategies"
BurmaNet News: January 12-13, 1995
Issue #95

Contents:

***************INSIDE BURMA***************
**AUNG SAN SUU KYI
   ASIAWEEK: BRAVE EXPECTATIONS

**RELIGION
   BKK POST: BURMESE TO SEE RELIC AGAIN

**BUSINESS
   NATION: BURMA SEEKS REVOLUTIONARY ZEAL IN DEVELOPMENT EFFORTS
   BKK POST: LOXLEY TO LAUNCH CELLULAR TELEPHONE SYSTEM IN BURMA
   BKK POST: BURMA EYES TOURIST DOLLARS

**********ETHNIC AREAS**********
**KAREN STATE
   BKK POST: BO MYA BANNED FROM ENTERING THAILAND

**MON STATE
   CPPSM: INTERVIEW WITH PRISON-WORKER ON YE-TAVOY RAILROAD

**SHAN STATE
   BKK POST: TOURISM IN KENGTUNG IN BURMA'S SHAN STATE
   NATION: SPECIAL ARMY FORCE TIGHTENS NOOSE ON KHUN SA'S EMPIRE
   BKK POST & NATION: FM ASSURES VISITORS THAILAND REMAINS SAFE
   NATION: KHUN SA `MAY TARGET US TOURISTS IN NORTH'
   BKK POST:TRADERS EXPECT BUSINESS SURGE AS NEW CHECK POINT OPENS
   NATION: TEMPORARY CHECKPOINT OPENS
   BKK POST: BURMA CAMP AT BORDER UNDER PROBE

************THAILAND************
   NATION: LETTER TO THE EDITOR--TAKEN TO TASK
   BKK POST: SIAM EXPRESS TO EXPAND PROGRAMMES IN 1995
   NATION: LEO BURNETT REGROUPS
   NATION: LETTER TO THE EDITOR--REFUGEE OR CRIMINAL?
   NATION: JOINT ELECTRONICS MARKETING SCHEME PUT FORWARD

The  BurmaNet News  is  an   *********************************
electronic daily newspaper   *                               *
covering  Burma.  Articles   *                  Iti          *
from newspapers, magazines,  *                 snotpo        *
The  wire services, news-    *             werthatcor        *
letters  and  the Internet   *            ruptsbutfea        *
are  published  as well as   *           r.Fearoflos         *
original material.           *          ingpowercor          *
                             *       ruptsthosewhoare        *
The BurmaNet News  is        *     subjecttoit...Theef       *
e-mailed  directly to        *     fortnecessarytoremain     *
subscribers  and  is         *   uncorruptedinanenvironm     *
also  distributed via        *  entwherefearisanintegralpar  *
the soc.culture.burma and    *   tofeverydayexistenceisnot   *
misc.activism.progressive    *      immediatelyapparent      *
newsgroups as well as        *       tothosefortun           *
the seasia-l mailing         *       ateenoughtol            *
list.   For  a  free         *       iveinstatesgo           *
subscription  to the         *        vernedbytheru          *
BurmaNet News, send          *        leoflaw...Iam          *
an  e-mail  note to:         *        n ota     frai         *
                             *                  d..          *
strider@xxxxxxxxxxx          *                   .D          *
                             *                   aw          *
Subscriptions are handled    *                   Au          *
manually so please  allow    *                   ng          *
for a delay  before  your    *                  San          *
request is fielded.          *                  Su           *
                             *                  uK           *
Letters  to  the  editor,    *                   yi          *
comments or contributions    *                   .           *
of  articles  should  be     *********************************
sent to the strider address as well.  For those without e-mail,
BurmaNet can be contacted by fax or snailmail.

     By fax: (in Thailand) (66)2 234-6674
     Attention to BurmaNet, care of Burma Issues

     By snailmail: (in the United States)
     BurmaNet, care of Coban Tun
     1267 11th Avenue #3
     San Francisco, CA 94122 USA

***************INSIDE BURMA***************
AUNG SAN SUU KYI
ASIAWEEK: BRAVE EXPECTATIONS
2nd Week of January, 1995

A January Date Raises Hopes for Aung San Suu Kyi

In a drama that has been dragging on for years, even the smallest
hints of action are cause for excitement. So it has been with the
house arrest of the world's best-known political prisoner, Aung San
Suu Kyi. Speculation has been mounting in recent weeks that
Myanmar's ruling junta, the State Law and Order Restoration Council
(Slorc), is preparing to release her. Dates mentioned for this or
a related development range from 17 to 20. The matter date marks
five and half years since the 1991 Nobel Laureate's detention
began.

Much of the optimism has been ganerated by U Rewatta Dhamma, an
exiled Myanmar monk, living in Britain. In September, he
successfully brokered the start of talks between the dissident and
the junta. So far, two such meetings have been made public. In
mid-December, the monk returned to Yangon for a month. By some
accounts he received a cooler reception from the junta and as of
last week apparently still had not met either party. But student
exiles believe the monk remains in favour. Says one: "I think Slorc
likes him a lot at the momet."

Some businessmen in Myanmar rushing to tie up deals -- notably in
the banking sector -- ahead of the mid-January dates in
anticipation of a surge economy. Still, optimism seems to be much
stronger outside the country than in. Some of the more cautious
observers in Bangkok believe the terms of Suu Kyi's confinement
might be relaxed, with broader visitation rights or possible
permission for her to begin getting involved in NGO activities.

There has also been speculation that Slorc may announce a release
date later in the year, or at least give some indicationof timing.
But a spokesman of the exile All Burma Students Democractic Front
doubts SLORC's sincerity. Says he: "They will just continue the
dialogue if they can get the upper hand." Suu  Kyi was
secretary-general of the National League for Democracy until SLORC
forced her expulsion after the party won a landslide victory oin
May 1990 while she was in detention.

The election result was ignored by Slorc, which instead created a
"National Convention" to draft a new constituiton. The draft thus
far precludes -- in part because she is married to a foreigner --
any possibility of Suu Kyi becoming head of state. Many observers
doubt that she will be freed until after the constitution is
adopted. Despite the apparent start of dialogue, outside impaitence
with SLORC has not been allayed. The U.N. General Assembly in
December called again for Suu Kyi's release.

In an earlier report, Yozo Yokota, U.N. special envoy on human
rights, noted some material improvements in the country but also
highlighted the continued detention of hundreds of political
prisoners, other serious human rights abuses and doubts about the
new constitution. While in Bangkok in early December, Foreign
Minister Ohn Gyaw dismissed the U.N. criticism as "a ritual thing."
During a 45-minute meeting with Thai Prime Minister Chuan Leekpai,
however, Ohn Gyaw was firmly reminded of the international demands
for Suu Kyi's release. Briatin, the U.S. and Australia have in
recent months separately stepped up efforts to increase dialogue
with Myanmar and advance political reform. That, and increasing
opportunies for economic development, may open the doors wide
enough for Suu Kyi to walk through.(Asia Week)

***************INSIDE BURMA***************
RELIGION
BKK POST: BURMESE TO SEE RELIC AGAIN
Jan 12, 1995
China has agreed to a request from Burma's military government to
allow another visit of a tooth of the Buddha, official
newspapers reported yesterday.
Chinese Premier Li Peng agreed to the request for a return of the
2,500-year-old relic in 1996 during his visit to Burma last month,
the reports said.
Hundreds of thousands of Burmese Buddhists turned out to pat thieir
respect to the relic when it was carried throughout the country in
an elaborate 45-day procession that began last
April. (BP)

***************INSIDE BURMA***************
BUSINESS

NATION: BURMA SEEKS REVOLUTIONARY ZEAL IN DEVELOPMENT EFFORTS
January 13, 1995

Burma's military leader Gen Than Shwe has called on the gov-
ernment and people to implement all development tasks "as
though waging a revolution," an official newspaper reported
yesterday.

Than Shwe told a meeting on Wednesday of the ruling junta and
regional military commanders that Burma's political, economic and
social development had been mixed during the past year. The general
urged greater efforts, the Mirror daily said.

"Both the state and the public desiring progress and develop- ment
are duty-bound to implement each and every undertaking as though
waging a revolution," Than Shwe said.

The junta, formally called the State Law and Restoration Coun- cil
(Slorc), has designated fiscal 1994-95 as "the year of all round
development."

It has set a goal of 6.4 per cent economic growth during the year,
or a gross domestic product of $10.25 billion.
The Slorc's third quarterly meeting is scheduled to continue today.

It was believed by observers here to be very important.
But no details of its deliberations were immediately
available.

The Mirror, lauding Than Shwe's speech in its editorial, said the
Slorc was increasing its efforts to turn Burma into a
peaceful, prosperous and modern state.

It urged the Burmese people to accept the Slorc's leadership and
enthusiastically support its development efforts.
The Slorc came to power in 1988, crushing nationwide pro-
democracy protests and cracking down on the opposition.

Reuter adds: Burma and Indonesia have agreed to step up
cooperation in agricultural technology, livestock breeding and
fisheries, state-run newspaper reported yesterday.

The two countries signed two memorandums of understanding on
Wednesday.

They covered the exchange of technology, research training and
study tours.

Indonesian Minister of Agriculture Baharsyah Syarifuddin was in
Rangoon on Wednesday for the signing cereminies, the
reports said.

He left later in the day at the end of a three-day trip.
Burma and Indonesia will produce finished goods and boost
exports in the agricultural, livestock and fisheries sectors to
their mutual benefit, the reports said. (TN)

BKK POST: LOXLEY TO LAUNCH CELLULAR TELEPHONE SYSTEM IN BURMA
Jan 12, 1995

Loxley President Thonchai Lamsam, said that this year the
cellular telephone system to be installed by his firm in Burma will
be the first project run by Thais. The Burmese project will be
operated by a new firm and is expected to be operational by
February, with 100 million baht in investment. (BP)

BKK POST: BURMA EYES TOURIST DOLLARS
Jan12, 1995

Burma is looking to its beaches to attract more tourists
during "Visit Myanmar (Burma) Year" in 1996, a state-run
newspaper said here yesterday.

"The unspoiled beauty and peaceful environment of the beaches is
sure to attract lots of tourists who prefer to seek out quieter
places," the Mirror daily quoted Tourism and Hotels Minister Kyaw
Ba as saying.

Lt-Gen Kyaw Ba had returned to rangoon after touring southwest
Arakan state early this week it said. (BP)

***************ETHNIC AREAS***************
KAREN STATE
BKK POST: BO MYA BANNED FROM ENTERING THAILAND
January 12, 1994

Interior Ministry Intelligence officials were reportedly
trying to verify reports that Bo Mya, leader of the rebel
Karen National Union in Burma, had already sneaked into
Thailand.

A ministry source said the ministry was ordered to try to
prevent General Bo Mya from making movements in Thailand and from
using the country as a springboard to go to a third
country.

Interior Deputy permanent Secretary Chaiwat Hutacharoen
insisted that General Bo Mya must have legal travel documents if he
wanted to enter Thailand.

Immigration police would be held responsible if General Bo Mya
managed to enter Thailand illegally, Mr Chaiwat said. (BP)

***************ETHNIC AREAS***************
MON STATE
CPPSM: INTERVIEW WITH PRISON-WORKER ON YE-TAVOY RAILROAD
Committee for the Publicity of the People's Struggle in Monland
January 1995

Interview with escaped prison-worker on the Ye-Tavoy railroad.

"Nai Aung [name changed to protect identity], a 28 years old man
from Bassein is now in a camp on the  Thai-Burma border. Just days
ago he was doing backbreaking labour on the  railroad between Ye
and Tavoy. A railroad that has been dubbed "Death  Railroad 2" by
observers because of the intensive use of forced labour.  Nai Aung
is not a villagers from one of the nearby townships like most  of
the other workers, in September he was sentenced to three years
prison  for elephant hunting. It is the first time it is known that
prisoners are  used in the railroad construction. Work by prisoner
are common in Burma.  Recently pictures were released showing
prisoners in chains digging the mud  outside Mandalay palace. I met
Aung Bo Than at th 25th November, he told me  about the work and
how he managed to escape."

The work

"The work is to dig and move the soil. Our group of 200 prisoner in
the Koe  Mine prisoners camp (just south of Ye) were divided into
groups of ten  persons. Each of these groups were given an square
of 40 x 60 feet wide and  one feet deep to dig and move. We were
given the work in the morning at  6.00 a.m. and if we had not
finished by 11 a.m. we were beaten by sticks  (in Burmese called
"Namba" sticks. I were also beaten at the back, the neck  and in
the face. At 11.00 a.m. we got food, and we worked from 12.00 to
04.00 p.m. in the afternoon. After that we walked back to our camp.
We got  only 5 minutes for taking bath. There were many kind of
prisoners, but I  don't think there were political prisoners amoung
them. I think it was   Battalion 343 that guarded us. (A map is
drawn to show how the soldiers,  special police and and ordinary
police are placed around the workers to  stop them from fleeing.
The map is reproduced at the end of this  article."

The escape

"On the 21 of October 15 prisoners were ordered to help the local
monk to  build a monastery. I was not amoung those selected, but I
paid on of the  guards some money and were taken to the monastery
to help the monk. I was  put to cut bark (in burmese called yein,
used as rope) to give to the  police. When nobody was looking I
told my friedn to run away. We ran for 30  minutes. A villagers
helped us to take of the chain on the feets. He also  told us the
direction to the border area. We also got food from villagers.  I
finally came to X, name of ethnic insurgency camp. I gave them the
chains  I had been carrying and told them I wanted to be a soldier.
I think we  would die if we had to work for 3 years."

"The prisoner tells that he was arrested by an police group
(Hayecan) in  Irrawaddy division for illegal hunting, although he
was given the gun to go  elephant hunting by another police group."

About the life in prison.

"He stayed in Bassein (Petein)prison one month until 21 october. He
heard  said that it was 80 political prisoners in this camp. The
political  prisoners stayed in a section called "Kowya". Among them
were one monk, I  know him wel because I had the job of feeding him
everyday. The monk was 60  years old. He stayed 5 years in prison.
The monk asked me to do politcal  movement. The monk was in robe,
he did not wear prisoners dress. He stayed  in a very small, dark
room (wthout window)."

ILLUSTRATION OVER RAILROAD WORKSITE FOR PRISONERS

,-----------------------------,,,
I,I,,,
I,----------------------,I,,
I,I,I  I,,
I,I,----------------,I  I,
,I,I  I,I  I  I,
I,I  I,I  I  I,,
<YE========I===I==I======XXXX=========I==I===========ZINMBA>
 I,I  I,worksite,I  I  I,
I,I  Iprisoner police I  I  I,,,
I,I,----------------,I  I,
I,I,police,I  I,
I,----------------------,I,,
I,special police,I,,
-----------------------------

army

==== RAILROAD UNDER CONSTRUCTION

XXX WORKSITE PRISONER POLICE AMOUNG THE PRISONERS

"POLICE, SPECIAL POLICE (ANTI TERROR POLICE? FOUGHT THE STUDENTS IN
88) AND  ARMY HAVE CONTROL LINES BETWEEN THEM. THE PRISONERS CAN
NOT CROSS THESE  LINES."

***************ETHNIC AREAS***************
SHAN STATE
BKK POST: TOURISM IN KENGTUNG IN BURMA'S SHAN STATE
Jan 12,1995

Tours by road from Chaing Rai to Kengtung in Burma's Shan
state are growing in popularity, according to Mae Sai-based Ananda
Tours.

Tourism slowed after last year's closing of the Mae Sai boder
checkpoint.

"Kengtung was affected and became less popular among
travellers, so we had to do something by seeking out more
travel agents and representatives to inform them about the
reopening of the border and revival of the Burmese trips," said an
Ananda spokesman.

The Thai-Burmese border reopened to Thais and other tourists in
mid-November.

Silachai Surai, director of the Tourism Authority of
Thailand's Chiang Rai office, said fighting inside Shan state near
the Thai border oppositeMae Sai was the reason for the border
closing last year.

"But both Thai and other nationalities can go there as usual by
van, pickup truck or four-wheel -drive truck, although the world is
still in bad condition," he said.

This season there appear to be fewer tour groups crossing over to
visit Kentung, he said. "But for the long-term, Chiang Mai based
northern Tour has offered this route to interested
Japanese tour groups."

A typical organised tour costs 5,000 to 6,000 baht a head. With
1996 being Visit Myanmar Year, Mr Silichai expects
Burmese authorities to start promoting the country more, and to
open more permanent border checkpoints.

The Mae Sai checkpoint has actually experienced fewer problems than
other points such as Mae Sot, he added. (BP)

NATION: SPECIAL ARMY FORCE TIGHTENS NOOSE ON KHUN SA'S EMPIRE
January 13, 1995

THE Thai army has tightened the noose on the notorious empire of
drug warlord Khun Sa thanks to the work of a special force set up
last October.

The so-called Naresuan Force, formed under the auspices of the
army's Third Region Command on Oct 1, is said to be the most
aggressive measure taken so far by the government against the head
of the self-styled Shan State and marks a distinct
hardening of Thai attitudes.

It follows on from the recent joint Thai-US police crackdown that
reportedly crippled Khun Sa's Thai network.

The Naresuan Force, based in the Mae Rim district of Chiang Mai,
patrols a 500-kilometre stretch of the Thai-Burmese
border from Mae Hong Son's Muang district to Mae Sai district in
Chiang Rai.

Headed By Lt Gen Thanom Watcharaput, the force is assigned to clamp
down on cross-border movement of narcotics, weapons, food and
logistical supplies to and from Khun Sa's Mong Tai Army (MTA).

The Naresuan Force's range of operation covers areas opposite
Burma's northeastern Shan State especially in the territory
controlled by the MTA. The largely-ethnic Shan force has been
fighting a decadeslong guerilla war with the Rangoon
government.

The MTA controls the southern part of the Shan State which forms
part of the so-called Golden Triangle - an area
straddling the borders of Burma, Thailand and Laos, The Golden
Triangle supplies much of the world's opium and heroin to
international markets.

Khun Sa, 60, is of mixed Chinese and Shan descent. He is said to
command a forced of about 20,000 ethnic Shan and has been
conducting a sporadic, decades-long guerilla war with the
Rangoon government.

However, anti-narcotics agencies claim the MTA is more akin to a
private army used by Khun Sa to safeguard his lucrative
opium business than any force of idealistic separatists
engagedin a struggle to obtain independence for ethnic Shan people.

The formation of the Narusuan Force is one of the move visible
results of a more determined stance by the Thai government to
resolve long-standing problems occurring along its shared
border with Burma - problems that include illegal trafficking in
drug and war weapons, cross-border raids and the influx of illegal
immigrants.

According to information released by the Third Region Command, the
government has drawn up a revized policy on national
security in relation to Burma. The 1994-1996 policy has four main
objectives:

* To help Burma be a good neighbour, with stability and
development;

* To improve ties and cooperation with Burma on economic,
education and social aspects, on the basis of mutual benefits; l
*To erase suspicion and promote trust between the two
countries;

* To strengthen security along the Thai-Burmese border.

"At first the army - which was aiming to reduce the number of
personnel - did not approve of the force's formation," a
senior official of the Naresuan Force said.

"However, after being told about the need, the army endorsed the
Third Region Command's proposal."
The army's concern over contraband trade along the Thai-
Burmese border and frequent battles between Rangoon soldiers and
minority forces also contributed to the need for the
setting up of the Naresuan Forces.

The formation of the force was seen as a serious attempt by  the
government to put pressure on Khun Sa. The force aimed to block
frug trafficking into Thailand, as well as the chemical used for
producing drug, foodand medical supplies, and the arms trade.
The powerful Burmese junta leader, Lt gen Khin Nyunt,
secretaary of the Burmese State Law and Order Restoration
Council (Slorc), said last week Khun Sa and his army must be
completely uprooted.

Last year, the Third Region Command decided to close down all
border check-points in Mae Hong Son and Chiang Rai provinces,
effectively curtailing food supplies and basic daily
necessities heading towards khun Sa's area. However, villagers were
allowed to carry necessities into Burma for "humanitarian reasons".

However, recet press Command failes to comply with a directive two
months ago by tha NationlSecurity Council (NSC) which
demanded an "easing " of a regulation banning transport of food
supplies into the Khun Sa-controlled area.
A high-ranking official inn the Third Region Command rejected the
reports as groundless. He said that neither the premier nor the NSC
had instructed an easing of the rules concerning Khun Sa's forces.

The NSC merely said that the prime minister had instructed the
Third Region Command to open newcheckpoints to promote lawful trade
along the borders. The command has cooperated with provincial
authorities," the official said.
"We recently opened a newtrading spot in Mae Hong Son's Khun
Yuamdistrict, and will soon open another one in Chiang Mai's Chiang
Dao district."

However, there were reports that some officials at the Third Region
Command were uneasy over an "unclear directive".
"[In certain spots] there are problemsabout drugs, arms trade and
security. The Burmese {government] forces could raid Khun Sa forces
[near the Thai border] at any time. So how could we open
checkpoints for the border trade ," a source in the Third Region
Command said.

In late November, Thai anti-narcotics police in cooperatin with the
US drug enforcement  agencies arrested 10 of Khun Sa's leading
"lieutenants".

"Their key men later approached the Third Region commad and asked
us to negotiate with police for the release of their men. But we
rejected their plea and told tem to go back,
otherwise we would also arrest them for illegallyentering
Thailand," the source said. (TN)

BKK POST & NATION: FM ASSURES VISITORS THAILAND  REMAINS SAFE

Despite US warning against in Thailand's northern provinces, the
country is safefor all visitors and residents, Foreign Minister
Thaksin Shinawatra said.

"However, local people and foreign travellers should not worry
because this country is still safe to visit," he added.
The warning, issued by the State department on Saturday,
cautioned American against travelling in the northern
provinces, particularly Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai and Mae Hong Son,
for fear of possible reprisals by opium warlord Khun Sa as a result
of November's arrest of many of his leading
lieutenants.

"The US may fear for safety because it has been reported that their
citizens were abducted by khun Sa's soldiers,"
Thaksinsaid without elaboration.

The police officer-turned-ministersaid that he had talked to Police
Department Director General Gen Pochana Boonyajinda yesterday
morning and the police chief assured him that
maximum security will be provided for travellers and local people
in all parts of the country.

"Pol Gen Pochana told me that his department has both tourist and
local police to ensure security and safety for visitors and local
people,'said the minister.

Officials of the US Embassy gave Foreign minister officials advance
notice of the wrning, Thaksin said. He added that it is
understandable the US would take preventative measure.
In a letter dated Spet 2 last year, the US requested the Thai
government to help arrest and extradite 20 of khun Sa's people
wanted on charges of heroin trafficking in the US.
A total of 10 alleged traffickers were arrested in separate raids
on Nov27 and 28 in Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Mae Hong Son and
Bangkok, and are currently being held in custody.

Deputy Foreign Minister Surin Pitsuwan told reporters that the
warning is the United States' assessment of the situation, as there
have been speculations that disorder in a neighbouring country
wouold be likely to affect Thailand.
"We are cooperating to assure the US and other countries that
Thailand is still in peace and has security. I believe that when
the US has considence in the setuation they will revoke the warning
," said Surin. (BP&TN)

NATION: KHUN SA `MAY TARGET US TOURISTS IN NORTH'
Jan 12, 1995
The United States has warned Americans travelling in the north of
Thailand against "possible reprisals" by opium warlord Khun Sa as
a result of the arrest in late November of man of his leading
Lieutenants.

The warning, issued by the State Department on Saturday,
identified three northern Thai provinces - Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai
and Mae Hong Son, - as "the areas of the greatest concern [to the
US]".

The message said American citizens in Thailand could contact the
American citizen services unit at the US Embassy or the nearest
consulate "for updated security information".
The US warning came shortly before the Thai Criminal Court
yesterday deferred until early March a ruling on the United States
application for the extradition of nine of the
arrested suspects, pending further study of the request.
After a ninety-minute session during which only four of the alleged
traffickers were called to attend, the judge adjourned the matter
and set March 3 and March 14 for further hearings. Defense laywers
said the prosecutor had requested more time to study the US
extradition request.

A US embassy spokesperson said yesterday that the extradition
application contained a considerable amount of translated
information and was sent "under cover of diplomatic note" to the
Foreign Ministry on Tuesday.

The judge's decision was also prompted by the absence of the other
five suspects. The Criminal Court had failed to summon them and so
the Corrections Department did not send them to attend the hearing.
In a letter dated Sept 2, 1994, the US requested the
government under the provisions of the 1990 US-Thailand
Extradition treaty to help arrest and extradite 20 of Khun Sa's
people wanted on charges of trafficking one tonne of
heroin into the US, particularly New York City, over the past 20
years.

A total of 10 alleged traffickers were arrested in seperate raids
on Nov 27 and Nov 28 in Chiang Mai, Chaing Rai, Mae Hong Son and
Bangkok and are being held in custody.
The Narcotics Suppression bureau Commissioner, Pol Lt Gen
Somchai Milindankura, said yesterday that one of the suspects, Kao
Chang Ping or Chamnarm Thanakiatpaiboon in Thai, had been arrested
with 0.05 grammes of heroin in his possesion and
would have to serve a sentence for drug possession before the
request for  his extradition was considered.

Although the US Embassy has argued that the 10 suspects are
"basically Chinese" and carried no "official Thai documents," Pol
Lt Gen Somchai said eight of the group were found to hold "genuine"
Thai identity papers.

The two others - Liu feng-te, khun Sa's chief representative in Mae
Hong Son, and his deputy Chang Te-tsai - were found to be
"immigrants" with no "legal" papers.

Of the group arrested, one suspect, Somboon Daengkham, has
expressed his"willingness" to be extradited to the US to face the
trafficking charges.

The outcome of the extradition request would be determined by the
ruling of the court, he added. The criminal court has
rejected bail applications.

Somchai said Thailand has never allowed the extradition of a Thai
citizen to stand trial in the US.

Washington has also requested the extradition of former MP Thanong
Siriprechapong to face charges of trafficking more than 40 tonnes
of marijuana into the US between 1973 and 1987. Laywer Pornchai
Chongsooksri said the defence would try argue that the suspects'
names were not the same as the wanted drug traffickers.
He said his client, Hoe Ming-Te or Chatchai Patharaviboon, who was
arrested in Bangkok on Nov 28, is Thai and not Chinese as charged
by the Prosecutors' Office and had resided in Thailand for a long
time.

"Both the Thai and Chinese names cited [by the Prosecutor] are not
identical [to the wanted man]. The accusation of
nationality, that the suspect is Chinese, is also not correct, "
said Pornchai.

"The suspect is Thai and has been living in Thailand for a long
time and did not just arrive in Thailand as alleged. I have a copy
of his house registrstion certificate, marriage certificate, ID
card and his business documents in Thailand. "Moreover, the
defendant has no record of drug trafficking," he added. Pornchai
said his client also denied any
relationship with Khun Sa.

The defense laywers yesterday produced a lot of legal
documents - ID cards, house registration certificates,
requitment certificates, name change certificates - to
substantiate their argument. (TN)

BKK POST: TRADERS EXPECT BUSINESS SURGE AS NEW BORDER POINT OPENS
by Thaksina Khaikaew (Chiang Mai)
Chiwin Sattha (Mae Hong Son)

January 13, 1995

Thai traders in Khun Yuam District of Mae Hong Son expect a big
surge in business when a border trade point opens at Ban Ton Noon,
which adjoins Doi Kor Province in Burma.

The opening ceremony was held on Monday after provincial
authorities and the Army agreed it was the most secure spot.
Cross-border trade would certainly improve the local economy and
strengthen ties with Burma, said Mae Hong Son Governor Somjet
Viriyadamrong.

The crossing point is about 30 kilometres from Khun Yuam
District, by a laterite road which sometimes incorporates part of
a creek. It enables Burmese traders to operate at Ban Ton Noon
every Wednesday from 6 a.m to 6 p.m at a market provided. If trade
proves successful during a three-month trial period, provincial
authorities may increase the number of days on
which the checkpoint is open. The authorities plan to spend about
40 million baht to improve the road.

"Burmese traders will soon use this passage to transport goods to
and from Thailand as the route is shorter than travelling to Mae
Sai market," Mr Somjet said.

Thai traders along the Thai-Burmese border have been adversely
affected by the closure for more than six months of three
checkpoints at Ban Mai and Nam Piang Din, the longest period of
such closures, the governor said.

Third Army Commander Lt-Gen Surachet Dechativong said those
checkpoints would stay closed because of possible fighting between
Rangoon troops and Burmese rebels.
Thailand was ready to open its border for trade with Burma but the
problem lay with the readiness of the Burmese.
He said he was told by Burmese military officials that the crossing
point at Ban Ton Noon was safe and almost 100 per cent under
government control.

According to Paitoon Raklieu, immigration office chief at Mae Hong
Son, Thais were no longer allowed to trade in Burma for security
reasons.

Thai traders who bought jewellery and antiques, prohibited from
export, were recently arrested by Burmese officials.
The Thais were released after being fined five times the price of
the goods.

Five immigration officers will be stationed at the crossing point
to help Burmese traders. A fee will not be charged.

"This will help solve the problem of illegal immigration of Burmese
via the crossing point. Burmese are allowed to travel only to the
permitted point 1.5 kilometres from the border," he said.

Anuchit Wattanakaiwanwong, the Customs chief at Mae Hong Son, said
he initially expected trading would generate more than 100,000 baht
each day.

"When this place becomes better known, trading is expected to
boom," he said.

Imports of rice, garlic and soybeans are prohibited in large
quantities. Thai traders also want to import logs and jade from
Burma.

He conceded it was difficult to control illegal trade because there
were several illegal trade channels along the border. Boonsong
Yungthong, 43, assistant village chief of Ban Khun Yuam, said Thais
had been trading with Burmese through the checkpoint for a long
time.

They took consumer and household goods to Ban Mae Jae in Doi Kor
Province, about 60 kilometres from the border, where
Karens lived. They paid 50 baht per truck and 10 baht per
passenger to burmese officials as passage fee.

About six trucks from the village operated along this route. Each
trader spends more than 10,000 baht on goods for the
return trip to make a profit overall of 3,000 to 4,000 baht. The
best-selling goods in Burma are canned food, mats,
clothes, shoes and medicine.

The price of Thai goods doubles when it reaches Burma.
The traders never come back to Thailand empty-handed. They buy
local goods from Kayah State such as jungle products, cattle,
antiques and raw jade and rubies.

Mong Yungthong, 42, a village merchant who sometimes enters Ban Mae
Jae to sell consumer goods to Burmese, said there were about 100
traders in Khun Yuam who dealt with Burmese. She estimated these
traders earned in all between two million and three million baht a
month.

U Khin Maung Thein, chairman of the commercial department in Doi
Kor Province, said he was confident more Burmese traders from
Mandalay would use the new crossing point as it was
closer than the Mae Sai checkpoint in Chiang Rai.

The Burmese Government allows its people to export local
products except wood and jewellery.
According to Sithichai Prasertsri, the county magistrate of Muang
District in Mae Hong Son, provincial authorities are pushing to
open another two crossing points at Ban Nai Soi and at Nam Pieng
Din in Muang District.

He said one foreign logging company operated in Burma opposite Ban
Nai Soi, 30 kilometres from Muang District. If a crossing point was
opened there, it would be come the main passage of logs.

Although traders and officials in Khun Yuam welcome the new
checkpoint, Surapong Chuwattankul, president of the Mae Hong Son
City Council, disgrees with the move because of the
distance involved on a rugged road.

It would be impossible to travel to the checkpoint during the rainy
season, he said.

The most suitable area for the crossing would have been Pang Ma Pa
Sub-district in Ban Mai Sant close to a major population centre in
Burma . (BP)

NATION: TEMPORARY CHECKPOINT OPENS
Jan 12, 1995

Another temporary checkpoint was opened on Monday on the Thai-
Burmese border at Ban Huay Tonnoon.

Mae Hong Son governer Somjet Viriyadamrong, high-ranking
officials and chamber of commerce representatives presided over the
opening at Tambon Mae Ngao.

The first to cross at the checkpoint were Burmese traders with four
or five trucks of dried chillies, forest products, herbs and other
products, while Thai traders brought consumer goods into Burma.
Officials say trading will be every Wednesday on the Thai
side, about 2 kilometres from the border line.

The road is still poor but provincial authorities plan to
improve it.  A new road may be developed but only if it can be done
without harming the environment, they said.

BKK POST: BURMA CAMP AT BORDER UNDER PROBE
Jan 12, 1995

The provincial governer and the Third Army region Commander
yesterday said that a border committee will have to look into the
problem of burmese troops setting up camp on what is believed to be
Thai territory.

Governer Somgetr Viriyadamrong said the Burmese come in
Kunyuam district some 2 kilometres from the border pass at Huay Ton
Nun was clearly on Thai territory, because there was a border
marker dividing the two countries dating back to
World War Two.

However, a border demarcation committee will have to look into the
matter which is under the responsibility of the foreign ministry.

Third Army Region Commander Lt-Gen Surachet Dechatiwong also said
that the border will have to check it out first because at present
both Thai and Burma "hold different maps".
He said that he did not know when negotiations with Burma
would be held. (BP)

************THAILAND************
NATION: LETTER TO THE EDITOR--TAKEN TO TASK
Jan 12, 1995

When I opened The Nation on January 4, I was so shocked I
vomited. Right there, smack in the middle of the newspaper was a
full colour piece of propoganda glorifying the military
nincompoops (commonly known as SLORC) raping Burma. How The Nation
can write so many compassionate editorials revealing the horrid
truth of what the dictatorial SLORC is really doing (basically
killing, raping and destroying the Burmese people) and then throw
in this piece of mindless propoganda escapes me.

Perhaps it is The Nation's own version of destructive...sorry,
constructive engagement. I would certainly hate to think your
honourable newspaper would sink so low as to glorify SLORC in
exchange for a few hundred thousand baht's added turnover. Over the
past two decades, The Nation has come far thanks to its
hard-hitting style and fearless journalism. How in God's name it
can sell out to a military regime hell-bent on
destroying its own people escapes me. But it sure as hell
ruined my breakfast on the 4th.   (Napachad Gaertner-Bangkok)  (TN)

********************************
BKK POST: SIAM EXPRESS TO EXPAND PROGRAMMES IN 1995
Jan 12, 1995

Managing Director of Siam Express Staporn Sirisinha, recently
announced that in 1995 the company plans to offer more variety and
novelty in its outbound and inbound tours. The company will spend
three million baht on public relations and
promotions, two million baht of that overseas.

For the adventurous and experienced travellers, a safari in Kenya
and a trip to the Seychelles will be offered starting in March.

"We also began to sell a Burma package tour in December and it has
gone well," said Mr staporn. It offers a chance to
offer tourist attractions in Rangoon. We have to wait for
Mandalay as accommodation is not good and it will take some time
for hotel projects to be completed. Accommodation is
still a sellers' market in Burma, with the price too high when
compared with the standard of luxury." (BP)

********************************
NATION: LEO BURNETT REGROUPS
Jan 12, 1995

Advertising agency Leo Burnett Ltd will this year focus on training
and new business development, as part of its plan to cope with the
growth in the advertising market in the Asia- Pacific region.
Indochina's advertising market is moving rapidly and it will be
worth about 10 per cent of the market volume of Thailand in 1997.
Jeff Fergus, regional managing director for Asia-Pacific,
noted that the advertising industry in Vietnam will this year grow
by 40 per cent with total expenditure of about US$ 80 million
compared to US$ 58 million in 1994.  The Burmese
advertising industry is  also expanding fast with total
expenditure of about US$ 25 million last year which is
expected to jump to US$ 40 million by the end of this year. (TN)

********************************
NATION: LETTER TO THE EDITOR--REFUGEE OR CRIMINAL?
Jan 12, 1995

I've been thinking about this for quite a long time without being
able to reach a conclusion, as the laws and regulations convering
refugees in this country are so difficult to
understand.

There are thousands of Burmese refugees in Thailand,
especially in Bangkok,  who are supported by United Nations High
Commision for Refugees, to the extent of Bt 2,500 per refugee per
month for living costs, medical care, and some basic education
courses under UNHCR's education programme. Generally, anyone (who
doesn't understand the real situation of these refugees) would
think that they have got very good facilities. Certainly, it is
true if you compare with the situation of Rwandan refugees. So,
what's up?

As I understand, they are political refugees in this country (not
criminals), who fled from their country because of the brutality of
their government. They came to Bangkok for the hope of being
considered as refugees by UNHCR and with the dream of going back to
a third country, the same as some other refugees from Sri Lanka,
Iran, Afgahanistan etc, who are staying in Bangkok with refugee
status. (All of these refugees from different countries are under
the umbrella of UNHCR but with different treatment.) While other
refugees get Bt 3,000 per month, Burmese refugees get Bt 2,500. It
may be because the other refugees came to Thailand by plane and
therefore they have got higher living standards than Burmese
refugees, who came to Thailand by crossing the border on foot. So,
there is nothing to say about "equality".

One thing which I can't really understand is why the refugees (not
criminals) are being arrested by police and sent to the IDC
(Immigration Detention Centre) charged with illegal entry. then
they are being sent to the border after staying in the IDC for some
days. Then again, they manage to come back to Bangkok by
negotiation or begging somebody. Who else?

Why they don't go to stay in their "paradise"  (so-called Safe
Camp) ? It is easy to understand if you have spent just one day
there.

So, these refugees have to stay in their life circle (border-
bangkok-IDC-border) permanently. Some of the lucky ones have gone
to third countries but most of them are trapped in the circle,
without knowing their future. I am just wondering
whether "political refugee" and "criminal" are the same or not.
(Maung, Mae Hong Song) (TN)

NATION: JOINT ELECTRONICS MARKETING SCHEME PUT FORWARD
January 12, 1995

A joint international marketing programme to coordinate export
activities has been proposed by a Department of Export Promo- tion
working group to coordinate markeying activities among Thai
electrical and electronic exporters.

One of the working group's members, Kritha Thienlikit, execu- tive
of Uniair, said his team has agreed to push for the es- tablishment
of the joint programme to promote locally-made electric goods.
Vietnam and Burma are cited as the first to receive attention.
"initially, we want JIM to help Thai exporters market their goods
in these two countries and later expand marketing activ- ities to
a global level," said Kritha.

Speaking at a seminar on `Marketing strategy for the Export of
electrical / electronic goods to Vietnam and Burma' organized by
the department, Kritha noted that Thai goods are in demand in
Vietnam and thai producers of consumer goods, especially cooling
products such as electric fans and air conditioners, can offer
competitive pricing.

Kritha's working group, which comprises operators in the elec-
tronic/electrical industry, has recently visited Vietnam and Burma
to study market conditions and to excite interest
amongst Thai industrialists.
Already, Thai goods have flooded the two countries across po- rous
borders.

For Burma, the interest in export is not as high as for Vietnam.
However, Nacron Sirichanachi of Telesonic noted that the number of
border traders is flourishing. Despite facing compe- tition from
Chinese made products traded across the northern border of Burma,
electrical/ electronic goods are still com- petitive.
Active border trading with Burma is conducted from the Chiang Rai
district of Mae Sot down to Ranong. Nakorn suggested that to avoid
the problem of exchange rates, exporters should work closely with
local importers. (TN)

NEWS SOURCES REGULARLY COVERED/ABBREVIATIONS USED BY BURMANET:

 AP: ASSOCIATED PRESS
 AFP: AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE
 AW: ASIAWEEK
 AWSJ: ASIAN WALL STREET JOURNAL
 Bt.: THAI BAHT; 25 Bt.3 DUS$1 (APPROX),
 BBC: BRITISH BROADCASTING CORPORATION
 BI: BURMA ISSUES
 BKK POST: BANGKOK POST (DAILY NEWSPAPER, BANGKOK)
 BRC-CM: BURMESE RELIEF CENTER-CHIANG MAI
 BRC-J: BURMESE RELIEF CENTER-JAPAN
 CPPSM: C'TEE FOR PUBLICITY OF THE PEOPLE'S STRUGGLE IN MONLAND
 FEER: FAR EAST ECONOMIC REVIEW
 IRRAWADDY: NEWSLETTER PUBLISHED BY BURMA INFORMATION GROUP
 JIR: JANE'S INTELLIGENCE REVIEW
 KHRG: KAREN HUMAN RIGHTS GROUP
 Kt. BURMESE KYAT; 150 KYAT3DUS$1 BLACK MARKET
                   100 KYAT3DUS$1 SEMI-OFFICIAL
                   6 KYAT3DUS$1 OFFICIAL
 MOA: MIRROR OF ARAKAN
 NATION: THE NATION (DAILY NEWSPAPER, BANGKOK)
 NLM: NEW LIGHT OF MYANMAR (DAILY STATE-RUN NEWSPAPER, RANGOON)
 S.C.B.:SOC.CULTURE.BURMA NEWSGROUP
 S.C.T.:SOC.CULTURE.THAI NEWSGROUP
 SEASIA-L: S.E.ASIA BITNET MAILING LIST
 SLORC: STATE LAW AND ORDER RESTORATION COUNCIL
 USG: UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT
 XNA: XINHUA NEWS AGENCY