Demo. in DC - Union Day in Burma

                Democratic Burmese Students' Organization (USA)
                          P.O. Box 91, Rockville, MD 20851
                      Tel: (301) 217-0356; Fax: (301) 770-7416

TO:	Friends and Colleagues of Democracy in Burma
FROM:	Democratic Burmese Students' Organization (USA)
RE:	48th Anniversary Commemoration for Union Day of Burma
DATE:	February 8, 1995

Sunday, February 12, 1995 marks the 48th anniversary of Union Day of Burma.
In 1947, ethnic leaders of Burma, led by General Aung Sun, signed the
National Unity Treaty called Panlong Treaty.  It signified the unity of the
diverse peoples of Burma as they were striving for national independence from
British colonialism.

We are celebrating this commemoration on Saturday, February 11, 1995, in
front of the Burmese Embassy by peacefully demonstrating against the current
military regime, the State Law & Order Restoration Council (SLORC), which has
robbed this profound unity from our nation and our colleges for over thirty
years now. Currently, the Burmese military is heavily attacking Manerplaw
area where our Karen people had lived for over forty years. As a result,
about 10,000 of innocent people fled from their homeland; they have no
shelter, food, medicine and other essential things.

We would, therefore, invite you to join us in the peaceful demonstration to
restore peace, national unity, justice, democracy and human rights in Burma.