Visit Burma '96 - NOT!!!

 ->From: BTF@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Barton Shulman)
 ->Newsgroups: soc.culture.burma
 ->Subject: Re: Independent travel in Burma

 >In <fb7c8949&9502280911.AA14023@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> tun@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 >writes:

     >Go to the Burma/Thai border and you will see Burma as it really is!!!

 ->Good luck getting there.  When I was there, I was very tightly
 ->controlled in terms of where I could go.  I definitely only saw the
 ->Burma that the government wanted me to see.

To get to the border, you have to go to Bangkok then take a overnight bus to
Mae Sot or to Mai Sai. Now that god-damn SLORC had overran students and
KNU camps, I don't know what the status is.

 ->However, that being said, I did see prison labor being abused all over
 ->the place, and many people told me that they absolutely HATED the
 ->government and that while the people seem "happy" by western standards,
 ->that is because of their faith, not because of the situation in the
 ->country.  They are miserable and terribly oppressed.

At least you got the message.

Ct