To Dr. Hla

>From:	PO3::"burmanet-l@xxxxxxxxxxx" "Conference 'reg.burma'"  6-APR-1995 12:03:51.50
To:	Recipients of burmanet-l <burmanet-l@xxxxxxxxxxx>
CC:
Subj:	Re: FutureWork and Burma

Soon Wrote:
> Hi,
> I am new to this discussion. I am a chinese decent from Burma. I think
> the way Mr.Tun Myint describe is extremely unfair as chinese and indians
> in Burma are all opportunitist and they are earning money in unfair way.
> Also such as"100% Burmese". I think this is racist.
		{...................}
Dr. Hla Wrote;
*I totally agree with Soon in describing the previous comments from others in
*this letter as bordering on racist ideology, perhaps coupled with tremendous
*naivete of the modern world.  I think that it is entirely wrong to say that
*some people are 100% Burmese and that they are different from the Chinese and
*Indian immigrants.
	Dear Dr. Hla:
	Welcome to this discussion and thank you for your participation.  I
hope you have read the previous three posting of mine concerning this issue.
Again, I have never said in those posting that Burmese are different from
Indians and Chinese immigrants in term of deserving basic rights in Burma. I
said mostly Chinese immigrants enjoy their live in Burma by doing unfair way of
making money. I pointed such as the penetration in northern Burma currently. If
you were ever in Burma in Rangoon, you might had found SOME Chinese in Lathar
Lan  and Thein Gyi Zay (Thein Gyi Market) sold goods to people differently. If
you speak Chinese, you will get different price and if you don't you will get
different price. It was not so obvious, only people who curious could know that.
I know that because my brother has a shop in Thein Gyi Zay. I every weekend
helped him accounting.  Anyway, my sister-in-law is Chinese-Karen and she knew
that and she does not like it too.

	What do you think the ideology that exist in this case?  How can we not
let happen such thing in the "future Burma."

*Most of the immigrants came to Burma 3-4 generations ago and I am
*appalled to hear that they are foreigners and that they are out there just to
*make money unfairly.  This type of chauvinistic and racist thinking is
*responsible for much of the problems that Burma is facing today.

	It is not necessarily true. The main problem today is the war between
the oppressor and oppressed.

*Look at the countries with progressive immigration laws such as US;anyone born
*in the US and all the naturalized US citizens enjoy 100% of the rights of
*citizenship and are not discriminated in any way.

	Dr. Hla, For the point that I am going to make here, the blame shoud go
to what you have mentioned "coupled with tremendous naivete of modern world."
All nations and nationalities of all nations are trying to preserve their own
identity and development of their nations. That means they care a group of
people who share the same identification as citizens. I here posted this
discussion to preserve Burma's identity as a nation of Burma's citizens.  If
the world in reality and its nature does not allow the existences of those
identities such as American, Chinese, Russian, English or Burmese etc... then
we do not have to preserve the identity. We all human and ought to live on the
whole world as a coutry. But no leader or no nation would agree to give up the
identity of its vision and live like in melting-point.Maybe our grandchildrens'
days. I would rather like to live like this. But I cannot now. My knowledge and
my intuition tell me to preserve the identity of my own country.
	Therefore, the core point that I want to make here is that if you
think my point as a "chavaunist and raicist thinking," in the way in which you
mean as a hard-liner, then you are totally WRONG. I am realist sometimes and
liberal sometimes. However, what I will never change is that I love the land I
was born on and I love the identity of Burma. I was born to preserve thme as
other people of different countries do.

*Look how much immigrants have and are contributing to the US society.
*If countries like Burma had more progressive and smart immigration laws as well
*as social thinking, they would be much more advanced and be able to enjoy the
*fruits of the immigrant's labors.

Yes, I know those points you made. That is why I first in my first posting
tried to find the laws or policy that can help to treat Burma's citizens justly
when it becomes democratic state (I am afraid to use "Burmese citizens" because
as you see my posting was differently intepreted and go to the other direction
rather than I expected).  I want to get the discussion into the direction that
you parallel with U.S immigration situation and its policy.
	Here I have a question, will you agree or do nothing on the
situation that is happening right now in Burma under brutal oppressive regime?
That is many Chinese immigrants currently with the wealth they have in China or
eslsewhere are getting into Burma and cooperate with SLORC and buying land of
those local citizens while those local citizens are relocated by FORCE and
FORCE to abandon their land, by the SLORC.

*As far as I am concerned, every one born in Burma should be considered in
*total as a Burmese citizen.  Children born to Burmese citizens living abroad
*and spouses of Burmese citizens should also be given the choice of becoming
*Burmese citizens if they so choose.
*	Tim

	I 100% agree with you on that point. I have never said or wrote those
people who are foreigners born in Burma don't deserve citizenship. I have never
said to deny those citizenship rights that any human who live in this globe
can become a citizen of any country by the law of those country drawn by the
consent of people.
	Thank you,
	I wish you healthy and Happy
	Tun Myint
	Indiana University
//////////After all, Burma's citizens will decide what they want\\\\\\\\\\\\
*Timothy Hla, Ph.D.
*Scientist II/ Associate Professor
*Department of Molecular Biology
*Holland Laboratory, American Red Cross