BurmaNet News: May 17, 1995 [#174]

------------------------ BurmaNet ------------------------
"Appropriate Information Technologies, Practical Strategies"

The BurmaNet News: May 17 1995
Issue #174

BURMANET: HILL & KNOWLTON NOT WORKING FOR SLORC
R.A.N./BURMA FORUM: SLAVES CLEAR LAND FOR UNOCAL IN BURMA
BRC-J: CALL FOR COOPERATION ON NETWORKING
BRC-J: SUU KYI TALK IN HIROSHIMA
BRC-J: QUERY FOR BURMANET
NATION: SOLDIER INJURED AFTER CLASH WITH GUERRILLAS AT BORDER
NATION: RANGOON BANS CRITICISM OF THAILAND BY BURMESE
           MILITARY
NATION: TWO KILLED IN KAREN ATTACK
NATION: KEY ANTI-SLORC ACTIVIST URGES THAI PUSH ON BURMA
           POLICY

BKK POST: RANGOON BRINGS IN BACKUP TO CURB KAREN REBELLION
BKK POST: 36 WOMEN HELD IN HOTEL RAID
BKK POST: MAE SAI BORDER CLOSED
BKK POST: BURMA OPPOSITION ASKS FOR 'REVIEW' OF POLITICAL
OPTIONS
THE NATION: SEVENTY PER CENT OF WOMEN IN CHIANG RAI SEX
TRADE FOUND TO BE ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS
THE NATION: RANGOON BANS CRITICISM OF THAILAND BY BURMESE
               MILITARY
THE NATION: SLORC MUST TURN TO DEMOCRACY
FEER: BACK  TO THE HARD LINE

                             o-------------------------------o
The BurmaNet News is an      |                               |
electronic newspaper         |                  Iti          |
covering Burma.  Articles    |                 snotpo        |
from newspapers, magazines,  |             werthatcor        |
newsletters, the wire        |            ruptsbutfea        |
services and the Internet as |           r.Fearoflosin       |
well as original material    |          gpowercorrupts       |
are published.               |       thosewhowielditand      |
The BurmaNet News  is        |     fearofthescourgeofpowe    |
e-mailed  directly to        |    rcorruptsthosewhoaresub    |
subscribers  and  is         |   jecttoit.Theeffortnecess    |
also  distributed via        |  arytoremainuncorruptedinan   |
the soc.culture.burma        |   environmentwherefearisanint |
and seasia-l mailing         |      egralpartisnotimmediat   |
lists and is also            |      elyapparanttothose       |
available via the            |        fortunateenough        |
reg.burma conference on      |         toliveinstates        |
the APC networks.  For a     |         governedbythe         |
free subscription to         |          ruleoflaw...         |
the BurmaNet News, send      |           Fearisahabi         |
an e-mail message to:        |                t.Iam          |
                             |                   no          |
 majordomo@xxxxxxxxxxx       |                  taf          |
                             |                   ra          |
In the body of the message,  |                  id.          |
type: subscribe burmanews-l  |                  Aun          |
[news only mailing list],    |                  gSa          |
or, for the news+discussion  |                  nS           |
list, type:                  |                   uu          |
   subscribe burmanet-l      |                   Ky          |
                             |                   i.          |
Correspondance and letters   o-------------------------------o
to the editor should be addressed to: strider@xxxxxxxxxxx

INFORMATION ABOUT BURMA VIA THE WEB:

Information about Burma is available via the WorldWideWeb at:

FreeBurmaWWW http://199.172.178.200/freebrma/freebrma.htm.
[including back issues of the BurmaNet News as .txt files]

BurmaWeb:  http://www.uio.no/tormodl

Burma fonts:
http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~lka/burmese-fonts/moe.html

Ethnologue Database(Myanmar):

http://www-ala.doc.ic.ac.uk/~rap/Ethnologue/eth.cgi/Myanmar

BURMANET: HILL & KNOWLTON NOT WORKING FOR SLORC

Regarding an earlier posting that the Hill & Knowlton Public
Relations firm has signed on to lobby for the SLORC:  We have
checked out directly with Hill & Knowlton who deny this.
However, we have had reports of Burma-born naturalized American
citizens who are lobbying for the SLORC both in  Burma
and in the USA (especially Capitol Hill).  These individuals
should also by law register with the US Dept of Justice as
foreign agents, otherwise they can be fined $10,000.

R.A.N./BURMA FORUM: SLAVES CLEAR LAND FOR UNOCAL IN BURMA

L.A. Rainforest Action Project          The Burma Forum
Contact: David Wolfberg                 Contact:Dr. U Kyaw Win
++(310) 391-7788                     ++(714) 432-5860
                                       or ++(714) 831-2000

              SLAVES CLEAR LAND FOR UNOCAL IN BURMA

Two weeks before Unocal executives will face shareholder questioning
at  the company's annual meeting, the Bangkok Post has reported of
refugees  entering Thailand to avoid forced labor conscriptions
clearing land for  Unocal's pipeline.  Unocal is in a joint venture
with Total of France and  Burma's State Law and Order Restoration
Council regime.  Unocal had  distanced itself from SLORC's widely
reported slave labor practices by  separating the pipeline issue
from construction of the nearby Ye-Tavoy  railway, which intersects
the pipeline route.

Now, the refugees charge, forced labor, illegal land seizures and
village  destruction is being carried by SLORC directly along the
route of the  Unocal/Total/SLORC natural gas pipeline.  "If the
accounts given by the  refugees prove accurate, the number of
villagers subject to forced labour  on the pipeline could be well
into the thousands," writes the Bangkok Post  on May 7, 1995.  In
mid-1994, the UN High Commissioner for Refugees in  Thailand stated
that it was "likely that forced labour will be used on the
pipeline."

The refugees' eyewitness accounts stand in stark contrast to "Unocal
in  Myanmar (Burma)," a report sent to all stockholders.  Under the
heading  "Absolute Respect for Human Rights," Unocal writes:

     Allegation: Forced labor is being used to clear land
for the pipeline route.
     Fact: This is definitely not true...We would never
          allow such a thing...

Company assertions have come under fire.  Unocal executives admit
that  SLORC is in fact bringing seventeen battalions into the region
- 30,000  soldiers in all - via the railway.  Unocal's report to
stockholders does  not deny that this railway is being built by
forced labor.  An estimated  160,000 Mon and Karen peoples have been
forced to work on the railway.
     Allegation: The pipeline construction project will be
supplied by a railroad that's being built by
          forced labor.
     Fact: There is absolutely no connection between our
          pipeline construction and the railroad exten-
          sion...What's more...we can strictly control
          how roads and other infrastructure for our
          project are built.

Evidently, Unocal has no control over the land clearing phase of the
pipeline project.  A human rights worker told the Bangkok Post that
"SLORC  has used forced labour in the preparatory phases of several
previous old  developments before foreign personnel were brought for
the technology-  intensive phases of construction" according to the
article. "That way," said Kevin Heppner of the Karen Human Rights
Group, "the white guys can  say with a straight face that they
didn't see anything."

Unocal's report to stockholders continues:

     Allegation: Villages along the pipeline route have been
depopulated and the residents forcibly relocated.      Fact: Our
observers saw no such evidence.

Unocal's observers did not speak Mon, Karen, Tavoy, or Burmese and
were  escorted by SLORC personnel.  During helicopter overflights,
SLORC  determined where Unocal was allowed to land.  Unocal's
investigative  methodology was sharply criticized by a renowned
Burma scholar at Rutgers  University, Professor Josef Silverstein,
following a January 4 meeting  with Unocal.

The Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand (EGAT), the sole
customer  of the natural gas, revealed another contradiction in
Unocal's rhetoric in  an ad placed in the Bangkok Post on April 18.
The ad supplement stated  that "Myanmar has recently cleared the way
by relocating a total of 11  Karen villages that would otherwise
obstruct the passage of the gas  resource development project."

Refugees say that land clearing using slave labor began on February
3, the  day after Unocal, Total, the Thai Petroleum Authority and
SLORC signed a final contract.

The Unocal/Total gas pipeline is SLORC's largest foreign venture to
date.  Numerous U.S. companies have withdrawn from Burma amidst a
growing  awareness of Burma's struggle for democracy --
Levi-Strauss, Amoco Oil,  Liz Clairborne, Eddie Bauer, Macy's.
Numerous other companies refuse to  initiate business in
SLORC-occupied Burma, and the Berkeley City Council  has passed a
selective contracting resolution aimed at eliminating  contracts
with firms involved in Burma.  The pressure is increasingly  being
focussed on PepsiCo, Texaco and Unocal -- the most visible U.S.
companies still doing business in Burma.

SLORC massacred thousands of nonviolent demonstrators in 1988, has
held  Nobel Peace Laureate Aung San Suu Kyi under house arrest since
1989, and  was voted out of office in 1990.  Rather than cede power,
SLORC imprisoned  the parliament members-elect and terrorized the
student democracy  movement.  Most of the students have left the
country via the Thai-Burma  border or live in encampments there.

Unocal, meanwhile, still refuses to meet with leaders of the Mon and
Karen  who own the land along the pipeline route, and has yet to
join The Burma  Forum's call for an independent investigation into
the human rights  situation in Tenasserim Division.  Unocal's
president, John Imle, has  dismissed this effort by saying, "we
conduct our own investigations."
At this point, Unocal is compelled to either ignore what the
refugees are  saying or withdraw from the venture because of the
commitments made in the  report to stockholders.  The report states,
"we would never allow our  activities anywhere to be the cause of
human suffering...If there were any  possibility that our project
was connected with human rights abuses, this  would be absolutely
unacceptable to us."

                     #     #     #

     Note: The Bangkok Post article of May 7, 1995, is
          entitled "Refugees Allege Slave Labour on
          Gas Pipeline."

     To contact EGAT concerning its role in the joint
          venture, call 011-662-436-4824 (or 4884).

7-5-95/Bangkok Post

Thai, French and American oil companies, already under fire for the
Tavoy  pipeline they are building in collaboration with Burma's
military regime,  now face allegations from refugees arriving at the
Thai border of  wide-scale slave labour directly on the pipeline.

These are the first detailed accounts of slave labour on the
pipeline  itself.

Previous allegations have focussed on the Ye-Tavoy railway line,
which is  being built by tens of thousands of slaves, but which the
oil companies  claim is not related to their project.

If the accounts given by the refugees prove accurate, the number of
villagers subject to forced labour on the pipeline could be well
into the  thousands.

RELATED REPORTS

(See Sunday Perspective, 17,24)

"They took my field for our pipeline," says Kyaw Myint, one of the
refugees from along the Thai pipeline.

"They took my income.  Before the pipeline, there was forced labour,
but  it was possible to live.  Now it (forced labour) is all the
time."
"Now, I cannot eat with my family openly and in peace.  I cannot
sleep  with my family openly and in peace.  When they see a man,
they take him  for labour.  I had to leave."

Another refugee gives a similar account of the situation along the
pipeline route, saying: "When they (Slorc) ask for money, I always
gave.   When they asked for forced labour, I went.  But in the
night, the soldiers  still come to take 'emergency forced labour.'"

The natural gas pipeline is being built by French and American
oil-giants  Total and Unocal, in partnership with Burma's ruling
State Law and Order  Restoration Council (Slorc).

The sole consumer of the gas is the Electricity Generating Authority
of  Thailand (EGAT) with pipeline construction on the Thai side
being done by  the PTTEP (Petroleum Authority of Thailand
Exploration and Production  Public Co.

BRC-J: CALL FOR COOPERATION ON NETWORKING
Burmese Relief Center-Japan
NBH03114@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear Friends,

We would like to propose better communication and
cooperation from all groups working for Burmese democracy.  It seems
that the forces of evil and oppression are growing ever stronger,
abetted by the indifference of some and the connivance of others,
and financed by the greed of many more.   A number of dates for
activities have been suggested.  Let's take advantage of them and
use them to put pressure on the SLORC and its minions.

The first occasion is the fifth anniversary of the May 27, 1990,
elections.  We will be having a Burmese Benefit Dinner in Kyoto on
the 28th.  The Burma Youth Volunteer Association in Tokyo will both
be cooperating with us and holding their own event in Tokyo as well.
 We recently learned that in Los Angeles Rainforest Action Network
and International Network for Burma Relief, along with other
activist groups, are planning a demonstration against the Japanese
Foreign Ministry's March 27th decision to resume ODA to SLORC.

That's terrific!  We'd like to stress that the Japanese are more
receptive to outside pressure than they are to protests at home, so
we expect that the LA demonstration will get attention in papers
here.  If you can include Japan in your actions, please let us know,
and we'll join you in trying to get press attention from wire
services and local press.

After the anniversary of the elections comes June 19th, Daw Aung San
Suu Kyi's 50th birthday, an important date both to commemorate and
to use as an opportunity to press for her release.  Demonstrations
may not have much visible impact on SLORC, but DASSK's birthday and
subsequent key dates are important opportunities to vividly remind
those governments and businesses consorting with SLORC that the
highly touted dialogues have amounted to absolutely nothing, and
that SLORC's belligerence towards the Karen and other ethnic
minorities has escalated, while the human rights situation
everywhere in the country is deteriorating.

According to SLORC's own "law", as explained by Prof.
Yokota himself, Daw Aung San Suu Kyi must be released by
July 11th.  That makes the 11th another obvious day for
demonstrations, marches, vigils, dinners, concerts, or whatever
suits each group best.  Supposing that nothing like unconditional
release happens then, we next have July 20th, the anniversary of her
house arrest.

In all of this we are in complete agreement with David
Arnott's proposals.  Our point in writing this is to initiate a
discussion on ways and means of increasing our effectiveness.  All
groups, from Australia to Norway, from India to the US, from Japan
to England, might well inform the rest of us by net or fax of their
plans in advance, mention what others are doing in their press
releases, and thus stress that coordinated international actions are
taking place.  The bigger each event seems, the likelier it is to
get media coverage, and, unfortunately but true, if it doesn't get
covered, it might as well not have happened.

Those are some suggestions.  What else might be done?  Don't we need
some innovate, dramatic activities?  Some new ideas, new attention
getters?  Anyone reading the net regularly is painfully aware of the
horrors SLORC is inflicting on the peoples of Burma, but how to
convey that to others?  To Japanese legislators who are just panting
to resume the Rangoon airport project and ODA on a grand scale?  To
Mr. Imle, President of UNOCAL? To Mr. Oawa of Nippon Oil?  To M
Serge Tchuruk, CEO of TOTAL.   Petitions?  Street theater?  A hit
song for Daw Aung San Suu Kyi?

In addition to attention getting, however, we'd like to appeal to
groups concerned about Burma to extend their involvement beyond
political pressure to making some material contribution to help keep
the refugees and the Burmese students alive.  Those who have given
the most, suffered the most, and continue to be the most vulnerable
have never needed support more than they need it now.  Never have
Burmese refugees been more at risk, Karen, Mon, Tavoyan, Burman,
Shan, Arakanese.  All face hunger and disease like never before.
The Burmese students who carried the flame of democracy to the
border in 1988 and have kept the flicker alive since, despite
incredible odds, are dependent on our good will and support so they
can continue their work for a free and democratic Burma.  The
doctors of the Burma Medical Association and ABSDF work 365 days a
year without salaries, but they cannot work without medicine.  All
of their supplies must be donated, and there are always shortages.
If you and your group would like more information about how to help
materially, contact us privately and we'll be happy to suggest ways
and means.

Let's make the net and our marvelously enhanced
communication work more effectively to stop SLORC and
bring democracy to Burma.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

With metta,