SLORC: Whither KNU?, Chapters 21-22 (r)

NLM/SLORC: WHITHER KNU?, CHAPTERS 21-22

Topic 38        Whither KNU? 21 (1/3)
news.reporter   soc.culture.burma        9:57 PM  Feb 28, 1995
(at unique.com) (From News system)

               Whither KNU? - 21                      1/3

             The New Light of Myanmar Newspaper

It was on the night of 5 February 1995.
     The whole village of Layke in  Belin Township was in
deep slumber  on this cold night. Ten KNU men stealthily
approached the village under cover of darkness. U Tin
Aung's family and U Aung Than's family in the village
were in sound sleep.
        Half an hour past midnight...
        Darkness, darker than that of midnight,  billowed.
     The ten KNU men began to fire launchers and small
arms indiscriminately into the village. U Aung Than's
house shook with a huge bang. U Aung Than who came
out of bed half-awake collapsed with his right hand on his
left chest.  Gasping for breath U Aung Than called out
the name of his ten-year-old daughter, Mu Mu.
     The lower part of Mu Mu's body was drenched in
blood. She had been hit by an explosion of KNU heavy
weapon shell.
     Both U Aung Than and daughter Mu Mu lost their
lives at the hands of the KNU.
     U Tin Aung's house was also hit by a heavy weapon
shell. U Tin Aung's daughter, Ma Pyone Khine, 21, died
instantly. A seventy-year-old granny, Daw Nu, got hurt
in her right ankle and right fore-arm.  Layke Village was
rudely awakened. Three innocent persons tragically lost
their lives at the hands of the KNU without even knowing
what killed them.
     It was Nga Mya who ordered attacks on civilian
targets. Nga Mya has been in the habit of ordering
reprisal attacks against civilian targets whenever KNU
camps came under attack. This was nothing new. Kayin
masses, living in towns and villages in Kayin State, have
already had such experiences.
     Nga Nya has decided to resort to vilest means and
most perfidious methods to salvage the collapse of KNU,
triggered by his own folly. He has issued instructions to
burn down towns and villages. He has ordered
assassination of Myainggyingu Sayadaw. His military
reprisals were all directed against civilian targets. As the
West Bloc media sang in praise of him and egged him on,
others helped him materially.
      In the battle for Kawmura, firing of 150mm guns
from the other side of Thaungyin river to help the KNU
caused numerous casualties. The day will come when
those pouring in help to Nga Mya, taking him to be a
hero of democracy, liberator of minority groups and a
champion of human rights, will repent what they had
done. However, should they be helping Nga Mya
knowing him to be what he is, then they must be the
stupidest human beings.
     Nga Mya and his mentors have been resorting to all
means  to give a breathing spell to Htaw Hla and the
KNU men defending Kawmura, also known as New
Wakha. Deafening explosions continued in the omega
bend of Thaungyin river. Opposing forces were
exchanging fire, neither advancing nor withdrawing.
       Htaw Hla went to Hla Min manning a heavy weapon.
      "Hla Min, what are you firing at?"
   "At Khatphalugon and Karlugon, Bogyoke. Enemies
are there".
     "Don't keep firing at the enemies only. Fire at the east
bank too. Only then will they be able to protest to the Na
Wa Ta government that shells have fallen inside their
country".
   "I have already permanently fixed the sights of my
guns".
        Htaw Hla cursed Hla Min.
    "You talk too much. Do as I tell you to do. Ask
Thaung Tin to do the same".
     Htaw Hla instructed Hla Min and Thaung Tin to fire,
frequently, into the other country. Capt Chit Tin also
ordered his gun crew to fire into the other country. The
Border Committee of the other country began protesting
to the Border Committee of Myanmar. Myanmar Border
Committee had also to protest five or six times a day for
their helping KNU with their shellings.
     As the Maesod Committee and the Myawaddy
Committee kept trading protests, Htaw Hla kept grining
secretly.
       Htaw Hla, who repulsed an attack on Kawmura on
8 February with the help of an outsider, had not yet
achieved a final victory. The attackers had not called off
the attack nor finally disengaged. They were simply
containing Kawmura from a distance of about 200 or 300
metres. Shells continued to fall like raindrops and
hailstones.
     On the east bank of Thaungyin river right across
Kawmura, there were Htaw Hla's helpers. A KNU Phado,
together with some few spies, kept waiting for arrival of
casualties. Bribed armed personnel also rendered help. On
13 February, with the help of some  Border Police, 49
casualties from Kawmura were safely delivered to
Maesod Hospital.
                    (continue)

Conf: (i)ndex (u)nread (w)rite (c)apture (v)isit (g)o e(x)it
(q)uit (?)
Conf?  39

Topic 39        Whither KNU? 21 (2/3)
news.reporter   soc.culture.burma        9:57 PM  Feb 28, 1995
(at unique.com) (From News system)

               Whither KNU? - 21                      2/3

             The New Light of Myanmar Newspaper

     On the east bank of Thaungying river, some armed
forces from the other country were together with KNU
men. They had three big communication sets. They
intercepted and eavesdropped the enemies'
communications. Some village headmen, including
Maidaw Village Headman Ah Kyaing, translated the
intercepted messages for them. Facts gathered were
transmitted to Htaw Hla. Arms and ammunition, brought
in trucks, went into New Wakha with ease.
     Htaw Hla was getting high-tech help from radars,
intercepted messages and aerial photographs. The New
Wakha has two entrances from the side of the other
country. But those high technologies were no more able
to boost the morale of Htaw Hla's men. Men from 16th
Battalion kept deserting. They left the battlefield en
masse.
      Htaw Hla contacted Soe Soe. Soe Soe, injured in a
car crash was still unable to sit tight.
         "Soe Soe, can't you do anything to help?"
     "The Thai Deputy Minister's Yangon visit has been
called off. Lt-Gen Khin Nyunt's Bangkok visit has also
been called off".
     "Did you do that?"
     "I did, although I could hardly move about".
     "Why don't you then try to stop Americans from going
to Yangon? Aren't Americans going there to gather
information about poppy fields?"
     "That is where I can't do anything, Bogyoke".
   Htaw Hla cursed Soe Soe and he heard Soe Soe
chuckle at the other end.
     "Don't worry, Bogyoke. The Deputy Foreign Minister
of Norway has issued a statement denouncing the Na Wa
Ta".
         "What has that got to do with me?"
     "The Deputy Norwegian Foreign Minister also said
that an emergency aid of 170,000 dollars for KNU
refugees has been handed over to Dr Sein Win of
NCGUB".
    "We've lost it then. If they want to help the KNU they
should hand the money over to us. If they gave it to Sein
Win, the money will only go into his pockets. That fellow
has made a small fortune. What has our headquarters
been doing?"
 "It has issued a statement reaffirming its October 94
Peace Programme".
 "What was that? About having talks in Tokyo? Here,
Soe Soe, do you think the Na Wa Ta will have talks with
the expatriates?"
  A series of explosions disrupted Htaw Hla's contact with
Soe Soe. Htaw Hla sent a message to the Chief Liaison
Officer asking for as many heavy arms, small arms and
hand grenades as possible. In fact this was a message
Htaw Hla had to keep sending every day. The 13th
February was coming to its ugly end. Htaw Hla gained
contact with Law Wadi in the evening.
    "What's the situatio,Boyk?"
  "Arms and ammunition situation is good. But manpower
has dwindled as a result of casualties and desertions. Only
about 800 now remain with me".
  "I have coordinated with Brig Shwe Sai. Will send men
from 6th Brigade in trucks from the east bank of
Thaungyin river".
    "Don't do it, Law Wadi. It is dangerous to have a large
group of 6th Brigade men. I don't trust them. These
fellows are not very pleased with General Mya. If you
want to, send men from 104th Battalion urgently. Jiprow
and Phawdo are near me with 300 men each".
     "I will do my best".
     "What's headquarters doing?"
    "The KNLA yesterday formed the No. 1 Ariya Weikza
Force. Led by Phongyi Nai Aung Hla.  To launch
organisational counter-offensive".
     "But Nai Aung Hla is not a phongyi".
     "They have their separate assignments".
  "Where did you send the casualties?" To Htuwahlu
Refugee Camp.?
  "No. There is danger of 'Yellow Heads' coming and
kidnapping them. I have instructed Col  Soe Soe to
vacate two houses from Htuwahlu urgently".
   Htaw Hlu had to cut short his contact with Law Wadi.
It was because he was given a report about a desertion of
ten KNU men of 16th Battalion. Htaw Hla angrily cursed
7th Brigade Commander Htain Maung.  Men sent  to him
by Htain Maung had not been of any help to him: in fact
they had become a burden. Htain Maung's 7th Brigade
had promised him that they would harrass the enemy from
the rear and on the flanks, but nothing had happened yet.
     Htain Maung contacted Johnny.
     "Johnny, can't you do anything?"
     "Yes, I will".
   "You keep saying that. You are going to get a message
right now. Then, you will understand".
     "Can't you let me know now?"
   "Enemy might be eavesdropping. Yellow Heads know
our communication systems. Just carry out instructions
when you receive them. We made complete arrangements
last night. Don't worry about possible political
repercussions. Let me know if you need ammunition".
   "That's enough, I know now what it is. I will send some
more of my men to fetch ammunition. But I have no
porter right now. I have also given some information to
Major Htaw Lai. You will learn what it is when you
receive my report, Bogyoke".
    "You know those towns Hla Kaw used to fire at, don't
you?"

                   (continue)

Conf: (i)ndex (u)nread (w)rite (c)apture (v)isit (g)o e(x)it
(q)uit (?)
Conf?

Topic 40        Whither KNU? 21 (3/3)
news.reporter   soc.culture.burma        9:57 PM  Feb 28, 1995
(at unique.com) (From News system)

               Whither KNU? - 21                      3/3

             The New Light of Myanmar Newspaper

     "I know them".
   "I will send you some 107mm rounds. Do what Hla
Kaw used to do".
     "I will  try to take that town. They have nothing in the
rear. They may have  only some
policemen".
     Johnny bragged.
  7th Brigade Commander Htain Maung continued to
issue instructions to his other fighters like Major Htaw
Lai andd Major Htu Kyaw.
     "Use the rounds you took  way to fire at enemy camps
big and small, towns big and small, villages big and small,
burn and destroy. Don't worry about political
repercussions on our KNU. Our KNU has become an
international hero.  Do as you are now ordered. General
Mya himself has issued orders to attack civilian targets.
Obey General Mya's orders.Targets are Kawkareik,
Hlaingbwe, Hpa-an, Donyin, Shwegun, Dawlan, Nabu
and other towns and villages. Don't be afraid. Be brave.
We are now being seen as frightened".
      Johnny replied to Htain Maung.
     "I have been planning a foray and it is nearly complete
now. There is no problem where other places are
concerned. Paing Kyon is now opposing us. It is Paing
Kyon's turn after this round. I will attack to boost my
men's morale".
  "Don't tarry, Johnny. Have no fear about possible
political repercussions. This is General Mya's orders, you
know that? Burn the towns down immediately. Be
ruthless. Don't spare women or children or even dogs".
     "My men will be in action within an hour, Bogyoke".
     At about 8 pm on 14 February, 15 KNU men stealthily
approached Kawkareik under cover of darkness. They
fired two rounds of RPG for the shells to fall wherever
they may. They fell in Khaneintmu quarter on the
outskirts of Kawkareik. Three dwellings were burnt
down. The KNU men opened fire with small arms for
about two minutes aiming at places where there were
lights. They hit and they ran as fast as they could, true to
the hit and run fighting style.
     U Thaung Tun, 42, Ma Thida Win, 18 and Ma Moe
Moe Win, 20, of Khaneintmu quarter were hit by small
arms rounds. Johnny reported back to Htain Maung.
   "We have smashed up Kawkareik Police Station,
reduced it to ashes. Three policemen killed. My boys are
now in high spirits".
     His boys were drunk and Johnny thought  they were
in high spirits. Nga Mya was very much pleased with
Johnny's action.
     "Any information about Phado Mahn Yin Sein?"
     "The Yellow Heads must have killed him".
     Hpa-an District President Phado Mahn Yin Sein, with
a very long KNU tradition, had donned yellow robes on
15 February 1995 in the presence of Myainggyingu
Sayadaw. He has grown fed up of Kayin revolution. But
this has become an important matter for the West's media.
Piqued by this 'diamond cuts glass' incident, they
continued to wail on behalf of the KNU.
     At 8:30 pm on 18 February 1995, KNU hard-core
agents lobbed handgrenades at the petrol pump of
Penwegon town. They hurled two grenades that shattered
two glass windows. Nobody was hurt. This was a
dastardly attempt to burn down the town.
     With great effort Nga Mya stirred his obese body.
     "Law Wadi, do you have any contact with Soe Soe?"
     "Bogyokegyi, he is now doing his duty..."
     "Alright, I have instructed all my men to fire on towns
and villages with heavy arms and small arms. I have
instructed them to explode bombs everywhere. I have
asked them to poison wells and tanks with potassium
cyanide. I have one more thing to do".
            "Yes, sir...?"
     "I have asked Soe Soe to get me some chemical
bombs, has he got any by now? Must explode them
among my men, must explode them at Kawmura. We may
lose four or five men. I will have their bodies
photographed. I will have them videotaped. I have asked
them to bring in two Japanese to see for themselves how
the Na Wa Ta army has been using poison bombs. The
Na Wa Ta government will then become another Iraq. Do
you know what happened to Iraq...?"
   "It suffered an international trade embargo,
Bogyokegyi".
     "Yes, that is what they told me. Well, get more
potassium cyanide, poison bombs and bacteria bombs.
Try and get them urgently".
     Law Wadi's eyes bulged. He transmitted General
Mya's ideas to Lieutenant-General Tamla Baw. Poor
Tamla Baw. He was distressed. Htaw Hla and his boys
were fighting and dying under orders of Nga Mya. But
they were now to die not in fighting but of poison bombs.
Tamla Baw made a firm decision.
           The battle for Kawmura continued to rage fiercely.

Topic 41        Whither KNU? 22 (1/3)
news.reporter   soc.culture.burma        9:57 PM  Feb 28, 1995
(at unique.com) (From News system)

                     Whither KNU? - 22                   (1/3)

                        The New Light of Myanmar Newspaper

     Shells from heavy weapons began
falling on Kawmura in volleys. Firing became
more effective  than on previous days.
Fortified bunkers were getting destroyed one
after another. Casualties were mounting. Htaw
Hla was at wit's end. He begged the other
bank  to help him by returning enemy fire. But
firings from the other bank became ineffectual.
He began to panic. His men were getting killed
one after another. Some has fled swimming
across the Thaungyin River.
     His spirits rose when Lieutenant-
General Tamla Baw ordered him to come to
the communication set. That was a straw for a
drowning man. Tamla Baw was the Vice Chief
of Staff. He was the deputy leader in KNU
military affairs.
     "General Sir, will I be getting
reinforcements tonight?"
     "Stop hoping for reinforcements. 6th
Brigade, too, can't help".
     Htaw Hla's spirits sank. Tamla Baw's
tone had a peculiar slant.
     "Then, what must I do?"
     "You withdraw..."
     "Sir...? You mean I evacuate? General
Mya's orders?"
     "I am giving you orders as your
immediate superior. Begin your evacuation
tonight. You will get killed if you fail".
     "Where must I go?"
     "Go to Khwaykalok Refugee Camp.
>>From there try to get into 6th Brigade sector".
     "Sir, I don't think 6th Brigade area will
be good for me".
     "Then, stay in Khwaykalok".
     "i..."
     "Carry on and God bless you. There is
no time".
     Htaw Hla promptly decided to obey
Tamla Baw's orders. He had lost his
attachment to Kawmura Camp, turned
dreadful with dead bodies. He had forgotten
his proclamation to the world that he would
continue to fight even if he were the last man.
He no longer felt like fighting the last battle in
the last year of Kayin revolution.
     He gathered his junior leaders. Now
only he remembered God. They prayed to God
to spare their lives. The prayer meeting ended
a little past ten at night. They then got ready to
abandon the position. They sent the wounded
across the Thaungyin. Heavy weapons were
dismantled and moved out. Some of his men
would have to keep firing to cover their
retreat. He had to select personnel to make a
last ditch stand. Then only would the rest be
able to leave unmolested.
     Lt-Gen Tamla Baw waited till 3 am of
21 February to send a report to KNU
President Nga Mya and Vice President Phado
San Lin.
     "As a commander, I have ordered
troops from Kawmura to evacuate to 6th
Brigade area".
     KNU men were stunned. Law Wadi
contacted Soe Soe who was then on the other
bank of New Wakha.
     "What happened, colonel? When did
the evacuation begin? Whose orders? General
Mya is furious about it".
     "They began evacuating at six o'clock
in the morning.  Have lost contact with 101st
Battalion communication. I think they will
come to you.  Comrades told me it was Vice
Chief of Staff's orders".
     "Was it like Manerplaw?"
     "Worse. All overhead bunkers have
been destroyed. Enemy keeps firing furiously".
     "Has the enemy advanced?"
     "They will be coming soon".
     The KNU from Kawmura kept rushing
back to the other bank of Thaungyin river.
KNU leaders who kept issuing orders in safety
on the other bank, without themselves joining
the fight, were shocked when they heard that
Kawmura was about to fall.
     The only entrance to Kawmura Camp
in the omega bend of Thaungyin river was
about 200 metres wide. It was barricaded by
eleven barbed-wire obstacles with mine fields
and innumerable booby traps in between. Past
the barbed-wire were three more
communication trenches and firing pits.  Ten
concrete bunkers manned by six or seven
troops stood as formidable bulwarks on the
foremost line of defence. Bunkers reinforced
with teak logs were able to withstand heavy
shelling.

                    (continue)

Topic 42        Whither KNU? 22 (2/3)
news.reporter   soc.culture.burma        9:57 PM  Feb 28, 1995
(at unique.com) (From News system)

                     Whither KNU? - 22                   (2/3)

                        The New Light of Myanmar Newspaper

     Why must such a fortress fall?
     Only those who fled Kawmura for their
lives knew why.  The eleven barbed-wire
barricades had been shattered long ago. Mine
fields head been repeatedly hit by shells and
had now become clear ground. Concrete
bunkers had collapsed. Many troops have been
killed and many have fled. Manpower had been
depleted. No reinforcements came from 7th
Brigade. They straggled away en route.
Harrassment of the enemy from the rear and
from the flanks did not materialise.
     "Manpower, ammunition and funds
will only be exhausted at the end".
     Htaw Hla must, probably, be
recollecting Maj-Gen Maung Maung's words.
In fact it had become impossible for them to
remain in Kawmura. They had lost 97 of their
men between 17 February and 20 February
1995, 118 seriously hurt had to be sent across
the Thaungyin river. About 250 received light
injury.  Even they might die of haemorrhage.
They could not go on without getting medical
attention.
     There were heavy arms destroyed  and
small arms burnt in the same four days.  They
had lost 42 heavy arms and over 400 small
arms. Worse was their inability to organise an
orderly evacuation. The 16th Battalion, whose
men had never fought well during the whole
battle and kept running away, threw away their
arms and abandoned the camp to the last men
at midnight 20 February.
     The KNU men of 101st Battalion, left
behind at Kawmura, had lost all resolve to
defend the post. Their morale had dipped to
below zero. Htaw Hla disappeared soon after
the prayer meeting. Remaining officers had to
cope with the withdrawal as best they could.
This disorderly and confused withdrawal
multiplied their losses.
     Nga Mya had repeatedly ordered 7th
Brigade to attack the enemy rear. Htain
Maung kept stalling. He was not able to do
anything in fact. Nga Mya then ordered  6th
Brigade. The 6th Brigade had kept aloof
beginning with the Manerplaw problem. Only
when the Central Committee came into its area
and began direct control did it make some
semblence of activity.
     Nga Mya pressed 6th Brigade and 7th
Brigade up to the night of 19 February, to help
Kawmura. Neither brigade stirred. Htaw Hla
had hoped for help from Johnny and Maung
Tun. Maung Tun, who fled from the Bena
bridge fightings, was sheltering in the other
country far from the fighting. Johnny moved
towards Kyet-to-yway village but had been
driven back. He was able only to burn down
and fire at a civilian quarter on the outskirts of
Kawkareik.
     Htain Maung pressed Johnny and
Maung Tun for action though he himself
remained in shelter in the other country. He
ordered some of Johnny's men and some of
Maung Tun's men to go to Kawmura to help
Htaw Hla. Not one man arrived at Kawmura.
Soe Soe came from Maesod to the river bank
opposite Kawmura and pressed 6th Brigade to
help Kawmura: nobody budged.
     And thus did the KNU's last and
strongest bastion of Kawmura, otherwise
known as New Wakha, fall. 7th Brigade
Commander Htain Maung asked Htaw Hla to
send his men back to him as soon as he heard
that Htaw Hla had abandoned Kawmura.
     "Request for help. Urgently send back
my comrades who are now with you. I must
get into  Hpa-an District for military
operations".
     Htain Maung gave this stern order to
Htaw Hla who had lost face because of his
humiliating defeat. Htaw Hla gave no reply.
Htaw Hla could not be contacted.
     DKBA forces began entering Kawmura
at 1430 hours on 21 February and took over
the undefended camp within an hour. The
storming of Kawmura caused very little
casualties just like the storming of Manerplaw.
Only two were killed and 10 injured.
     KNU losses between 8 February and
21 February in the battle for Kawmura were
very heavy. They suffered 212 killed, 93
bodies were left unburied in the camp, 231
were injured and in critical condition, 400
were slightly wounded. The DKBA forces
captured two 120mm mortars, eleven 3.5
launchers, one 2.75 rocket launcher, four Point
Five machine guns, six RPG, four Browning
machine guns, one three-inch mortar, three
82mm mortars, four 81mm mortars, four
60mm mortars, four 57mm bazookas and over
400 assorted small arms. Some were lost in the
river.
Topic 43        Whither KNU? 22 (3/3)
news.reporter   soc.culture.burma        9:57 PM  Feb 28, 1995
(at unique.com) (From News system)

                     Whither KNU? - 22                   (3/3)

                        The New Light of Myanmar Newspaper

     A large number of heavy arms and
small arms got destroyed. Two hundred
bunkers, including concrete bunkers, were
destroyed. Five tin-roof houses and 45 huts
were burnt. Communication sets were lost.
     Left behind in good condition were
three armoured vehicles. The KNU lost one
armoured vehicle at Manerplaw. These
armoured vehicles came into KNU hands in a
rather strange way. They did not drop from the
sky. They came through the other country and
then had crossed the Thaungyin river. Their
cost was not so significant.
     The battles for Manerplaw and
Kawmura cost the KNU about 400 dead, over
500 seriously wounded and many slightly
wounded. In all, the KNU lost about 1,000 of
its fighting strength. The DKBA, the armed
wing of the DKBO,  and its collaborators
numbered over 5,000. More are coming to
collaborate with DKBA. Many KNU men
stayed away and did not take part in the fights.
     The KNU collapse was right down the
line  from top to bottom. They splintered. The
leadership was discordant. Those who desired
to remain in the lowest depths of stupidity
together with Nga Mya were in the minority.
The majority hankered for peace. Others had
lost interest in Kayin revolution. Among those
who came to join forces with the DKBO were
many Christians which made it amply clear that
the conflict was not a religious conflict. A
majority of Christians refused to take part in a
genocide.
     Nga Mya lost his wits. Kawmura was
his last straw. That straw had now been
crushed. But Nga Mya's mentors began to
press him to continue a guerilla war. They
advised doing away with permanent
strongposts and going on an active defence.
They tried to turn back the wheel of history of
KNU and to make it start again from the
beginning. Spies also instructed the KNU to
resort to vilest and most perfidious of other
means.
     A Myanmar proverb goes: "Big thieves
become robbers and big robbers become
rebels". Nga Mya became a rebel leader
through a streak of good fortune. But the
above proverb will now have to be reversed.
"Small rebels will become robbers and small
robbers will become thieves". Nga Mya's
guerilla group will now have to tread this path.
     Nga Mya has a mentor he fears most
close by him. It is none other than his own
wife, Naw Larmu. Nga Mya has to do
whatever Naw Larmu says. He daren't go
against Naw Larmu. Everybody at the KNU
central headquarters knew that Nga Mya was
henpecked.
     "I have been telling you this for a long
time. We are already very rich and should be
satisfied with that much. But now we are still
unable to enjoy our riches in peace. We can
always go and live either in Chiangmai or in
Bangkok and live in peace and luxury".
     Nga Mya fears Naw Larmu. But his
riches are only the cream of Kayin  revolution
earned with the sweat and blood of his
followers.  Nobody is now likely to willingly
let him do that. And what about those hidden
hands that have been manipulating strings tied
to him?