BRITAIN OPPOSES TRADE SANCTIONS AGA

Subject: Re: BRITAIN OPPOSES TRADE SANCTIONS AGAINST BURMA

Newsgroups: soc.culture.burma
Date: 28 Apr 1995 18:01:17 GMT

>BRITAIN OPPOSES TRADE SANCTIONS AGAINST BURMA
>    LONDON, April 28 (Reuter) - Britain said on Friday it did not
>believe trade sanctions would help improve human rights in Burma.

       *Yes, No-sanctions will improve the development of the power of SLORC
that has been killing innocent villageers and violating human rights in Burma.

>     In a brief debate in the House of Lords, foreign office
>spokesman Lord Inglewood said new sanctions would hurt the people
>and not the country's government.

	*No sanctions against the country's de facto government will hurt people
of Burma in vice versa.

>     "We do not believe sanctions would be effective without
>international support, which we do not judge to be forthcoming."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
       *This is the MAIN reason that British House of Lords agreed to support
the "constructive engagement," I think!

>     "While we do not wish to offer succour to the regime, we
>don't believe isolating it entirely is necessarily going to
>benefit the Burmese people," Inglewood said.

	*It is true.  Then Mr. Inglewood admits the main problems of the entire
politics of Burma is the existence of SLORC. Correct if I am wrong?

>    But Britain, along with its European Union partners,
>maintains a policy of "critical dialogue" with Rangoon which
>means holding occasional talks in which officials repeat demands
>for better human rights and political reform.

	*SLORC's ears have been deafen with full of wax for such an
internationals  calls for talks.

END////.