KNPP STATEMENT(1/95) on 30/6/95

                 THE KARENNI NATIONAL PROGRESSIVE PARTY

                             STATEMENT(1/95)

Fierce fighting broken out today at about 9 am around Kauk Kauk's
outer perimeter and at Mae Surin confluence. More SLORC troops
have been thrown into KNPP areas, since the latter issued its
statement dated June 28, regarding SLORC military activities in
Karenni. SLORC has now between four to five thousand troops
spread out and poised for an all-out onslaught on Karenni bases.
To "support" them, SLORC has pressured hundred of men, women and
students to serve as porters. Tractors, bullocks carts, and
horses are being requisitioned to carry military equipment,
ammunition, and other supplies.

SLORC has tried to hood-wink and divert the attention of the
international community by announcing that it has, as reported in
Bangkok Post, Friday, June 30, 1995, repeatedly requested access
through KNPP dominated area in order to attack the Mong Tai
headquarters. The irony is that SLORC  has the whole of Shan
State from which to launch attacks against Khun Sa. It does not
in the least need to cross the tiny Karenni territory to attacks
Mong Tai headquarters. The fact that SLORC is launching an all
out military offensive against Karenni is not because Karenni has
refused them access through Karenni to attack the Mong Tai head-
quarters, but to neutralize Karenni forces and to subjugate the
Karenni people. Given the fact that SLORC has a long history of
broken promise and outright lies, this is nothing but, pure
fabrication.

SLORC, in pursuit of its objective- to destroy the Karenni forces
and to subjugate the Karenni people - is brazenly violating human
rights on a ground scale. To mount the military offensive against
the KNPP, it has collected porters fees- 200 kyats per household,
pressed 1500 civilians, woman and children included, to serve as
porters, and requisitioned tractors, bullock carts and horses
into service. This is rice growing season, and tractors, bullocks
and bullock carts are absolutely indispensable for the farmers.

SLORC present military offensive has driven more than a thousand
Karenni people to seek refuge in existing Karenni refuge camps
situated along the border inside Thailand. Currently there are
more than six thousand Karenni refugee along the border.

Karenni is a small nation. It is a small people. It is struggling
to defend its freedom and its territorial integrity. The enemy
which is seeking to subjugate it is a hundred times stronger.
But, we believe that our cause is just, and that freedom is
something worth fighting for. As a result, we have, in spite of
heavy odds against us, decided to continue fighting. we will go
on fighting until we achieve our freedom.

On the other hand, we are looking outward to all peace loving
nations and peoples the world over--governments, non-governmental
organization and individual--- to support our just fight, and to
extend assistance to us in whatever way they can. We requested
them to lend their voice in condemning and pressuring SLORC into
abiding by the agreement it reached with KNPP three months ago,
and withdrawing its troops from the KNPP area.

Failure by the international community to do so will not only
mean sanctioning SLORC's human rights abuses, it will also
embolden and encourage SLORC to continue embarking on its
militaristic and despotic designs which are certain to threat the
stability of the region.

30th June, 1995                           Central Committee
                               Karenni National Progressive Party