FutureWork Net

Dear Interested Netters;
	The following is one of the net that anybody can access and I hope it
will be useful for you.
**************************
>From:	PO2::"soc-summit@xxxxxxxxxxx" 31-MAR-1995 18:34:14.33
To:	devel-l <devel-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subj:	FW Info for other lists (fwd)

Here's info on a list some of you might be interested in.  Its one of the
best IMHO

Mike Gurstein

New FUTUREWORK List     December 19, 1994

        FUTUREWORK: RE-DESIGNING WORK,INCOME DISTRIBUTION,EDUCATION

This is the launch of a new listserv, FUTUREWORK, an international e-mail
forum for discussion of how to deal with the new realities created by
economic globalization and technological change. Basic changes are
occurring in the nature of work in all industrialized countries.
Information technology has hastened the advent of the global economic
village. Jobs that workers at all skills levels in developed countries once
held are now filled by smart machines and/or in low-wage countries.
Contemporary rhetoric proclaims the need for ever-escalating competition,
leaner and meaner ways of doing business, a totally *flexible* workforce,
jobless growth.

What would a large permanent reduction in the number of secure,
adequately-waged jobs mean for communities, families and individuals? This
is not being adequately discussed, nor are the implications for income
distribution and education. Even less adequately addressed are questions of
how to take back control of these events, how to turn technological change
into the opportunity for a richer life rather than the recipe for a
bladerunner society.

Our objective in creating this listserv is to involve as many people as
possible in re-designing for the new realities. We hope that this list will
help to move these issues to a prominent place on public and political
agendas worldwide.
The FUTUREWORK listserv is hosted by Communications for a Sustainable
Future (CSF) located at the University of Colorado at Boulder.  As the
coordinator of FUTUREWORK, I invite you become part of our effort.
FUTUREWORK is an unmoderated and open list, so all messages posted to the
list will be redistributed around the world.

To subscribe to FUTUREWORK, send the message below to
listserv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

        SUB FUTUREWORK  Yourfirstname Yourlastname

To post diectly to the list (once you are subscribed), send your message to:

        FUTUREWORK@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
or              FW@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Together with others who are interested in addressing the new realities,
I look foward to meeting you on the FUTUREWORK list.

Sally Lerner
University of Waterloo
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
lerner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

                 *Futurework (FW) Announcement*
                 FW-L: A Second, Moderated List

After much discussion about how best to keep a quality Futurework list
thriving, we are going to try out something.   The Futurework (FW) list
will continue to function very much as it presently does and there will be
a second, moderated list named FW-L which will serve as a "quiet
room" for working groups--think of a small chaired meeting--as well as a
'bulletin-board' to post notices about recommended books, articles, other
documents, other Net sites, conferences, even job openings, etc. relevant
to the future of work and to the roles of education, community and other
factors in that future.

Thus FW will continue to be an open discussion and debate forum which we
will post to and keep track of, but not moderate.  FW-L will serve
subscribers as a calmer place to post and browse. Sally Lerner and
Arthur Cordell will serve a co-moderators for FW-L. Normally, posts to
FW-L should be limited to one screen.

We value all the good energy, ideas and enthusiasm that Futurework has
brought forth in the past five weeks. We hope that having two lists,
together with setting FW mail on Digest if they wish, will allow busy
people to stay subscribed and continue the valuable conversation.

To subscribe to the moderated list, FW-L, send the following message to
listserv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

   sub FW-L  yourfirstname  yourlastname

To subscribe to the FUTUREWORK (FW) list, send the following message to
listserv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

   sub FUTUREWORK  yourfirstname  yourlastname

To unsub, send a message to  listserv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  saying
   unsub FUTUREWORK    or
   unsub FW-L

       FUTUREWORK@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  or FW-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

To receive messages in digest form, send a message to
listserv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx saying
   set FUTUREWORK mail digest    or
   set FW-L mail digest

To access the archives for both lists, gopher or ftp to
   csf.colorado.edu
find psn (Progressive Sociology), then Futurework under psn.

Archives are also available via the FW WWW Home Page (under
construction) at the URL/location
  http://csf.colorado.edu/FW

Sally Lerner
LERNER@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx