ABSDF STATEMENT ON RE_ARREST OF U K

Subject: ABSDF STATEMENT ON RE_ARREST OF U KYI MAUNG

               ABSDF Statement on re-arrest of U Kyi Maung

                                                     Date: 7th June, 1995

U Kyi Maung, Chairman of the National League for Democracy(NLD)
who has been released by the Slorc on March 31, 1995 (three
months ago) was re-arrested last week in Rangoon and charged with
having successive meetings with the diplomats, reporters and
journalists from foreign countries. It has now been announced
that he and other three were still being detained by the Burmese
military junta.

This incident, and the Slorc savage action, demonstrate clearly
yet again that there are still no signs of progress towards
democratic changes and human rights record under the military
regime.

It is very convinced that Slorc has no intention to release Daw
Aung San Suu Kyi who has been under house arrests for six years
by July 20, maximum imprisoned period under the Slorc laws.

The ABSDF strongly denounces the Slorc for re-arrest of U Kyi
Maung and other three, and their continuation of human rights
abuses in Burma.

The ABSDF, deplores the continuing unwillingness of the Slorc to
tolerate any democratic activity and human rights in Burma and
demands the immediate release of Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, U Kyi
Maung and other political detainees.

We earnestly appeal to the international community to exert more
pressure against the Slorc who has been committing the continuous
human rights abuses by ignoring the demand from the international
community and the will of the Burmese people.

We also urge the ASEAN nations to exclude the Slorc from
participating as a guest to forthcoming ASEAN meeting in July in
Brunei.

We also urge the Burmese students inside and outside of Burma to
double our great struggle to uproot the military dictatorship
from our mother land, in hand in hand with us.

Central Leading Committee
Southern Command
ABSDF

C.C: NGOs