Text of Statement by Aung San Suu K

Date: Wed, 25 Jan 1995 10:06:39 -0800
Subject: Text of Statement by Aung San Suu Kyi: "No secret deals"

The following is a statement of Daw Aung San Suu released by her
husband on 23rd January, 1995 in Bangkok.

"It has always been the firm conviction of those working for democracy in
Burma that it is only through meaningful dialogue between diverse
political forces that we can achieve national reconciliation, which is
the first and most vital requisite for a united and prosperous country.
That the international community shares this view is evident from clause
5 of the General Assembly resolution of December 1994 which encourages
the government of Burma to engage in "a substantive political dialogue
with Aung San Suu Kyi and other political leaders, including
representatives from ethnic groups, as the best means of promoting
national reconciliation and the full and early restoration of democracy."

It was in full acceptance of this view and with genuine good will that I
approached the meetings with members of the State law and Order
Restoration Council on 20 September and 28 October 1994. There has not
been and there will not be any secret deals with regard either to my
release or to any other issue. I adhere to the principle of
accountability and consider myself at all times bound by the democratic
duty to act in consultation with colleagues and to be guided by the
aspirations of those engaged in the movement to establish a truly
democratic political system in Burma. I remain dedicated to an active
participation in this movement."

Aung San Suu Kyi
Rangoon
Burma