DBSO Newsletter

DEMOCRATIC    BURMESE      STUDENTS 	ORGANIZATION
                                NEWSLETTER

Vol 1 No 2                                      	                 7 February
1995
****

" We must persevere in the struggle... and learn to liberate our minds from
apathy and fear."

-Aung San Suu Kyi

Menerplaw was taken but struggle for freedom will continue
January 31, 1995

	Menerplaw, headquarters of Karen National Union and  other democratic forces
was overrun by SLORC forces on January 27, 1995. SLORC forces with the help
of defecting Buddhist Karen soldiers ( members of Democratic Karen Buddhist
Organization ) attacked Menerplaw with estimated 15,000 soldiers using heavy
artilleries.
	However,  KNU vowed  to continue their struggle despite of the loss of their
headquarters. In a statement released by KNU, they say, "Fall of Menerplaw is
not the end of the Karen revolution. We will keep fighting until democracy is
achieved in Burma and ethnic minority groups are free from
oppression...Today, we lost a battle, but we will never lose the war. " KNU
also requests immediate assistance for the refugees. Their statement says ,
"At this point there are close to 10,000 refugees in three different areas on
the Thai side of  border across from Manerplaw... The refugees urgently need
food and medical supplies. Please send any contribution you can as soon as
possible. Thank you.
	Contribution can be sent to:      Burma Relief Center
                                                         P.O Box 48, Chaing
Mai University
                                                         Chaing Mai 50002
                                                         Thailand
            Make your check payable to "Burma Relief Center".

Aung San Suu Kyi 's message to freedom fighters
Bangkok, January 23(Reuters)
	Daw  Aung San Suu Kyi's statement was brought by her husband Dr Michael Aris
and obtained by Reuters on Monday. In the statement, she said' "There has not
been any secret deals with regard either to my release or any other issue...I
adhere  to the principle of accountability and consider myself at all times
bound by the democratic duty to act in in consultation  with colleagues." In
her messages she said she would always, "be guided by the aspirations of
those engaged in the movement to establish democratic political system in
Burma" and remained "dedicated to an active participation in this movement."

												Page 2
D.B.S.O Stand  on "Fall of Menerplaw".
	We praise members of Karen National Union and All Burma Students Democratic
Front who bravely defended our symbolic democratic capital "Menerplaw".
However, it is not the end of our struggle for democracy and human rights. As
KNU says, we lost a battle but not the war.
D.B.S.O bows to continue the struggle for freedom and democracy in Burma. We
will work together hand in hand with all democratic forces. D.B.S.O writes a
letter to President Clinton urging him to pressure SLORC to stop using
military means in solving internal political problems, and requesting
Thailand to take humane measures towards Burmese refugees.
 	The taking of Manerplaw is a military victory for SLORC, but it is also
political loss for them  especially when they are trying to convince the
international community that they are genuinely interested in establishing
democracy and solving internal political problems by a peaceful mean.
Attacking Manerplaw is the latest proof that SLORC is not a trustworthy
regime who will keep their words. Asean may reevaluate the constructive
engagement policy due to the result of this attack.   Japan also may
reconsider their decision to give assistance loans to SLORC. Many countries
policies and attitudes towards SLORC will be undoubtedly affected. We will
keep up our efforts to press the international community for positive
changes.
	D.B.S.O members act in response to the Menerplaw refugee crisis have so far
collected $410.00 and has  already sent it to them. This is one of the ways
to show solidarity with our friends. All of  our members are strongly urged
to send a donation to this noble cause. Please send your donations to D.B.S.O
(East Coast) office. Make your check payable to Myo Min Thein .( In memo
section, please write "for Menerplaw refugee". Please act now. They need your
help.

SLORC does not admit that Menerplaw was occupied by its forces, but by
Buddhist  Karen soldiers.
January 31, 1995
	In a statement released by Burmese embassy in Jakarta, SLORC denied  that
its troops took Manerplaw, but it had merely provided logistical support for
an attack by rebel Buddhist Karen soldiers (Democratic Karen Buddhist
Organization) DKBO. In the statement, it says "No government troops were
involved in the attack, only logistical support was given to the DKBO." DDSI
chief Khin  Nyunt gave a speech in Pa-an, "...So for the sake of peace and
tranquillity in Kayin state and security of the life of people, the Tatmadaw
provided necessary assistance to the DKBO group."
	Student sources on the border say, Rangoon TV  shows a DKBO flag flying over
Manerplaw. SLORC is trying to convince the international community that
Manerplaw was taken  by DKBO, not by them. It is very doubtful that SLORC's
aim will be achieved.

Prime minister Dr Sein Win condemns SLORC attack on KNU
	NCGUB released a statement regarding SLORC attack on Manerplaw. In the
statement, they say, "By attacking Manerplaw SLORC has shown it was
deliberately misleading the international community. This is the beginning of
real problems for SLORC...We repeatedly told the world that SLORC is not in
anyway sincere about national reconciliation, peace and
												Page 3

democracy."

Australia joins chorus of protest against Burma
Canberra, January 31 (Reuters)

	Australia joined a chorus of international of  protest on Tuesday against
the attack by Burma's military on a rebellious ethnic minority living on the
border with Thailand. Australian Foreign minister Gareth Evans said, "The
ongoing offensive, which has sent thousands of Karen refugees into Thailand,
is a blow to Burma's emerging peace process and cast serious doubt over the
government's intentions.",

Canadian Friends of Burma also made a press release on the attack of
Manerplaw, denouncing SLORC  for their action.
January 27,1995

Protest in Japan
January 29,1995
	Burma democracy activists in Japan rallied in Nara for a "fax-in
demonstration" to protest the attack on Manerplaw, and to urge Thai
acceptance of Burmese refugee and asylum seekers. Members and supporters of
the Burma Relief Center in Japan sent urgent messages by fax and E-mail to
world leaders, government representatives, and influential newspapers calling
for a condemnation of  the SLORC takeover.

Thai's constructive engagement policy will not be changed
February 1, 1995
	Thai foreign minister Thaskin Shinawatra said, attack on Manerplaw will not
lead to a change in Thai's policy for the time being. The minister said it
was too soon to conclude whether the policy had been a success or a failure,
but the isolation policy used by Western countries has not been fruitful.

Thai Interior Minister said "Refugees will be sent back."
February 1,1995
	Thai interior minister Sanan Kachornprasart said, Karen refugees "will be
pushed back" into Burma "without having to wait for fighting to stop." He
also said he considered the latest Burmese military operation against the
 Karen guerrillas an internal affair of Burma and "not a political matter",
so "we (Thailand) can push the refugee out any time." In his statement, he
says,"My understanding is that it is a military, not a political matter. If
it was a political matter we would give them protection...but I want to
stress that we will certainly push them back, we cannot let them stay here
for years."

Thailand grants temporary shelter to KNU chief and fleeing refugees
February 1,1995
	It was announced by the Thai government that Karen National Union president
Bo Mya and other refugees from Burma will be granted temporary shelter in
Thailand on humanitarian
												Page 4

grounds. However, chairman Bo Mya and other KNU leaders will not be given
special treatment.

Offer from Thai House Foreign Affair Committee
February 3, 1995
	Thai Foreign Affair Committee is seeking a meeting with Burmese opposition
leader Aung San Suu Kyi. Its chairman Suthin Nopaket said yesterday,
committee is offering to serve as a go-between Aung San Suu Kyi and SLORC.

FRONT LINE NEWS
February 3, 1995
	A.B.S.D.F troops ambushed and killed four SLORC soldiers and wounded three
in a clashed between third column of student army and SLORC troops from 19th
light infantary battalion, according to a press release  issued by A.B.S.D.F.

Fighting in Minthamee area
February 3,1995
	There is a intense fighting going on between combined KNLA and ABSDF troops
and SLORC troops in Minthamee area. The clash occurred at Kamahaw village,
headquarters of 10th battalion of KNLA, which is located about nine miles
from Htee Htar village. KNLA and ABSDF troops are defending the area and
intense fighting is still going on, the report said. The attack forced about
1200 Karen refugees to flee across the border.

Paw Pa Hta front
	SLORC troops are proceeding to launch offensive against a combined KNLA and
ABSDF  force.

BUSINESS NEWS

Burma gas is to be sold
February 2,1995
	The petroleum authority of Thailand(PTT) concluded a final agreement for
long-term import of natural gas to be developed from Burma's Yadana offshore
gas field. PTT will sign the accord ($ 1.0 billion) with the Yadana
contractor group which includes the French oil firm Total, US firm UNOCAL
group, PTT Exploration and Production, and Myanmar Oil and Gas Enterprise.

Eddie Bauer withdrew from Burma
February 1,1995
	Eddie  Bauer, which produces brand name clothes, announced that they are
withdrawing their business from Burma. In the company statement, "...after
carefully reviewing the current situation in Burma, the company has decided
to move  its future business from all Burmese factories to other factories
around the world upon fulfillment of current contracts."

												Page 5

Khin Nyunt will visit Thailand as a guest of Deputy Prime minister Chamlong
Srimuang.
Bangkok Post, January 20,1995

Shan leader dies
	Shan nationalist leader, Sai Lek died at a Khunsa's camp after a long
illness. His wife and children still live in China. Funeral rites took place
at Khunsa's Hua Maung camp opposite Maung district of Mae Hong Song.

Student leader drowned
December 13, 1995
	Tun Oo, central executive committee member of A.B.S.D.F drowned in Salween
river. The boat capsized on the way from Manerplaw and all the passengers
except Tun Oo were rescued.

DaNyaTa leader defected to SLORC
Rangoon, January 25,1995
	U Zarli Maw, vice chairman of DaNyaTa defected to SLORC, Rangoon officials
said.

Burmese students died in Kobe earthquake
January 31,1995
	Two Burmese students Khin Thet Swe and Wai Moe Lwin are dead and one student
(Aye Thin Hlaing) was injured. (News from Moe Kyaw Thu).

NEWS ON ACTIVITIES OF BURMESE DEMOCRATIC GROUPS

* On January 14 at 1 PM, Washington based democracy groups, D.B.S.O and NCGUB
met at the NCGUB office and discussed how to support Democratic Voice of
Burma.

* On January 16, the International Development Conference, titled Achieving
Global Human Security, was held at J.W Marriot Hotel. More than 1800
development professionals, NGO leaders, business and labor leaders,
professors and students, community activists, journalists, and concerned
citizens attended the conference.

It was a great honor to Burma that Daw Aung San Suu Kyi was reserved as one
of the 15 chair persons for the conference, however she was under
house-arrest in Burma. Karen Mulhauser gave a speech about Daw Aung San Suu
Kyi on the first day of the conference.

Dr. Sein Win (NCGUB) and Mr. Han Yaounghwe (Canada) also attended the
conference. Dr. Sein Win presented a paper, "The Political Tragedy of Burma".

												Page 6

*  On January 18, NCGUB) and NGOs met at the conference room of NCGUB at
12:30 p.m. Mike form IRI, Michael Bohana from Asian Democracy, and Phil
Robinson from AAFLI attended the meeting with NCGUB officials U Bo Hla Tint,
and U Harn Yaunghwe.  ZawZaw attended the meeting on behalf of Mary Pack form
Refugees International.  The meeting discussed two major issues on drug
related matters and legislative matters to new US Congress.

D.B.S.O Activities
	D.B.S.O (East Coast) representatives Ko Yin Aye and Ko  Shwe Sin Htun
traveled to Los Angeles,California and New York and met with students.
Separate meetings were held and future plans were discussed.
	D.B.S.O will follow up news about Burmese who marched out from the safe camp
and are currently detained at a police special detention center. We will
inform you of any improvement in those students' situations.

D.B.S.O (Japan)
	D.B.S.O(Japan) members, together with other democratic groups will stage a
demonstration in front of Burmese embassy in Tokyo on February 12, to
denounce SLORC's attack on Manerplaw.

ALERT! ALERT!

	D.B.S.O is very much concerned about the news that some elected M.P. are
trying to found an organization. In a letter from Peter Linbin,  ex-minister
of NCGUB, says that they are trying to organize elected M.P. to found an
political organization. The group's specific aims and objectives are not yet
available to D.B.S.O yet. We strongly would like to stress the point that,
D.B.S.O will not recognize the organization whose intention is merely to gain
personal publicity or benefits. We are also against the founding of a new
political group if the outcome of founding the group has negative impact on
our struggle. Furthermore, under the present circumstances , we  believe that
founding a new political group will not be beneficial to our struggle .
However, we will support in whatever way we can to see a united organization
composed  of all exiled elected M.Ps.

ANNOUNCEMENT

	New Era journal can be ordered at D.B.S.O, P.O. Box 91, Rockville, MD-20850.
$ 3.0 donation is requested for each journal. It is the only Burmese
newspaper that provides up to date news and interesting, informative
articles. Your donation is essential to keep the newspaper running. Orders
can also be given to: Taw Myo Myint (CA), Aung Kyaw (CA), Kyaw Kyaw Win (CA),
Myo Aung (TX), and Me Me (IN).

	"Death in custody", published by Burma Information Group is available from
Aye Min(Ph-804-359-3119). The book contains original poems by the heroes who
died in SLORC
												Page 7

prisons, and biographies of those martyrs who scarified their lives for the
struggle. $ 5.0 per book (including shipping and handling) is requested.
Please make your check payable to Aye Min.

Action Visit Myanmar 1996
	SLORC has set goals for visit Myanmar 1996. They are intending to attract
500,000 tourists in 1996. Hard currency earned from the tourism industry will
help SLORC to strengthen their economic base.
There is no doubt that part of those money will be used to buy weapons to
oppress Burmese people. Let's not give them this opportunity. Any suggestions
regarding this campaign are welcomed. We will destroy their goals with the
help of our international friends. We, as Burmese have the big responsibility
to initiate this campaign. This is the time to act.

Students Action
	Students living in Vancouver (Canada), and Ottawa (Canada) have being
meeting regularly to discuss future activities and to found a political
action group. D.B.S.O welcome this news and ready to give any assistance they
need. We will be very glad to fully cooperate with our brothers.

News Resources

Burmanet (E-mail)
Freeburma (E-mail)
The Irrawaddy Newsletter   P.O. Box 14154, Silverspring, MD 20911

D.B.S.O offices
United States
MID-WEST         	WEST-COAST			EAST-COAST
219-483-5546		Phone/Fax-818-445-2210		Phone/Fax-301-217-0356
								P.O. Box 91, Rockville, MD 20850
Japan
813-3943-1498

Editor's Note
	Anyone who like to get free subscription of D.B.S.O Newsletter, please call
Aye Min at 804-359-3119 or write to:  Aye Min
			      7 N-Boulevard , Apt 7
			      Richmond, VA 23220
	Please sends news and your local group activities to above address. Any
suggestion regarding the newsletter is welcomed.
??