BurmaNet News: May 18, 1995 [#175]

------------------------ BurmaNet ------------------------
"Appropriate Information Technologies, Practical Strategies"

The BurmaNet News: May 18, 1995
Issue #175

NCGUB: ON HUMANITARIAN ASSISTANCE TO BURMA
BURMANET: LETTER--YO YO MAH TO PERFORM IN HONOR OF DASSK
NATION: BURMESE BORDER SEALED TO EASE TENSION IN CHIANG
          RAI
NATION: DEFIANT KNU LEADER BO MYA GUARANTEES NO SURRENDER
           TO SLORC
SENATOR PATTY MURRAY (D-WA): INTRODUCTION  OF BILL ON
                          TRAFFICKING OF BURMESE WOMEN
THE NATION:BURMA QUAKE FELT IN CHIANG MAI
THE NATION:PRASONG SURE HE COULD HAVE ENDED BORDER PROBLEM
BKK POST: UNHCR TOURS REFUGEE CAMPS
BKK POST:3,000 KARENS FLEE TO THAILAND
BKK POST:SURVIVAL CONDITIONS TOUGH FOR FLEEING KAREN
          REFUGEES
BKK POST:BURMESE TO BE REPATRIATED
THE NATION:SERM SUK TO TAKE PEPSI EQUITY
BKK POST:BURMESE TOURISM MESSAGE UNHEEDED OUTSIDE RANGOON
BKK POST: INDIANS, BURMESE JOIN TO FIGHT INSURGENTS
ABSL (INDIA): TIME TO FREE DAW SUU AND BURMA

                             o-------------------------------o
The BurmaNet News is an      |                               |
electronic newspaper         |                  Iti          |
covering Burma.  Articles    |                 snotpo        |
from newspapers, magazines,  |             werthatcor        |
newsletters, the wire        |            ruptsbutfea        |
services and the Internet as |           r.Fearoflosin       |
well as original material    |          gpowercorrupts       |
are published.               |       thosewhowielditand      |
The BurmaNet News  is        |     fearofthescourgeofpowe    |
e-mailed  directly to        |    rcorruptsthosewhoaresub    |
subscribers  and  is         |   jecttoit.Theeffortnecess    |
also  distributed via        |  arytoremainuncorruptedinan   |
the soc.culture.burma        |   environmentwherefearisanint |
and seasia-l mailing         |      egralpartisnotimmediat   |
lists and is also            |      elyapparanttothose       |
available via the            |        fortunateenough        |
reg.burma conference on      |         toliveinstates        |
the APC networks.  For a     |         governedbythe         |
free subscription to         |          ruleoflaw...         |
the BurmaNet News, send      |           Fearisahabi         |
an e-mail message to:        |                t.Iam          |
                             |                   no          |
 majordomo@xxxxxxxxxxx       |                  taf          |
                             |                   ra          |
In the body of the message,  |                  id.          |
type: subscribe burmanews-l  |                  Aun          |
[news only mailing list],    |                  gSa          |
or, for the news+discussion  |                  nS           |
list, type:                  |                   uu          |
   subscribe burmanet-l      |                   Ky          |
                             |                   i.          |
Correspondance and letters   o-------------------------------o
to the editor should be addressed to: strider@xxxxxxxxxxx

INFORMATION ABOUT BURMA VIA THE WEB:

Information about Burma is available via the WorldWideWeb at:

FreeBurmaWWW http://199.172.178.200/freebrma/freebrma.htm.
[including back issues of the BurmaNet News as .txt files]

BurmaWeb:  http://www.uio.no/tormodl

Burma fonts:
http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~lka/burmese-fonts/moe.html

Ethnologue Database(Myanmar):

http://www-ala.doc.ic.ac.uk/~rap/Ethnologue/eth.cgi/Myanmar

BURMANET SUBJECT-MATTER RESOURCE LIST

BurmaNet regularly receives enquiries on a number of different topics
related to Burma.  The scope of the subjects involved is simply too
broad for any one person to cover.  BurmaNet is therefore organizing
a number of volunteer coordinators to field questions on various
subjects.  If you have questions on any of the following subjects,
please direct email to the following coordinators, who will either
answer your question or try to put you in contact with someone who
can:

Arakan/Rohingya/Burma-   [volunteer needed]
Bangladesh border
Art/archaeology/:        [volunteer needed]
Campus activism:         tlandon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Boycott campaigns:       tlandon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Buddhism:                Buddhist Relief Mission,
                         c/o NBH03114@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Fonts:                   [volunteer needed]
History:                 [volunteer needed]
Kachin history/culture:  74750.1267@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Karen history/culture:   102113.2571@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                         Karen Historical Society
Mon history/culture:     [volunteer needed]
Naga history/culture:    [volunteer needed]
[Burma-India border]
Pali literature:         "Palmleaf"
                         c/o burmanet@xxxxxxxxxxx
Shan history/culture:    [volunteer needed]
Tourism campaigns:    bagp@xxxxxxxxxx
                         "Attn. S. Sutcliffe"
World Wide Web:          FreeBurma@xxxxxxxxx
Volunteering:            Dr. Christina Fink
                         c/o burmanet@xxxxxxxxxxx

NCGUB: ON HUMANITARIAN ASSISTANCE TO BURMA

NATIONAL COALITION GOVERNMENT OF THE
UNION OF BURMA
WASHINGTON, D.C, INFORMATION OFFICE
816 Fifteenth Street NW.  Suite  609, Washington DC 20005
Tel: 202 - 393 7342, Fax: 202 - 393 7343

POSITION ON HUMANITARIAN ASSISTANCE TO
BURMA

UN AGENCIES - UN agencies have specific mandates and do not take into
account factors outside the scope of their mandate.  As stated by Mr
Herbert A. Behrstoek, Chief of UNDP's East Asia Division, on 4 May
1996, the UNDP's focus is development.  The UNDP does not take
into account political considerations.  As long as its projects in
Burma are "developmental" and can fulfil some "grassroots" needs, the
UNDP is not concerned about whether or not its projects are directly
or indirectly supporting an illegitimate regime.  Likewise, UNICEF is
committed to children and its 1996-2000 programme (US$53 million) in
Burma is specifically designed to support the State Law and Order
Restoration Council's National Programme of Action for the Survival,
Protection and Development of Myanmar's Children in the 1990s.   Most
of the implementing agencies are also the various SLORC line
ministries.

This narrow focus often leads to unacceptable results.  For example,
in its program, UNICEF is promoting capacity-building for two
so-called national NGOs -- the Myanmar Maternal and Child Welfare
Association and the Myanmar Red Cross.  It is well-known that these
two organizations are semi-official agenci es of the regime.
Therefore, UNICEF is indirectly contributing to building up the
capacity of the military dictatorship.  In the UNDP program, village
health workers, rural health centres, and township hospitals are
targeted to enhance their capacity.  While the intention is
commendable, all village health workers, rural health centres, and
township hospitals in Burma come under the Ministry of Health.
Therefore, the UNDP program is also indirectly contributing to
building up the capacity of the regime.

Other areas of concern include educational material for remote
villages in the Chin and Arakan States.  Unless the textbooks and
school material are written in the language of the ethnic people in
those areas, the UNDP could be accused of promoting SLORC's ethnic
assimilation program.  This is a serious concern In the ethnic states.
The employment by UNDP of nationals who have previously served in
other countries as international United Nations Volunteers, raises
other questions.  After 1962 to until recently, Burmese citizens were
not allowed to travel overseas.  Only a privileged few - state
scholars, civil servants, military personnel, and people with military
connections - could do so.  The UNV from Burma are, therefore, from a
select population.  Their relationship to SLORC, and their ability to
communicate with villagers, etc, could be questioned.  The claim that
UN agencies and NGOs have full and open access to civil society also
raises questions.  How valid is this claim?  It seems to contradict
reports received from credible sources.

Given the present condition under which UN agencies operate, and given
that no assistance to the people of Burma can be delivered without
indirectly supporting the military dictatorship, the National
Coalition Government of the Union of Burma cannot support the programs
of UN agencies in Burma.

The humanitarian crisis in Burma today is a direct outcome of 33 years
of military misrule.  The UNDP acknowledges that "though Myanmar is
blessed with abundant natural resources, it remains an LDC with
serious pockets of human deprivation" and that the UNDP's efforts "are
just scratching the surface," It is, therefore, the contention of the
NCGUB that the problems in Burma cannot begin to be addressed without
first addressing the root problem which is political.  This can best
be illustrated by the fact that while UN agencies are talking about
the "silent emergency" in Burma, SLORC Chairman Senior General Than
Shwe, oblivious to the humanitarian crisis in Burma, made the
following speech on Independence Day on 4 January 1995.

"During the period of more than six years of the State Law and Order
Restoration Council, firm foundations have been established and all
round development has been achieved in the nation's political,
economic, social, education and health spheres..."

If SLORC does not acknowledge that Burma is facing a serious
humanitarian crisis, how can the UN agencies ever hope to alleviate
the situation?  Will their best efforts not be thwarted by SLORC's
political agenda?

FUTURE - Should the United Nations in the future appoint a Special
Envoy to coordinate an overall UN program (humanitarian, refugee,
development, narcotics, and political), the NCGUB is willing to review
and revise its position regarding UN agencies in Burma.

NON-GOVERNMENT ORGANIZATIONS - As previously mentioned, given current
conditions in Burma, UN agencies and NGOs cannot avoid relying on
SLORC and its line ministries.  Decision-making by these organizations
depends to a large extent on how closely tied each individual
organization is to the military and SLORC.  The closer the ties, the
easier it is to implement programs.  However, the organization may
have to sacrifice its independence in order to achieve goals.  It is,
therefore, recommended that NGOs contemplating working in Burma
consult the Guidelines set by the Burma Briefing, UK, Burma Peace
Foundation, and the Australian NGO Forum.

The Burma Border Consortium in Thailand and the Burma Donors
Secretariat should also be contacted.  In general, NGOs that can
implement projects directly with well-informed and trained foreign
staff are preferable to NGOs that need national NGOs as implementing
partners or have only national staff.  The rationale for this
preference is that national staff can be subject to more pressure from
SLORC and truly independent national NGOs do not exist in Burma.

An alternative to working in Burma, which the NCGUB would
like to recommend is working cross-border with the most needy in
cease-fire zones, in the liberated areas and on the borders of
neighbouring countries.

May 14, 1995

BURMANET: LETTER--YO YO MAH TO PERFORM IN HONOR OF DASSK

I heard on the BBC World Service's Outlook program 2-3 days ago  that
Yo Yo Ma, the cellist, is performing in some sort of "Support for
Aung San Suu Kyi" concert (possibly in London, but I am not sure of
that).

The program was in the middle of the night and I was half asleep, but
it  sounds as if it might be of interest to some of your customers.
I  believe Outlook has an e-mail address, although I do not know what
it is.

  [name withheld]

NATION: BURMESE BORDER SEALED TO EASE TENSION IN CHIANG
          RAI
18.5.95/The Nation

The Interior Ministry has closed indefinitely the Thailand -Burma
checkpoint in Mae Sai district and two other crossing points in Chiang
Rai to suppress border skirmishes and prevent further tension in the
area.

The order, which bans border crossing by people, goods and vehicles,
took effect at 5.30 pm on Tuesday .

It has dealt a blow to the once-bustling border trade, and stranded
more than 1,000 legal and illegal Burmese workers who were unable to
return home before the crossing was cut off.

Chiang Rai Governor Khamron Booncherd, who issued the order, said a
security alert is also in effect for prominent figures, government
property and the general community .

Border intelligence units have been ordered to dig hard for
information on any attempted infiltration by " ill- intentioned
elements," he said.

Khamron said legal Burmese workers in the area would be given a grace
period to return home pending applications filed by their employers.

The order and the increased border controls came after it was decided
that the checkpoints had exacerbated tensions. A report on intrusions
in the area said Burmese troops had been redeployed along the border
near Mae Sai. The other two border crossing points in that area are at
Tha Kra-lam and Tha Kham.

The president of Chiang Rai Chamber of Commerce, Wiwat Sirichang-
khampatana, said the indefinite closure of the Tachilek- Mae Sai
checkpoint will have a serious effect on border trade and tourism and
will only worsen the border situation.

Wiwat said he will send a letter to the Foreign Ministry to ask them
to negotiate with Burmese authorities to open their border checkpoint.
The Burmese earlier closed the border at Tachilek in Keng Tun, and
accused Thailand of harbouring the forces of its enemy , Khun Sa.

Meanwhile , US Assistant Secretary of State for East Asia and Pacific
Affairs Winston Lord said the US backed the proposal for the United
Nations High Commissioner for Refugees to Thailand .

Lord praised Thailand for its handling of the refugee situation, as
well as other incidents in past .

" Thailand is in a complex and challenging situation with regard to
the Burmese incursions and refugees along the border," he said.

Lord condemned the recent insurgencies into Thailand by the Democratic
Karen Buddhist Army.

NATION: DEFIANT KNU LEADER BO MYA GUARANTEES NO SURRENDER
           TO SLORC
28.5.95/The Nation

Thai-Burmese Border -- The leader of Burma's last major ethnic rebel
group climbs slowly down a narrow mountain path from his clandestine
headquarters and vows: "We will never surrender."
Although the Karen people's struggle for an independent state is at
its lowest point in decades, Gen Bo Mya remains unbowed .
" We are making a revolution, there is no question of surrender," said
the 68 year old general, jabbing his cane into the ground for
emphasis.

The Karen people have been fighting the government in Rangoon since
Burma's independence Britain in 1948, and Bo Mya has been part of the
struggle since the start . His followers consider him both a freedom
fighter and a father figure.

But to Rangoon, Bo Mya is a wanted man painted in the state-
controlled press as the head of a terrorist movement.

Cease -fire agreements between Rangoon and more than a dozen other
ethnic groups have allowed the military to concentrate on the Karen .
In January, the rebels lost their headquarters at Manerplaw.

Since then, the movements of Bo Mya have been a secret. His enemies
are never far away.

" Our headquarters is in our backpack now," said Lt Col Than Maung of
the 101st Battalion, one of Bo Mya's coterie of ageing commanders.

The Karen National Union , which Bo Mya leads, also has been hurt by
a split in its ranks . A breakaway Buddhist faction has aligned itself
with the Burmese government and attacked camps inside Thailand that
house more than 70,000 Karen refugees, KNU loyalists among them.

Some analysts suggest it is only a matter of time before the Karen
will have to reach their own accommodation with the junta.
But Bo Mya says Rangoon wants the Karen to lay down their arms and
submit to its rule.

" We want peace," Bo Mya said ." But a true political peace , with
democracy."

Lacking that, Bo Mya remains defiant .

"We will take Manerplaw back. We will take it all back," he said.
The struggle, he said , will now become a guerrilla war. Beyond that,
he could offer no practical plan for how he will recapture control
lost territory .

One of the drawbacks of classic guerrilla warfare, Bo Mya admits, is
that it is difficult to protect civilians from the conflict.
He said the KNU had refrained from some attacks on Burmese soldiers
because Karen villagers in the area feared reprisals.
After losing their headquarters, Bo Mya turned over his position as
military chief of the Karen army to a younger commander , but he
remains president of the KNU.

Since then, the rebels have mounted few offensives. But on Tuesday,
Karen rebels attacked a Burmese army post at Kanaelay, killing two
government soldiers and wounding four. One rebel was wounded , Thai
army sources said.

SENATOR PATTY MURRAY (D-WA): INTRODUCTION  OF BILL ON
                          TRAFFICKING OF BURMESE WOMEN

[With background by Phil Robertson <reaproy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>]

The Seattle group was successful in persuading Senator Murray to
introduce  in the Senate the sense of Congress resolution (see below)
that was  introduced earlier by Rep. Louise Slaughter in the House.
This is important  because most Congressional offices don't really
take such resolutions  seriously unless there are bills in both the
House and Senate.  Having it  introduced in both places is indicative
that there are real plans to pass  it, rather than just have it
introduced to appease some group of  constituents.  The Murray bill is
exactly the same as the Slaughter bill.

I have spoken to both Murray and Slaughter's staff persons and their
view is  to try and line up as many co-sponsors as possible in the
next few months.   Slaughter and Murray are both planning to issue
"Dear Colleague" letters  urging their colleagues to co-sponsor but
the grass-roots will have to do  its part too with letters and phone
calls.  When an elected representative  reads the actual text of the
bill, there is really very little they could be  opposed to -- after
all, everyone is against forced prostitution and  trafficking of women
(with the exception of the corrupt Thai police and  brothel owners
profiting from it).  It's just focusing their attention to  get them
to co-sponsor that is difficult.

Please take the time to write or call your Senators to tell them to
examine  the bill and co-sponsor it.  If they want additional
information on this  situation in Thailand, they should talk to Human
Rights Watch/Asia in  Washington, D.C. at (202) 371-6592.  The report
they want to obtain from  them is called "A Modern Form of Slavery:
Trafficking of Burmese Women and  Girls into Brothels in Thailand".
It's very comprehensive in detailing this  horrible situation.
According to Slaughter's staffperson, Kate Keplinger,  Human Rights
Watch/Asia was thrilled to learn about the introduction of the  bill
in the Senate and will also be making calls to Senate offices.
I will be continuing to monitor the situation and staying in touch
with  Murray and Slaughter's staff.  You can reach me at (301)
270-1009 (h), (202)  778-4517 (w) or reaproy@xxxxxxxx for updates.

104th CONGRESS
    1st Session
    S. CON. RES. 12

Expressing the sense of the Congress concerning the trafficking of
Burmese women and girls into Thailand for the purposes of forced
prostitution.

IN THE SENATE OF THE UNITED STATES
May 4 (legislative day, May 1), 1995

Mrs. Murray submitted the following concurrent resolution; which
 was referred to the Committee on Foreign Relations
                CONCURRENT RESOLUTION

    Expressing the sense of the Congress concerning the trafficking of
   Burmese women and girls into Thailand for the purposes of forced
  prostitution.

    Whereas credible reports indicate that thousands of Burmese women
   and girls are being trafficked into Thailand with false promises of
   good paying jobs in restaurants or factories, and then forced to
  work in brothels under slavery-like conditions that include sexual
   and physical violence, debt bondage, exposure to HIV, passport
deprivation, and illegal confinement;

    Whereas credible reports also indicate that members of the Thai
  police force are often actively involved in, and profit from, the
  trafficking of Burmese women and girls for the purposes of forced
  prostitution;

    Whereas the United States Government conducts training programs
for     the Thai police and United States arms and equipment are sold
to      the Thai police;

    Whereas the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of
Discrimination Against Women requires all States Parties `to take
all appropriate measures, including legislation, to suppress all
forms of traffic in women and exploitation of prostitution of women';

    Whereas Article 1 of the 1956 Supplementary Convention on the
Abolition of Slavery, the Slave Trade, and Institutions and
Practices Similar to Slavery calls for the complete abolition or
abandonment of debt bondage;

    Whereas forced labor, defined under the 1930 Forced Labor
Convention as `all work or service which is exacted from any person
  under the menace of any penalty and for which the said person has
  not offered himself  voluntarily,' is internationally prohibited;

    Whereas the 1949 Convention for the Suppression of Traffic in
Persons and of the Exploitation of the Prostitution of Others finds
  the traffic in persons for the purposes of prostitution
`incompatible with the dignity and worth of the human person,' and
 calls on States Parties to punish any person who procures for the
 purposes of prostitution, keeps, manages or knowingly finances a
brothel, or rents premises for the prostitution of others;
    Whereas Assistant Secretary of State for Human Rights and
Humanitarian Affairs John Shattuck has testified that the United
States `urgently needs to encourage countries in which trafficking
 of women and children goes on with impunity to enact new laws, and
  to enforce existing laws. A particular target of this stepped-up
  law enforcement should be government officials who participate in
   or condone trafficking, as well as brothel owners and traffickers';
   and

    Whereas Secretary of State Warren Christopher stated before the
   1993 World Conference on Human Rights that `(g)uaranteeing human
  rights is a moral imperative with respect to both women and men':
  Now, therefore, be it

      Resolved by the Senate (the House of Representatives
concurring),
    That it is the sense of the Congress that--

       (1) trafficking in persons violates the fundamental principle
    of human dignity, and forced prostitution involving physical
coercion or debt bondage constitutes a form of forced labor and
a slavery-like practice;

       (2) the United States State Department should continue to
press the Thai Government to strictly enforce all laws that can
lead to the prosecution of those involved in trafficking and
forced prostitution, including procurers, traffickers, pimps,
brothel owners, and members of the Thai police who may be
complicit;

       (3) the State Department should ensure that Thai police
participants in United States Government-sponsored police
training programs are systematically vetted to exclude those       who
are implicated in trafficking and forced prostitution;
       (4) the executive branch should take steps to assure that
weapons and equipment provided or sold to the Thai police do

        not become available to members of those forces who might be
    involved in traff

icking, forced prostitution, or abuse of women
        and girls who are apprehended;

       (5) the State Department should urge the Thai Government to
  protect the rights and safety of Burmese women and girls in
Thailand who are freed from brothels or who are arrested as
illegal immigrants because their status as trafficking victims      is
unclear;

       (6) the United States Agency for International Development
 should target a portion of its assistance to Thailand for AIDS
prevention and control to the foreign population in Thailand,
particularly Burmese women and girls in the Thai sex industry;
and

       (7) the State Department should report to Congress, within 6
   months of the date of this resolution, on actions that it has
taken to advocate that the Thai Government implement the above
steps.

BURMA QUAKE FELT IN CHIANG MAI

An Earthquake measuring six on the Richter Scale struck Burma
yesterday, with shockwaves being felt in some part of Chiang Mai
province, an official from the Northern Seismological Centre said.

The official said the quake occurred at 4.45 am. The epicentre was 160
kilometres north of Rangoon, and around 267 kilometres from the
seismological centre.
Residents from in Chiang Mai's Muang and San Sai districts felt the
aftershocks, but no reports of damage were available, Muang Chiang Mai
District Chief Sawat Srisuwandee said.

Weerachai Sirisan, San Sai district chief, said it was the third time
that his district had felt the effects of an
earthquake. (TN)

PRASONG SURE HE COULD HAVE ENDED BORDER PROBLEM

Former foreign minister Prasong Soonsiri yesterday accused Foreign
Minister Krasae Channawongse along the Thai-Burmese border, saying
things would already have been settled if he still had the job.
Prasong, speaking outside the House, said Krasae should have gone to
Rangoon himself to settle the border problem, instead he had let it
get out of hand.
His comment came as the House of Representatives began
debating an opposition censure motion against the government. Prasong
(PDP-Bangkok) has said previously he would vote
against the government.
"If I were foreign minister I would have talked [with Burma] already,"
said Prasong, who was removed from the post in
Phalang Dharma Party's internal Cabinet reshuffle in December.
Bangkok-based human right groups at a seminar here on Tuesday urged
the government to review regional and international
options in handling the border incidents saying the fighting between
Rangoon and Burmese ethnic insurgencies, the border incursions, and
the problems of the refugees were issues too complex to handle at a
bilateral basis.
During his tenure, Prasong was widely criticized for his
indecisiveness in handling the arrest of Thai nationals in connection
with an abortive coup in Cambodia last year,
believed to be a reason for his departure from the post. (TN)
SERM SUK TO TAKE PEPSI EQUITY

Cola giant set to sell its regional holdings

Pepsi-Cola International will sell its equity holdings in
Indochinese and Burmese joint ventures to Thailand's Serm Suk Plc.
Pepsi intends to make Serm Suk its major marketer in the
regional beverage market, sad a top executive.
Barry J Shea, president of Pepsi-Cola International/Southeast Asia,
said his company has formulated an ambitious plan
designed to dominate the Indochinese and Burmese beverage
markets using its know-how and marketing strength.
 "We don't believe we need capital from Serm Suk to expand since we
have already invested in the region. We do believe that using them as
an operating company to expand into these markets is a better idea
than having to deal with several
different bottlers," Shea said.
"We are also looking into the possibility introducing tea, soybean
milk and coffee to our beverage line-up. But first we want to make
sure the products are successful in Thailand and then we will use Serm
Suk to expand to other markets," he
added.
Last year, Pepsi-Cola International, a division of New
York-based Pepsi-Co Inc, increased its stake in Serm Suk from 28 per
cent to 43 per cent at a cost of Bt1.2 billion. It
became Serm Suk's largestshareholder and said it pursued the
acquisition as part of a new and broader strategy for the
region.
As exclusive bottler for Pepsi-Cola International in Thailand since
1955, Serm Suk has developed an in-depth market
knowledge of the soft-drink business. It has invaluable
experience in manufacturing, marketing and distribution in a country
that is Pepsi-Cola International's fifth largest
market. For this reason, Serm Suk has been designated to head
operations for Southeast Asia.
Already Pepsi-Cola International has established strong
positions in regional markets. Its owns 30 per cent of a joint venture
in Vietnam, 40 per cent of a venture in Cambodia and 40 per cent of
aventure in Burma. In addition, Serm Suk has a 10 per cent stake in a
joint venture in Laos.
The combined soft-drink market of Thailand, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia
and Burma is estimated to be 250 million eight-ounce can cases per
year. As well, the markets are growing rapidly and represent an
attractive investment for Pepsi-Cola
International.
Pepsi-Cola International entered the regional market a few years ago,
ahead of its main competitor, Coca-Cola Inc. In Thailand, Pepsi-=Cola
International controls 41 per cent of a market totalling 210 million
cases. It also controls 85 per cent of a six million case market in
Burma, 20 per cent of a 30 million case market in Vietnam, 95 per cent
of a two
million case market in Laos and 47 per cent of a one million case
market in Cambodia.
"In Vietnam this year, we will sell 15 million cases compared to 110
million in Thailand. In Vietnam, we think we can double our sales
volume over the next five years. It is only a matter of adding
infrastructure because market demand already
exists," Shea said.
Burma is also a potentially significant market for Pepsi-Cola
International, although the country's economic instability,
particularly problems coverting its currency the kyat, make it a risky
investment. Coverting the kyat to the US dollars
needed to import bottling materials is exceptionally slow.  "This year
we will probably sell about 10 million cases a
significant market. Coke is not yet available in Burma. Only a little
of our competitors product gets across the border. We are exclusive in
Burma and Laos for a few years to come," Shea said.
"In Laos, we sell about two million cases a year, which is almost the
entire market. Cambodia is smaller than Laos. A lot of products enter
Cambodia from other markets such as
Singapore and Malaysia.
The Cambodian government does not have control, so the
products just come across the border. But in Laos, the
government is in control," added Shea. (TN)

BURMESE TOURISM MESSAGE UNHEEDED OUTSIDE RANGOON

Burma's first majority foreign-owned tour company, Insight Myanmar
Tourism, has called for a better understanding among up country
government officials on the objectives of Visit Myanmar Year 1996.
According to Armin Schoch, managing director of Insight, the country
has many infrastructura

l problems to solve. The
biggest obstacle, however, is the one in the minds of
upcountry officials who are out of step with the thinking in Rangoon.
"I'd like to make government and army personnel understand what the
central government in Rangoon wants, allows and
encourages in terms of tourism so local personnel will better know how
to act nation wide."
Mr Schoch said there should be an end to situations in which tourism
is "hindered unjustifiably". Liberalisation of travel and the
eradication of permit requirements for peripheral
areas should be given priority.
He cited the case of his visit to Moulmein. After obtaining a special
permit for the trip, an official in the Mon state told him he needed
extra permission before he could visit the
nearby war cemetery. Mr Schoch later met an independent
traveller who gained access without a permit.
"Package tourists who have paid a high price  to be at some spot
should not be punished by no access," he complained.  Insight, which
started in February, is anticipating up to
1,500 inbound tourists for its first year, with an average length of
stay of at least eight to 10 days.
The 60-40 Swiss-Burmese joint venture is looking at extensions beyond
the "beaten track" of Rangoon, Inle, Mandalay, Maymyo and Pagan. Mr
Schoch said trekking trips from Kalaw in the Shan state, boat rides
through the ethnically rich area of the Irrawaddy to Bhamo, beach
holidays in Ngapali in Arakan, and explorations in the southern
peninsula, would all appeal to foreign tourists.
Mr Schoch described somewhat diplomatically the government's Visit
Myanmar Year '96 goal of 500,000 tourists (up from
around 67,000 in 1994) as "highly ambitious".
"Nobody knows what half a million really means," he said,
adding that the total number of inbound flight seats available into
the country didn't even amount to 500,000 a year.
On the marketing side, he stated that the tourism industry in the
country should group together  to make joint promotions at trade
fairs.
Turning to the impact of tourism, the former Diethelm Travel executive
said Insight Myanmar will try to prohibit tourists giving out pens and
money to poor children.
"We want to make it understood that young people will play a better
role in tourism if they go to school and not follow tourists around."
Despite the reputation of the State Law and Order Restoration Council
abroad and at home, Mr Schoch said his new tourism venture was morally
justifiable. (BP)

INDIANS, BURMESE JOIN TO FIGHT INSURGENTS

Indian and Burmese troops are cooperating for the first time to fight
anti-India insurgents seeking sanctuary in the
jungles straddling their border.
Nearly 60 rebels have been killed since Operation Golden Bird began on
April 4 in the hills of the India's remote
northeastern provinces, an Indian army general said yesterday.
Aided by helicopter gunships, a crack anti-guerrilla unit
pinned down the rebels as they crossed into the Indian state of
Mizoram last week. Burmese troops across the border cut off the escape
route, military sources said.
About 140 rebels disbanded and fled. "We are still engaged in the
operation and hope to catch the remaining lot," said the operation's
commander, Narendra Singh Gill, in a telephone interview with AP.
The operation is a consequence of India's decision last year to
improve ties with the military regime in Rangoon, despite its support
for the pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi who under house arrest.
Last year, India's then-army chief Gen Bipan Chandra Joshi visited
Rangoon to discuss military cooperation. This year, the two countries
opened their border to trade.
Gill said the operation disrupted the rebels' effort to
replenish their arms supplies. Indian troops captured rocket
launchers, assault rifles and machine guns, he said.
The military says they banded together to train with Burmese rebels in
the Arakan hills and to smuggle weapons from
Thailand through Bangladesh and Burma. (BP)

SURVIVAL CONDITIONS TOUGH FOR FLEEING KAREN REFUGEES

Conditions are tough for thousands of Karen refugees left
homeless when their Thai border camp was burned down, leaving them
only plastic sheeting as shelter from heavy rains, a
Karen official said yesterday.
The refugees, who fled fighting in Burma earlier this year when
soldiers defeated the rebel Karen National Union (KNU), generally have
enough to eat. But the torching of their camp at Huay Manok in Tak
province on April 28 left some 6,000
Karen living in squalor.
"It has been raining hard" along that part of the border, the KNU
official told AFP. "All they have is plastic sheets" to shelter them.
A few of the Karen returned to Burma after Huay Manok was
destroyed, he said. But most stayed in Thailand, fearful of the
Democratic Kayin Buddhist Organization (DKBO), the
breakaway KNU group believed to have torched the camp.
Some of the refugees stayed where they were after the attack but
others "disappeared from the camp into the jungle," he said.
There also have been recent cross-border raids on other camps, of
which there are more than a dozen.
A Thai Interior Ministry official who deals with the refugees said the
government was "trying to gradually move the Karen to Mae La," a
village some 10 kilometres from the border in Tha Song Yang district.
The 542-acre area is considered a "safe zone" because it is surrounded
by mountains that offer natural protection.
"There is no deadline set to complete the transfer," the
ministry official said. "But we are targeting the refugees who live in
the combat zone or who are in danger or in the camp that was burned
down."
"This is for the security of the Thais who live along the
border and also the refugees," he said.
Some 10,000 Karen fled into Thailand earlier this year,
joining about 60,000 Burmese already here. (BP)

UNHCR TOURS REFUGEE CAMPS

United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
representative in Thailand, Ruprecht von Arnim, yesterday made an
inspection tour of refugee camps in Sob Muey and Mae
Sariang districts.
Mr von Arnim, accompanied by three other UNHCR officials,
surveyed areas bordering Burma and the refugee camps to
determine what Thailand has done to help Burmese refugees so the UNHCR
could provide proper assistance to them.
The first stop was made at Sob Muey District's Ban Mae Lama Luang camp
sheltering more than 6,000 refugees.
A large number of refugees were found to be suffering from malaria.
Governor Somjet Viriyathamrong conceded provincial authorities have
found it difficult to care for the well-being of all
refugees because there are too many living in the camps. The
provincial public health office is carrying out a
birth-control programme as a way to prevent an increase in the number
of refugees.
Mr Somjet has met with high-level national security officials to
discuss preventive measures to ensure the safety of
residents living close to border areas in case fighting
between Rangoon troops and the army of drug warlord Khun Sa spills
across the border.
The Third Army Region has sent a letter informing provincial
authorities about the necessity to introduce martial law in border
areas in the province in an effort to prevent the flow of illegal arms
and drugs which may be brought into the
country by Burmese refugees.
In a related development, troops patrolling the border in Sob Muey and
Mae Sariang districts said yesterday the situation along the border
has returned to normal. (BP)

3,000 KARENS FLEE TO THAILAND

At least 3,000 Karen refugees, most of them children and
women, fled across the border into Thailand yesterday in an effort to
escape possible attacks by Burmese troops on Karen National Union
bases opposite Umphang District of this
province, a border official said.
More than 1,000 Burmese troops recently began moving closer to the KNU
base in Azin and other camps opposite Umphang and Phop Phra districts,
he said.
According to the official, the military, Border Patrol Police, local
police as well as defence volunteers have reinforced the border area
to prevent intrusions by foreign forces into
Thailand.
Umphang District Chief Aphichart Theawphanich said three
temporary shelters provided for the refugees have been set up three
kilometres inland from the border in Ban Tapuophu in Tambon Mogro, Ban
Nong Luang and Ban Nupathowa in Tambon Mae Chan.
He said authorities body searched the refugees for weapons before they
were allowed to occupy the three camps. (BP)

BURMESE TO BE REPATRIATED

Local officials are to repatriate about 2,000 illegal Burmese
immigrants working in this district following the closure of two
temporary border checkpoints with Burma, according to
District Officer Pakdi Rattanapol.
Governor Kamron Booncherd ordered the checkpoints at Ban Pang Ha in
Tambon Mae Sai and Ban Muang Daeng in Tambon Chang
closed for security reasons.
After the closure, 50 other Burmese workers living near
Tachilek township in Burma reportedly tried to get across the border
to the Thai side, but were driven out by Thai border officials, Mr
Pakdi said. (BP)

ABSL (INDIA): TIME TO FREE DAW SUU AND BURMA
All-Burma Student's League (India)
>From Dispatch #3

Burma Students Movement in India, 1994
3, Krishna Menon Marg,
New Delhi-110 011

  On July 20, 1989, Daw Aung San Suu Kyi was put under house arrest
without any formal charges by SLORC, the military junta controlling
Burma. Though the military tried to crack down the democratic movement
by putting her under house arrest and imprisoning other active
pro-democracy leaders, the people of Burma continued to show their
anguish against the military government and favour for the democratic
government. In the general elections of May 27th 1990, though it was
held under  tight restrictions exercised by the military, the people
voted for the National League for Democracy (NLD) which was led by Daw
Aung San Suu Kyi.

  However, the military government did not keep their promise of
handing over power to the victorious NLD which got more than 80% of
the parliamentary seats.  Becide the continuation of the detention of
Daw Aung San Suu Kyi without trial, the military junta stepped up its
suppression of the people's democratic movement with greater brutality
than ever before. Many of the elected representatives were ar rested
under fabricated charges. Some of these leaders died in the jails due
to inhuma n torture.

Therefore, tens of the elected Members of Parliament made their ways
to border  areas to join the pro-democracy forces who have been there
since 1988. These Members of Parliament formed the National Coalition
Government of the Union of Burma (NCGUB) in 1992 and have been
struggling hard for the active support and recognition of  the
people and governments of the world.

  On December 10, 1991, the Norwegian Nobel Committee awarded Daw Aung
San Suu Kyi the Peace Prize, calling her "one of the most
extraordinary examples of civil courage in Asia." July 20, 1994 marks
her Fifth year of imprisonment. According to SLORC's own law, she
cannot be detained for more than five years without trial.  According
to the people of Burma, SLORC should never have detained her in the f
irst
place.

  It is not enough merely to call for freedom, democracy and human
rights in Burma. Actions, not speeches, are required now. Your actions
and support will further strengthen the Burmese people's struggle for
freedom and justice. United Nations resolutions, Amnesty
International, democratic parliamentarians and non-governmental
organizations around the world over agree that time has run out for
Democracy in Burma and the SLORC must be dislodged.

  We, the Burma Students Movement in India, ask you for solidarity
with Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and supporters of democracy in Burma. The
present monograph is to inform you about our own struggle, the support
and solidarity received from  different peoples, groups and
organizations and the state of affairs in Burma. And we urg e you
to actively contribute your best for freedom and justice in Burma and
all over  the world.

                   The Burma Students Movement in India

NEWS SOURCES REGULARLY COVERED/ABBREVIATIONS USED BY BURMANET:
ABSDF-DNA: ALL BURMA STUDENT'S DEMOCRATIC FRONT [DR. NAING
AUNG]
ABSDF-MTZ: ALL BURMA STUDENT'S DEMOCRATIC FRONT [MOE THEE ZUN]
AMNESTY: AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL
AP: ASSOCIATED PRESS
AFP: AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE
AW: ASIAWEEK
Bt.: THAI BAHT; 25 Bt. EQUALS US$1 (APPROX),
BBC: BRITISH BROADCASTING CORPORATION
BF: BURMA FORUM
BKK POST: BANGKOK POST (DAILY NEWSPAPER, BANGKOK)
BRC-CM: BURMESE RELIEF CENTER-CHIANG MAI
BRC-J: BURMESE RELIEF CENTER-JAPAN
CPPSM:C'TEE FOR PUBLICITY OF THE PEOPLE'S STRUGGLE IN MONLAND
FEER: FAR EAST ECONOMIC REVIEW
GOA: GOVERNMENT OF AUSTRALIA
IRRAWADDY: NEWSLETTER PUBLISHED BY BURMA INFORMATION GROUP
KHRG: KAREN HUMAN RIGHTS GROUP
KNU: KAREN NATIONAL UNION
Kt. BURMESE KYAT; UP TO 150 KYAT-US$1 BLACK MARKET
                   106 KYAT US$1-SEMI-OFFICIAL
                   6 KYAT-US$1 OFFICIAL
MOA: MIRROR OF ARAKAN
MNA: MYANMAR NEWS AGENCY (SLORC)
THE NATION: A DAILY NEWSPAPER IN BANGKOK
NCGUB: NATIONAL COALITION GOVERNMENT OF THE UNION OF BURMA
NLM: NEW LIGHT OF MYANMAR (DAILY STATE-RUN NEWSPAPER,RANGOON)
NMSP: NEW MON STATE PARTY
RTA:REC.TRAVEL.ASIA NEWSGROUP
RTG: ROYAL THAI GOVERNMENT
SCB:SOC.CULTURE.BURMA NEWSGROUP
SCT:SOC.CULTURE.THAI NEWSGROUP
SEASIA-L: S.E.ASIA BITNET MAILING LIST
SLORC: STATE LAW AND ORDER RESTORATION COUNCIL
TAWSJ: THE ASIAN WALL STREET JOURNAL
UPI: UNITED PRESS INTERNATIONAL
USG: UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT
XNA: XINHUA NEWS AGENCY