BurmaNet News: June 16, 1995 [#185]

------------------------ BurmaNet ------------------------
"Appropriate Information Technologies, Practical Strategies"

The BurmaNet News: June 16, 1995
Issue #185

NLM: LAYING DOWN OF NATIONAL IT POLICY STRESSED
BURMANET: REPORT ON RELIGIOUS HARASSMENT IN CHIN STATE
NLM: ACTION TAKEN AGAINST PEGASUS KARAOKE LOUNGE
NATION: SLORC SUCCESS IN INDONESIA AND SINGAPORE WORRIES WEST
BKK POST: MALAYSIA UNCLEAR OVER LONG-TERM GAS SUPPLY FOR THAILAND
BKK POST:PRESSURE ON CHINA NEEDED TO SOLVE BURMA PROBLEMS
THE NATION:US CONGRESSMEN MOVE AGAINST PRIVATE INVESTMENT IN
               BURMA
THE NATION:NEW GOVT URGED TO CHANGE BURMA POLICY

                             o-------------------------------o
The BurmaNet News is an      |                               |
electronic newspaper         |                  Iti          |
covering Burma.  Articles    |                 snotpo        |
from newspapers, magazines,  |             werthatcor        |
newsletters, the wire        |            ruptsbutfea        |
services and the Internet as |           r.Fearoflosin       |
well as original material    |          gpowercorrupts       |
are published.               |       thosewhowielditand      |
The BurmaNet News  is        |     fearofthescourgeofpowe    |
e-mailed  directly to        |    rcorruptsthosewhoaresub    |
subscribers  and  is         |   jecttoit.Theeffortnecess    |
also  distributed via        |  arytoremainuncorruptedinan   |
the soc.culture.burma        |   environmentwherefearisanint |
and seasia-l mailing         |      egralpartisnotimmediat   |
lists and is also            |      elyapparanttothose       |
available via the            |        fortunateenough        |
reg.burma conference on      |         toliveinstates        |
the APC networks.  For a     |         governedbythe         |
free subscription to         |          ruleoflaw...         |
the BurmaNet News, send      |           Fearisahabi         |
an e-mail message to:        |                t.Iam          |
                             |                   no          |
 majordomo@xxxxxxxxxxx       |                  taf          |
                             |                   ra          |
In the body of the message,  |                  id.          |
type: subscribe burmanews-l  |                  Aun          |
[news only mailing list],    |                  gSa          |
or, for the news+discussion  |                  nS           |
list, type:                  |                   uu          |
   subscribe burmanet-l      |                   Ky          |
                             |                   i.          |
Correspondance and letters   o-------------------------------o
to the editor should be addressed to: strider@xxxxxxxxxxx

INFORMATION ABOUT BURMA VIA THE WEB AND GOPHER:

Information about Burma is available via the WorldWideWeb at:

FreeBurmaWWW http://199.172.178.200/freebrma/freebrma.htm.
[including back issues of the BurmaNet News as .txt files]

BurmaWeb:  http://www.uio.no/tormodl

Burma fonts:
http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~lka/burmese-fonts/moe.html

Ethnologue Database(Myanmar):

http://www-ala.doc.ic.ac.uk/~rap/Ethnologue/eth.cgi/Myanmar

TO ACCESS INFORMATION ABOUT BURMA VIA GOPHER:

 gopher csf.colorado.edu.

Look under the International Political Economy section, then
select Geographic_Archive, then Asia, then Burma.

BURMANET SUBJECT-MATTER RESOURCE LIST

BurmaNet regularly receives enquiries on a number of different
topics related to Burma.  The scope of the subjects involved is
simplytoo broad for any one person to cover.  BurmaNet is
therefore organizing a number of volunteer coordinators to field
questions on various subjects.  If you have questions on any of
the following subjects, please direct email to the following
coordinators, who will either answer your question or try to put
you in contact with someone who can:

Arakan/Rohingya/Burma-   [volunteer needed]
Bangladesh border
Art/archaeology/:        [volunteer needed]
Campus activism:
Boycott campaigns:
Buddhism:                Buddhist Relief Mission,
                         c/o NBH03114@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Fonts:                   tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
History of Burma:        zar1963@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Chin history/culture:
Kachin history/culture:  74750.1267@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Karen history/culture:   102113.2571@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                         Karen Historical Society
Mon history/culture:     [volunteer needed]
Naga history/culture:    [volunteer needed]
[Burma-India border]
Pali literature:         "Palmleaf"
                         c/o burmanet@xxxxxxxxxxx
Shan history/culture:    [volunteer needed]
Tourism campaigns:          bagp@xxxxxxxxxx
                         "Attn. S. Sutcliffe"
World Wide Web:          FreeBurma@xxxxxxxxx
Volunteering:            Dr. Christina Fink
                         c/o burmanet@xxxxxxxxxxx

[Feel free to suggest more areas of coverage]

NLM: LAYING DOWN OF NATIONAL IT POLICY STRESSED

The All-Maynmar Computer Association Organizing Committee held
its Meeting 5/95 at the Universities Central Council Meeting Hall
of the Higher Education Department this afternoon, attended by
Secretary-2 of the State Law and Order Restoration Council Lt_Gen
Tin oo.

Also present at the meeting were Minister for Trade Lt-Gen Tun
Kyi, Minister for National Planning and Economic Development
Brig-Gen Abel, Minister at the Prime Minister's Office Brig-Gen
Lun Maung, Minister for Communications, Posts and Telegraphs U
Soe Tha, Deputy Minister for Education Col Kyi Maung and Dr Than
Nyunt, Deputy Minister for Trade U Aung Thaung, members of the
all Myanmar Computer Association Organizing Committee and
officials.

In his opening address, Lt-Gen Tin oo spoke of extensive applica
tion of computers and computer technology all over the world,
noting that progress of computer technology in Myanmar is not
satis-factory on the present stage.

He recalled computer history in Myanmar and evaluated that though
it was not late to apply computers,  there are only a few who can
master computer technology.

Some computer experts, he said, are eager to work abroad rather
than to strive to disseminate the technology at home.

He said computers are now widely used in various fields, speaking
of the need to up-grade the technology to keep abreast with the
times.

It is essential for all State's functions, associations and
private establishments to work under a network for extensive
exchange of information, he said, speaking of the need to enter
into an internet.

He also spoke of development modern computer technology in many
countries and stressed the need for computer experts to strive in
unity for modernizing, extension and development of technology at
home.

he dealt with Information Technology (IT), which is crucial for
political, economic and social development of a nation, and
explained effective application of IT in the world.

He suggested that National IT Policy should be laid down as the
nation's future strategic aim and called for suggestions and
coordination for emergence of Myanmar Computer Association.
Chairman of the Committee Deputy Minister Dr Than Nyunt explained
the tasks carried out by the Committee.

A general round of discussions followed and the meeting came to
a close with concluding remarks by the Secretary-2.
Myanmar News Agency. (The New Light of Myanmar)

BURMANET: REPORT ON RELIGIOUS HARASSMENT IN CHIN STATE
[This report was written by a Chin person from an organization
operating in the Chin State]

Religious Harassment of the Slorc

The Lashi Township in the Sagaing Division is the area in which
the chrstian Naga people are living. It is a hilly region and the
communication is very difficult.
In October 94, the Slorc Infantry Battalion 229 lead by Maj. Khin
Soe arrived Layshi Township. After IB 229 arrived, Maj. Khin Soe
told that Burma is the Buddhist country and they made operations
to Naga villages and forced to change Naga people from Christian
to Buddhist.

Konkailon village

In December 1994, one platoon from IB 229 led by Lt. Myat Kyaw
came to Konkailon village and arrested the Christian preacher U
Maung Hlaing. U Maung Hlaing was pointed with pistol and com
manded to change all the villagers from christian to Buddhist. It
was lasting for whole night long. The villagers from Konkailon
Buddhist Pagoda at the place of the church. The event was hap
pened on 20 December 1994.

Kuki Village

The similar event was also happened in Kuki village. A platoon
from IB 229 of Slorc came to Kuki village and arrested the Chris
tian preacher U Pa Khaw. He was released after being forced to
sign at gunpoint to accept the Buddhist. Then, 85 villagers were
rolled being under gun point in front of the soldiers and to sign
on a paper that they accept the Buddhism. U Pa Kyaw was ordered
not to any Christian missionary works.

Pansat village

A troop from IB 229 of Slorc came into the Pansat village taking
a Buddhist monk from Pau Mai village on 20 January 95. They
ordered the christian preacher U Alan Paul to call all the vil
lagers. When the villagers had gathered, the military men took
the Buddhist monk in front of the villagers. The villagers were
forced to warship the monk gave them "sila". The villagers could
n't say "parli" words clearly and then all of them were beaten by
the army personals. The soldiers also destroyed the "Cross for
the Memorandum for the year 2000" at the entrance of the village.

Konkailon, Kuki Nurnitmumpi villages

In the first week of January 95, the Slorc troops came to the
Konkailon, Kuki and Nurnitmumpi villages along with the Buddhist
monks. They left a monk in each village and forced the villagers
to Buddhist. The monks are staying in the churches of the vil
lages and guarded by one section of army personals in each vil
lage. The villagers have to send a pig or a chicken everyday for
the monk and the soldiers.

other villages

The villagers from Sumra, Phon Tharet, Leyon, Chatkaran, Ngakyan,
Hinkut, Mitmumi and Pansan villages are now forced by the Slorc
to change from christian to Buddhist.

Naga Baptist Council

Most of the Naga people are the members of the Naga Baptist
Council (NBC). NBC was also under suppression of the Slorc.
During the March 95, when NBC called a meeting in Layshi, the
committee members of the NBC were detained in Layshi for two
days. The meeting had to be postponed for 8 days. The NBC meeting
was held on 15 March.

Government servants

All the government servants in these Naga villages in the Layshi
Township were forced to change to Buddhist. If they refused, they
were forced to retire.

Information from the field reporters of ABSDF

Date:... 1995 April 7.

NLM: ACTION TAKEN AGAINST PEGASUS KARAOKE LOUNGE
New Light of Myanmar

Authorities concerned today released a report that legal action
is to be taken against a foreigner karaoke lounge owner, the
manager and the young ladies on breach of public morals.

A foreigner named Mr Lam is running Pegasus karaoke lounge at No
5, KabaAye Pagoda Road, Yankin Township, and he employed young
ladies who sang karaoke, sat intimately with customers and wore
defiled dresses.

The ladies used to arrive at the lounge in the evening and some
of them reportedly went along with the customers in their cars.

Police and ward authorities raided the place yesterday. The
interior of the lounge is not visible from outside because of
tinted panes. There are dimly-lit dining rooms partitioned with
the tinted glasses.

Police found twenty-three ladies, ten of them with miniskirts,
entertaining the customers, who visited the shop at the rate of
1,000 an hour, with karaoke music and sitting questionably at the
tables.

It was also found that some 20 ladies went into the shop in the
evening and some of them left in their customer's cars. Effective
action is to be taken against the owner Manager U Tint Lwin and
the young ladies. MNA (The New Light of Myanmar)

PREPARATIONS FOR FOURTH WORLD WOMEN'S CONFERENCE DISCUSSED

Secretary-1 of the State Law and Order Restoration Council Lt-Gen
Khin Nyunt met members of the national committee for the Fourth
World Women's Conference at the Social Welfare Department on
KabaAye Pagoda Road this morning.

First, Chairman of the national committee Deputy Minister for
Social Welfare, Relief and Resettlement U Win Naing explained
preparations for the Fourth World Women's Conference. Next, the
Secretary-1 gave suggestions on the preparations. He spoke of the
need to highlight the rights enjoyed by women in Myanmar after
studying discussions of the previous conferences.

he noted the World Women's Conference are organized with the aim
of enabling women to enjoy equal status and rights with men. As
women in Myanmar have been enjoying their full rights, no special
arrangements will be necessary for the purpose, he said.

Myanmar women, he underscored, have been enjoying equal rights
since the beginning of its civilization thousands of years ago.
With the development of civilization, the role of women has also
enhanced.

In accordance with Myanmar cultural traditions handed down since
the time of our ancestors, Myanmar women are under no restric
tions, enjaoying equal status and equal rights, he said.

Even at present, he said, Myanmar women are enjoying equal rights
with men in political, economic, administrative, judicial and
social aspects. There are many instances in which Myanmar women
are assigned duties in the leading administrative positions, he
pointed out.

He went on to say that Myanmar women get social and legal protec
tion, he called for preparations to ensure that such existing
conditions of Myanmar women are vividly presented with firm
evidence.

Next, those present offered suggestions for the preparations. The
Secretary-1 responded. The meeting ended at 10 am. After the
meeting, the Secretary-1 and party inspected the KabaAye Youth
Training Centre and Young Rehabilitation Centre.

The meeting was also attended by Minister for Social Welfare,
Relief and Resettlement Brig-Gen Thaung Myint, Minister for
Foreign Affairs U Ohn Gyaw, Attorney-General U Tha Tun, Deputy
Minister for Foreign Affairs U Nyunt Swe, Deputy Minister for
Information U Thein Sein, Deputy Minister for Health Col Than
Zin, Deputy Minister for Labour U Kyaw Aye, Deputy Minister for
Home Affairs Col Tin Hlaing, Deputy Minister for Education Dr
Than Nyunt, Director General of the State Law and Order Restora
tion Council Office Lt-Col Pe Nyein, departmental heads, the
Presidents of Myanmar Red Cross Society, Myanmar Medical Associa
tion, Myanmar Maternal and Child Welfare Association and Myanmar
Women's Sports Federation and officials. MNA (The New Light of
Myanmar)

NATION: SLORC SUCCESS IN INDONESIA AND SINGAPORE WORRIES WEST

The Week-Long visit to Indonesia and Singapore by Burmese
military leader and Prime Minister Than Shwe which ended on
Sunday reconfirms a trend which Western governments fear the
increasing recognition of the regime.

The ruling State Law and Order Restoration Council (Slorc) is
well aware of its strengths which are abundant natural
resources and plenty of business opportunities for investors.

During the visit, Rangoon and Jakarta signed an agreement to
increase economic and trade ties, including the development of
natural gas resources, and to explore ways to guarantee
investment and avoid double taxation.

Both sides also plan to increase air links and cooperate in
the areas of forestry, telecommunications and fisheries.

A similar agreement was also signed between Burma and
Singapore to further strengthen economic cooperation and
expand trade, especially in tourism and agricultural business.

A joint ministerial body will be set up to oversee joint
projects.

The two countries also agreed to promote shipping and maritime
services and to exchange technical experts and human resources
training.

It seems Rangoon is specially interested in Indonesia where
the political scene is worth studying for Burmese leaders
working out ways to legitimise their hold on power through the
new constitution they are drafting.

"The Slorc seems to be looking toward an Indonesian future - a
military-dominated regime that appears externally to be
civilian but in which power is clearly in the hands of the
military establishment," said David Steinberg, representative
of the Asia Foundation in South Korea.

"This, the Slorc has publicly maintained, is the stability
that Myanmar needs  at this juncture," he told a recent
conference on "Myanmar toward the 21st century: dynamics of
continuity and change", in Chiang Rai.

The Slorc seized power in September 1988 and has since
steadfastly held on to it, ignoring the results of the 1990
multi-party election which saw a landslide victory of the
National League for Democracy led by Aung San Suu Kyi.

In contrast, increasing international recognition from the
visit, as well as relatively stable conditions inside the
country, are enough to make foreign investors comfortable in
dealing with the junta.

"Because of Myanmar's progress in political and economic
fields, together with its military government's attempts to
elicit recognition from other countries, many investors are
now looking at Myanmar in a more positive light, expecting to
see the country recognised internationally soon," an article
in the Bangkok Bank Monthly Review noted.

Natural resources, cheap labour and a big market of 42 million
are enough to attract foreign investment to Burma. Its foreign
investment now totals US$2.23 billion - leading investors are
from the US, France and Singapore.

Rangoon is clearly taking advantage of the lack of concerted
efforts from the international community to pressure it to
release Nobel peace laureate Aung San Suu Kyi.

The Association of Southeast Asian Nations stands by its
constructive engagement policy and, while many western
countries ban political contact with the Slorc, they allow
their private sector to have trade ties with Rangoon.

The momentum is also shifting from total isolation after the
European Union and the US have resumed direct talks with the
junta, even though to convey their concerns over human Rights
abuses and the fate the dissident leader Aung San Suu Kyi who
is approaching her sixth year house arrest.

Tanet Charoenmuang, a political scientist at Chiang Mai
University who also attended the conference, proposed that
since there is no unity in dealing with the junta, an
alternative would be to face the reality of Burma's economic
magnet and try to instill change at grassroots level for the
long term.

Tiled "the democratically constructive engagement" approach.
it has one key element which is lacking from Asean's policy -
clear objectives toward democratisation in Burma, Tanet told
the conference.

"Asean has the advantage of being able to have dialogue with
the Burmese ruling regime, but it does not have concrete
measures to improve the situation in the country, except for
building close business ties," he said his paper.

The alternative approach calls for close ties with the junta
with the objective being to help it develop its economy,
communication and transport system, bureaucracy, banking
system, human resources and other aspects.

"But opening up Burma in all aspects, especially with input
from the outside, the Burmese in a new era should have new
opportunities to build their nation," he said. (BP)

 IRATE VILLAGERS THREATEN PROTEST OVER STOPPAGE OF WORK ON
MOEI RIVER BRIDGE

Disgruntled villagers here have threatened to stage a protest
against Burmese and Thai authorities in this northern province
after the Burmese junta last week abruptly stopped the
construction of a bridge linking the two countries.

Local people including merchants have charged Thai authorities
of the Highway Department of "selling off the Thai soil" to
Burma, by digging up and using the earth from a Mae Sot
mountain to build the bridge across the Moei River.

In Bangkok Defence Minister Gen Vijit Sookmark has played down
the Burmese decision to stop the project and expressed his
optimism and confidence that the two countries could soon
resolve the territorial dispute, which has brought the bridge
construction to a complete halt.

Vijit said yesterday he believed concerned authorities from
both sides could soon find a solution to the territorial
dispute in Tak's Mae Sot district where the Burmese junta has
accused Thailand of encroaching on the Moei River. The river
serves as the natural boundary between Thailand and Burma.

The halt has created growing resentment among Mae Sot resident
and merchants, who have charged the Burmese government of
making an unreasonable decision in stopping the bridge
project.

They also accused the Thai Highway Department of "selling of
the Thai soil" to the Burmese authorities by using the earth
from Thailand to construct the bridge.

They said about 600-truck-loaded soil was dug up from a
mountain in Mae sot and taken over to Burma for the bridge
project.

After the project was stopped, the Burmese authorities have
used the Thai earth to fill and construct Burmese roads,
according to Mae Sot residents.

The Burmese side did not give any share in the project,
neither in term of finance nor material, they added. "In fact
the Burmese should have pulled in some resources because the
bridge will be used by both sides. Thai soil for the
construction came from Thailand but the Burmese authorities,
after stopping the construction, have used it to build roads
in Myawaddy," they said.

Burmese Construction Minister U Khin Maung Yin last week
ordered a halt to the construction of the bridge linking Mae
Sot and Burma's Myawaddy border town from June 5, charging
that Thailand has refilled the bank of the Moei River for the
building of shophouses. The land reclaim affected and diverted
the flow of the river as well as destroy the Burmese bank.

Myawaddy officials have asked Thailand to stop the
construction of both the bridge, which was fully funded by the
Thai Government, and the refilling of land and building of any
structures. They also asked the Thai firm, which is
responsible for the building of the Bt70 million bridge, to
stop its operation and to pull back all its construction
equipment from Burma.

Mae Sot residents were also angry that the Burmese authorities
had asked Thai authorities to pull down any structures built
on disputed land saying that the Burmese should concern
themselves only about their own land and not order Thailand to
destroy the structures.

Mae Sot District Chief Kasem Wattanatham said yesterday that
he had tried to urge local people to stay clam and to stop
their planned protest saying the whole incident was still
unclear and that the Highway Department only followed the Thai
Government's orders.

"We [Thailand] still do not know what was the main conflict. I
would like to urge all parties to stay clam and let the Thai
and Burmese governments negotiate whether it is the [question
of] border demarcation or the construction of Thai
structures," said Kasem.

Defence Minister Vijit said he did not know if the Burmese
abrupt decision to stop the bridge construction stemmed from
the displeasure over the border incidents and problems
relating to the activities of the armed ethnic Karen
guerrillas and opium warlord Khun Sa's Mong Tai Army.

he said the changes of the Moei current was also another
pending dispute which has not yet been resolved.

"Thailand has had good relations with Burma and we have
resolved the problems of the flow of Sai and Ruak river
currents in Chiang Rai province. We have resolved them
peacefully," he added. (TN)

OFFICIAL PONDER INVITING BURMA FOR ASEAN SUMMIT MEETING

Thailand is still weighing up whether Burma deserves to be
invited to a proposed informal meeting of 10 Southeast Asian
heads of government on the eve of the Fifth Asean Summit to be
held in Thailand in December.

"We will go ahead with the planned meeting if no
counter-productive incidents take place," Foreign Ministry
Deputy Permanent Secretary Saroj Chavanavirat said yesterday
at the end of the Asean senior officials' third two-day
meeting of Asean heads of government.

Saroj admitted the situation in Burma was a major concern and
that the ministry would want to consult with the new
government on this and other matters concerning preparations
for the Fifth Asean Summit.

Senior Asean officials decided to invite Burma to attend their
annual ministerial meetings this July as a guest of Brunei,
but were hesitant to include Burma in the 10-state meeting.

After repeated violations of Thai sovereignty by the Burmese
and ethnic Karen forces and the global condemnation of the
regressing political situation in Burma, Thailand has become
less vigorous in pushing for the informal gathering.

The informal meeting, which will include Asean's present six
members, plus Vietnam, to become a new member in July,
Cambodia, Laos and Burma, will be held in between the fifth
meeting of Asean heads of government which is scheduled
between Dec 14 and 15.

At the Asean preparatory meeting for the Fifth Summit here on
Sunday, Asean officials assigned Thailand to work out concept
papers which will embody the objectives of the 10-state
meeting and how Asean should help Cambodia, Laos and Burma
prepare for eventual integration into Asean.

According to Saroj, Asean wanted to fulfil the objectives set
out in Bangkok 28 years ago by Asean founding fathers to have
one Southeast Asian community. He said the 10-state meeting
would be a means to achieve this.

"The 10-state informal meeting will expose the rest of
Southeast Asian states to the direction Asean is heading and
allow them to better prepare themselves," he said.

Saroj said other Asean states so far expressed no opposition
to Burma's attendance at the 10-state meetings did not
indicate that there should by any review of Asean's
constructive engagement policy with Burma.

"We are different from Western countries. We will not pressure
them [Burma] to do what we want. Rather we want to command
their trust," he said.

Asean senior political and economic officials at their joint
meeting yesterday discussed political and economic documents
to be issued at the end of the Fifth Summit by their leaders.

So far Asean officials are aiming at moderate achievements in
the Fifth Summit given the landmark agreements of Asean's
political and economic cooperation produced at the Fourth
Summit in Singapore in 1992.

"We tend not to make it a tradition that we should have
excitement every time there is a meeting," said Saroj.

At the 1992 Fourth Summit, Asean leaders agreed to launch
Asean Free Trade Areas and established an Asean security
dialogue that included Asean and key regional players.

The senior officials said the upcoming summit will be review
and correct those agreements. However according to Saroj, the
economic officials are considering a possibility to shorten a
10-year plan for Asean trade liberalization.

Saroj added that any new initiative depends on the development
up until the summit.

"A lot of things depend on the decision of Asean foreign and
economic ministerial meetings and on whether there might be
another watershed," he said. (TN)

Mail: (i)ndex (u)nread (w)rite (c)apture (d)elete (s)ave (h)elp
(q)uit:
Message 18 (217 lines)