BurmaNet News 3rd May #163 (r)

-------------------------- BurmaNet --------------------------
"Appropriate Information Technologies, Practical Strategies"

The BurmaNet News: May 3 1995, Wednesday
Issue #163

FREEBURMA WWW: BURMA CONFERENCE IN CYBERSPACE
NATION: INTRUDERS THREATEN MORE RAIDS
NATION: NO SECURITY THREAT SEEN TO YADANA LINE
BKK POST: BO MYA APPEALS TO UNHCR FOR ASSISTANCE
BURMA FORUM: MEETING REPORT
HUMAN RIGHTS PROJECT: APPEAL FOR HELP
NATION: COMMANDER PAYS PRICE FOR BORDER CHAOS
NATION: ARMY CAN'T AFFORD ANOTHER SLAP IN FACE FROM DKBA
NATION: REFUGEE CAMPS ARE FAR ENOUGH FROM THE BORDER , INSISTS
          SURIN
OBSERVER: BRAVE DEFY FEAR IN BATTLE FOR DEMOCRACY
THE NATION: 4,500 HOMELESS AFTER BURMESE BLAZE
THE NATION: CRACKDOWN ON BURMESE POLICE
BKK POST: UK LORDS VOTE AGAINST SANCTIONS ON RANGOON
BKK POST: 10 HILLTRIBE WOMEN FOUND IN POLICE RAID
BKK POST:THE WEEK IN RETROSPECT
THE NATION: WIMOL PUSHING HARD FOR KAREN REFUGEE RESISTING
MNRC: MON REFUGEES--HUNGER FOR PROTECTION IN 1994
NATION: BURMESE REFUGEES TO BE MOVED FURTHER FROM BORDER
NATION: KNU CHIEF APPEALS TO PM FOR HELP IN INITIATING
NATION: SUMITOMO TO UPGRADE BURMA'S TELECOM
ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER: NEWS ON "BEYOND RANGOON"
THE BANGKOK POST: WIMOL'S REFUGEE CAMP PLAN BACKED

                             o-------------------------------o
The BurmaNet News is an      |                               |
electronic newspaper         |                  Iti          |
covering Burma.  Articles    |                 snotpo        |
from newspapers, magazines,  |             werthatcor        |
newsletters, the wire        |            ruptsbutfea        |
services and the Internet as |           r.Fearoflosin       |
well as original material    |          gpowercorrupts       |
are published.               |       thosewhowielditand      |
The BurmaNet News  is        |     fearofthescourgeofpowe    |
e-mailed  directly to        |    rcorruptsthosewhoaresub    |
subscribers  and  is         |   jecttoit.Theeffortnecess    |
also  distributed via        |  arytoremainuncorruptedinan   |
the soc.culture.burma        |   environmentwherefearisanint |
and seasia-l mailing         |      egralpartisnotimmediat   |
lists and is also            |      elyapparanttothose       |
available via the            |        fortunateenough        |
reg.burma conference on      |         toliveinstates        |
the APC networks.  For a     |         governedbythe         |
free subscription to         |          ruleoflaw...         |
the BurmaNet News, send      |           Fearisahabi         |
an e-mail message to:        |                t.Iam          |
                             |                   no          |
 majordomo@xxxxxxxxxxx       |                  taf          |
                             |                   ra          |
In the body of the message,  |                  id.          |
type: subscribe burmanews-l  |                  Aun          |
[news only mailing list],    |                  gSa          |
or, for the news+discussion  |                  nS           |
list, type:                  |                   uu          |
   subscribe burmanet-l      |                   Ky          |
                             |                   i.          |
Correspondance and letters   o-------------------------------o
to the editor should be addressed to: strider@xxxxxxxxxxx

===============

FREEBURMA WWW: BURMA CONFERENCE IN CYBERSPACE

Following inspiration from Burma Centre Nether-
lands, FreeBurma has arranged a virtual "meeting
room" where the readers of BurmaNet News can
talk to each other and exchange ideas in real time
(instantly) by typing back and forth to each other.

This space has been built in a MUSH.  It is complete,
free, and now available 24 hours.   It is easily
accessible by TELNET, a program available to almost
everyone using a unix system, and most others
receiving the BurmaNet News.  WWW access is NOT
needed.

All persons interested in meeting the others on this
mailing list, keyboard to keyboard, are requested to
express that interest to me, Glen, at
FreeBurma@xxxxxxxxxx  Please include the DAY and
TIME (GMT) that you would prefer to meet.  I will
find a time most convenient to all interested on a
day next week, and post it to the FreeBurma Bulletin
Board and the BurmaNet News.

Further details (and access) are available from
http://199.172.178.200/freebrma/bbs/bbs.htm

Anxious to meet you all,
Glen

NATION: INTRUDERS THREATEN MORE RAIDS
1.5.95/The Nation

MAETAWAW, Burma - Renegade Buddhist Karen who have launched
repeated raids on Karen refugee camps in Tak and Mae Hong Sond
Provinces have threatened more violence unless Thailand forces
more than 70,000 refugees back into Burma.

Leaders of Democratic Karen Buddhist Army [DKBA], which broke
away from the 47 year old Karen National Union [KNU] in
December , said yesterday they expecred all the refugees to
return to Burma, either Volunation or by force , before the
start of the rainy season.

The DKBA threat came as the Army began reinforcing the 250
kilometre stretch of the Thai - Burmese border with soldiers,
paratroops and border patrol police and heavy equipment
including helicopter gunships, jeeps with mounted machine guns
, and recoiless rifles.

The Army has been harshly criticized over the past week for
failing to stop the repeated violations of Thai sovereignty ,
which have been occurring since February .

The successive attacks prompted KNU leader Gen Bo Mya to make
an urgent appeal to the UN High Commissioner for Refugees for
emergency measures to protect and assist the frightened
refugees, many of them homeless and forced to hide in the Thai
jungle .
The DKBA , which is politically and military supported by the
Burmese junta, claimed responsibility for the attacks and
destruction of about 10 border refugee camps.

In their first public exposure since the inception of the
group , six DKBA leaders including a Buddhist Monk , U Yanika,
told The Nation on Saturday at their Maetamaw base that the
violence was intended to forces the refugee to return to Burma