BurmaNet News June 22nd #189

------------------------ BurmaNet ------------------------
"Appropriate Information Technologies, Practical Strategies"

The BurmaNet News: June 22, 1995
Issue #189

BKK POST:   SURIN DISMISSES BURMESE BOYCOTT OF THAI PRODUCTS
THE NATION: NONTHABURI POLICE RAID NETS 15 BURMESE

                             o-------------------------------o
The BurmaNet News is an      |                               |
electronic newspaper         |                  Iti          |
covering Burma.  Articles    |                 snotpo        |
from newspapers, magazines,  |             werthatcor        |
newsletters, the wire        |            ruptsbutfea        |
services and the Internet as |           r.Fearoflosin       |
well as original material    |          gpowercorrupts       |
are published.               |       thosewhowielditand      |
The BurmaNet News  is        |     fearofthescourgeofpowe    |
e-mailed  directly to        |    rcorruptsthosewhoaresub    |
subscribers  and  is         |   jecttoit.Theeffortnecess    |
also  distributed via        |  arytoremainuncorruptedinan   |
the soc.culture.burma        |   environmentwherefearisanint |
and seasia-l mailing         |      egralpartisnotimmediat   |
lists and is also            |      elyapparanttothose       |
available via the            |        fortunateenough        |
reg.burma conference on      |         toliveinstates        |
the APC networks.  For a     |         governedbythe         |
free subscription to         |          ruleoflaw...         |
the BurmaNet News, send      |           Fearisahabi         |
an e-mail message to:        |                t.Iam          |
                             |                   no          |
 majordomo@xxxxxxxxxxx       |                  taf          |
                             |                   ra          |
In the body of the message,  |                  id.          |
type: subscribe burmanews-l  |                  Aun          |
[news only mailing list],    |                  gSa          |
or, for the news+discussion  |                  nS           |
list, type:                  |                   uu          |
   subscribe burmanet-l      |                   Ky          |
                             |                   i.          |
Correspondance and letters   o-------------------------------o
to the editor should be addressed to: strider@xxxxxxxxxxx

INFORMATION ABOUT BURMA VIA THE WEB AND GOPHER:

Information about Burma is available via the WorldWideWeb at:

FreeBurmaWWW http://199.172.178.200/freebrma/freebrma.htm.
[including back issues of the BurmaNet News as .txt files]

BurmaWeb:  http://www.uio.no/tormodl

Burma fonts:
http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~lka/burmese-fonts/moe.html

Ethnologue Database(Myanmar):

http://www-ala.doc.ic.ac.uk/~rap/Ethnologue/eth.cgi/Myanmar

TO ACCESS INFORMATION ABOUT BURMA VIA GOPHER:

 gopher csf.colorado.edu.

Look under the International Political Economy section, then
select Geographic_Archive, then Asia, then Burma.

BURMANET SUBJECT-MATTER RESOURCE LIST

BurmaNet regularly receives enquiries on a number of different
topics related to Burma.  The scope of the subjects involved is
simplytoo broad for any one person to cover.  BurmaNet is
therefore organizing a number of volunteer coordinators to field
questions on various subjects.  If you have questions on any of
the following subjects, please direct email to the following
coordinators, who will either answer your question or try to put
you in contact with someone who can:

Arakan/Rohingya/Burma-   [volunteer needed]
Bangladesh border
Art/archaeology/:        [volunteer needed]
Campus activism:
Boycott campaigns:
Buddhism:                Buddhist Relief Mission,
                         c/o NBH03114@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Fonts:                   tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
History of Burma:        zar1963@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Chin history/culture:
Kachin history/culture:  74750.1267@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Karen history/culture:   102113.2571@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                         Karen Historical Society
Mon history/culture:     [volunteer needed]
Naga history/culture:    [volunteer needed]
[Burma-India border]
Pali literature:         "Palmleaf"
                         c/o burmanet@xxxxxxxxxxx
Shan history/culture:    [volunteer needed]
Tourism campaigns:          bagp@xxxxxxxxxx
                         "Attn. S. Sutcliffe"
World Wide Web:          FreeBurma@xxxxxxxxx
Volunteering:            Dr. Christina Fink
                         c/o burmanet@xxxxxxxxxxx

[Feel free to suggest more areas of coverage]

===== item =====

SURIN DISMISSES BURMESE BOYCOTT OF THAI PRODUCTS

Acting Foreign Minister Surin Pitsuwan yesterday brushed aside
Burma's campaign to boycott Thai products in Myawaddy in
favour of those from China, Singapore, Indonesia and Malaysia.

He said the campaign was just another indication of Burma's
scepticism over Thailand's policy of not interfering in its
internal conflicts with ethnic groups.

Mr Surin maintained that Bangkok will not take its problems
with Burma to the international level even though relations
between the two have continued to deteriorate following a
series of border incursions and Burma's order to suspend
construction of the Thai-Burmese Friendship Bridge.

However, he admitted being surprised at receiving a report
from the Thai Embassy in Rangoon, informing him of the
campaign.

Anti-Thai leaflets, reportedly produced in Rangoon, were
recently handed out to public and civil servants, with posters
also being put up in the eastern Burmese border town opposite
Mae Sot District.

Businessmen in Mae Sot suspect the move was initiated to help
promote local products manufactured in Burma by foreign
investors from Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore.

"It will take time before Burma can resolve its internal
problems," Mr Surin said. "We'll try to use mechanisms at all
levels as we must resolve the problem."

He said past and present issues between Thailand and Burma
would not affect Bangkok's policy to promote unity,
reconciliation and understanding in the region so as to
attract foreign trade and investment for regional prosperity.

Neither will these issues have an effect on the decision by
the Association of Southeast Asian Nations to invite Burma to
attend the annual meeting of its foreign ministers in Brunei
next month as a "guest of the host," Mr Surin said.

Meanwhile relations at the local level between Mae Sot and
Myawaddy have become tense after the Burmese placed bunkers on
the Thai-Burmese Friendship Bridge over the Moei River.

A large number of sandbags were placed on the Burmese side of
the bridge . Construction of the bridge has been suspended
since early this month.

The Myawaddy authorities deployed 100 people to build a rock
dyke encroaching into the river, a bunker around a bridge
pillar and a row of stakes in the river to weaken the current.

Thai local authorities asked the Burmese to explain, but no
answer has been received.

The Burmese earlier asked the Thai contractor to stop
constructing the bridge because they are not happy with some
work extending into the water on the Thai side of the river.

The river is regarded as a border line and Burma contends that
no construction should be allowed on the river which causes
the current to change. Building of the dyke appears to be a
retaliatory measure. (BP)

===== item =====

NONTHABURI POLICE RAID NETS 15 BURMESE

Fifteen ailing Burmese refugees including a severely
handicapped man, two pregnant women and four babies were
rounded up by police early yesterday morning from a house in
Nonthaburi.

The 1 am raid followed a tip-off from neighbours who were
annoyed by a disturbance in the middle of the night caused by
a mentally ill Burmese woman at the refuge. The house was
being utilized as a place for them to recuperate or await
medical treatment.

The detainees were taken to Pak Kret police station, where
they remained, according to relief workers.

The handicapped man was identified as Moe Kyaw, who recently
lost both his eyes and hands in a landmine explosion.

Released after treatment at a border hospital, he arrived in
Bangkok about two weeks ago for a medical check-up and to see
whether he could receive a cornea transplant and be fitted
with prosthesis, said the workers.

Moe Kyaw was not registered by the UN High Commission for
Refugees as a person at risk.

Three other people, all suffering from tuberculosis and
infected with HIV, were in poor physical condition and could
not walk at the time of the arrest. Two other men have broken
legs.

The workers said the house served mainly as a temporary refuge
for sick Burmese recuperating or awaiting medical treatment.

It was not known if the group would be charged and processed
as illegal immigrants or be released because of their
illnesses. Pak Kret police could not be reached for comment.

In another development, Burmese students at the Police
Academy's Special Detention Centre (SDC) have charged Thai
authorities with contributing to the death of a 25-year-old
who suffered a brain illness.

Zaw Zaw, who was among a group of 66 students detained at the
SDC after attempting a protest march over a riot at the
Burmese student camp, died on June 13 while undergoing
emergency medical treatment at the Police Hospital in Bangkok.

An aid worker said Zaw Zaw was known to have long suffered a
brain problem and had twice before been sent to the hospital
for treatment.

The students blame police ignorance and lack of "humanitarian
sympathy" towards Zaw Zaw, and the Interior Ministry for its
"stern and unbending" policy towards Burmese students.

They said they expected to collect Zaw Zaw's body soon and
would try to hold a funeral this week. (TN)

The BurmaNet News is an independant organization and can be
contacted in Bangkok, care of Burma Issues, or in Washington, care
of the National Coalition Government of Burma--Information Office.

Burma Issues
Tel: 662 234 6674
Fax: 662 631 0331

NCGUB Information Office
815 Fifteenth Street NW
Suite 910
Washington, DC 20005
Tel: (202) 393-7342
Tel: (202) 393-4312
Fax: (202) 393 7343

Burma Issues is a non-governmental organization that archives
information on Burma.  The NCGUB is Burma's government in exile
and consists of members elected to Burma's parliament in 1990.
Burma's ruling junta has to date, refused to honor the results of
that election.

The vews expressed in the BurmaNet News do not necessarily
represent those of either Burma Issues of the NCGUB

NEWS SOURCES REGULARLY COVERED/ABBREVIATIONS USED BY BURMANET:
 ABSDF: ALL BURMA STUDENT'S DEMOCRATIC FRONT
 AP: ASSOCIATED PRESS
 AFP: AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE
 AW: ASIAWEEK
 Bt.: THAI BAHT; 25 Bt. EQUALS US$1 (APPROX),
 BBC: BRITISH BROADCASTING CORPORATION
 BF: BURMA FORUM
 BKK POST: BANGKOK POST (DAILY NEWSPAPER, BANGKOK)
 BRC-CM: BURMESE RELIEF CENTER-CHIANG MAI
 BRC-J: BURMESE RELIEF CENTER-JAPAN
 CPPSM:C'TEE FOR PUBLICITY OF THE PEOPLE'S STRUGGLE IN MONLAND
 FEER: FAR EAST ECONOMIC REVIEW
 GOA: GOVERNMENT OF AUSTRALIA
 IRRAWADDY: NEWSLETTER PUBLISHED BY BURMA INFORMATION GROUP
 KHRG: KAREN HUMAN RIGHTS GROUP
 KNU: KAREN NATIONAL UNION
 Kt. BURMESE KYAT; UP TO 150 KYAT-US$1 BLACK MARKET
                   106 KYAT US$1-SEMI-OFFICIAL
                   6 KYAT-US$1 OFFICIAL
 MOA: MIRROR OF ARAKAN
 MNA: MYANMAR NEWS AGENCY (SLORC)
 THE NATION: A DAILY NEWSPAPER IN BANGKOK
 NCGUB: NATIONAL COALITION GOVERNMENT OF THE UNION OF BURMA
 NLM: NEW LIGHT OF MYANMAR (DAILY STATE-RUN NEWSPAPER,RANGOON)
 NMSP: NEW MON STATE PARTY
 RTA:REC.TRAVEL.ASIA NEWSGROUP
 RTG: ROYAL THAI GOVERNMENT
 SCB:SOC.CULTURE.BURMA NEWSGROUP
 SCT:SOC.CULTURE.THAI NEWSGROUP
 SEASIA-L: S.E.ASIA BITNET MAILING LIST
 SLORC: STATE LAW AND ORDER RESTORATION COUNCIL
 TAWSJ: THE ASIAN WALL STREET JOURNAL
 UPI: UNITED PRESS INTERNATIONAL
 USG: UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT
 XNA: XINHUA NEWS AGENCY