REPORT ON ACTIVITIES AND COMMUNICAT

Subject: REPORT ON ACTIVITIES AND COMMUNICATIONS(8/7/95)

/* Written 8 July 11:00am 1995 by DRUNOO@xxxxxxxxxxxx(DR U NE OO) in igc:reg.burma */
/* -------------" Report on activities and communications "------------ */

ACTIVITIES IN ADELAIDE (A PERSONAL ACCOUNT)
On  27  May  1995,  the  Burmese  students in Adelaide, with few Australian
friend, meet at my home to put out action on Burma. A  petition  form  with
background information on human rights situation in Burma was approved.

On  4  &  11  June,  I  visited  Goodwood  Church in Adelaide and collected
petitions from that community. Friends from the Church community have always
been sympathetic supporters to Burmese cause, though they knew little about
Burma.  Nontheless,  they are always able to support and help me in anycase
from  the time I've been a refugee to Australia. On 18 June,  a  prayer was
made  for  Daw  Aung  San Suu Kyi for her well being. Friends from Goodwood
are also kind enough in making the best wishes for their Burmese friend who
they  have known for a few years.

On 19 June, as reported earlier, we collected petitions from the people  of
Adelaide  in  front  of  South  Australian Parliament house from 10:00am to
2:00pm. Most people are cooperative in signing the sheets. The  local  news
paper also ran an article about Suu Kyi on that day. I've  also  written to
some Radio/TV stations, informing about our activity - and as  usual  -  is
ignored. Premier of South Australia was also informed earlier - but must be
assumed unavailable.

I am grateful for EMMA and her sister, DANNY, JON (GreenLeft Weekly), MG MG
NAING  (ABSL rep. for Australia), HTIN AUNG, TUN OO, SR PAT and BUDI showed
up on that day and helping in collecting petitions. The Adelaide  Diocesian
Justice and Peace Commission is also thanked for their help in making photo
copies of the "FREEDOM FROM FEAR" leaflets.

I  have  also  sent  the  petition to the "Women's International League for
Peace and Freedom (WILPF)" in  Adelaide.  WILPF  has  its  headquarters  in
Geneva and said that it is happy  to  distribute the petition through their
network.

We are grateful to have the support to petition by Australian Church Women,
N.S.W.  unit  in  Sydney.  Petitions  are  sent  to  the  Secretary-General
promptly. Local UNHCR office in Canberra has also been informed  about  the
petition as it appropriate.

The GreenLeft Weekly is also thanked for publicizing the  petition  through
their  action  network.  Petitions  from  Adelaide  Resistance  Centre  has
reportedly  sent  to  the  Secretary-General.  We  thank   you   for   your
cooperations.  -- U Ne Oo.

***************************
FROM ACTION UPDATE OF THE "GREENLEFT WEEKLY, JUNE 28,1995:"

Campaign for Burma

A   national  petition   campaign   has  been  launched  to  coincide  with
international efforts to place greater presure on the military dictatorship
in Burma. The campaign runs from June 19 until Unly 20, the date  by  which
Burmese  Nobel  Peace laureate Aung San Suu Kyi is due to be released. June
18 marks her 50th birthday.

Suu Kyi has been kept under house arrest for  six  years  by  the  military
junta. She is founder and leader of the main opposition party, the National
League  for  Democracy. The petition calls for the unconditional release of
Aung San Suu Kyi; the implementation of cease-fire  and  peace  settlements
between  the ethnic minorities and the Burmese army; and  the imposition of
an international arms embargo on Burma.  For  further  information  contact
your  nearest  Burma  solidarity  group or Dr U Ne Oo, 48/2 Ayliffes Rd, St
Marys SA 5042.

********************************

COMMUNICATIONS
--------------
WOMEN'S INTERNATIONAL LEAGUE FOR PEACE AND FREEDOM
GPO BOX 2094
ADELAIDE SA 5001
Tel 232 6334  fax 232 6335

21st June 1995

Burma Action(SA)
C/ ADJPC
GPO Box 2602
ADELAIDE SA 5001

Dear Friends

We have received your petition for human rights in Burma and the background
information.  We  very  much  support  your  actions and will be pleased to
circulate copies of the petition.

For your information we enclosed a copy of a letter we sent to Gareth Evans
on the 14th June regarding the imprisonment of Aung San suu Kyi.

Best Wishes
Sd. Yumi Lee and cathy Picone
Coordinators
WILPF (Australian Section)

/* -------------" WILPF letter to Senator Evans "---------------- */

Senator The Hon. Gareth Evans QC
Minister for Foreign Affairs
Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
Parliament House
Canberra ACT 2600

June 14th 1995

Dear Senator Evans

RE: SLORC's imprisonment of Aung San Suu Kyi

As  you are well aware, July 16th 1995 will mark the sixth year of Aung San
Suu  Kyi's  imprisonment by SLORC. The international community has thus far
been ineffectual in translating our condemnation of the  blatant  abuse  of
human rights by the Burmese junta. It is clear that the strategy adopted by
Australia  to  implement a 'constructive engagement' with Myanmar/Burma has
not yielded nay results which point to the wisdom of its continued use.

Bill Richardson (Democrat, New Mexico) will soon  be  urging  a  unilateral
withdrawal   by  the  United  States  of  America  from  Myanmar/Burma.  We
understand that this entils withdrawing trade links worth  US$250  million.
Mr Richardson has recently visited the country to follow up on his previous
trip where he was allowed to meet up with Aung San suu Kyi. He reports that
he  was not permitted to see her again and that the junta was "backsliding"
on human rights issues. We agree with Senator Richardson who  calls  for  a
multilateral  aggressive  engagement  in  sending  a  clear  message to the
Burmese Junta. The current approach  of  ostensibly  building  constructive
ties  with the military regime has only profited the elite within the armed
forces and their allies. It is a case of "too many carrots and no sticks".

Australia has a well-deserved reputation internationally as an advocate for
human rights and social justice. The continuing liaison  with  the  Burmese
junta  who  has  not  made  any  convincing progress in improving its human
rights record does not reflect well on the excellent  work  which  you  and
your  department  have  been  doing  recently in the region. We call on the
Australian government to withdraw all diplomatic, military and trade  links
with Myanmar/Burma as a matter of priority.

We  look  forward  to hearing from you on the actions you will be taking on
this matter.

Thank you.

YOurs sincerely
Sd. Cathy Picone & Yumi Lee
Coordinators
Women's International League for Peace and Freedom
GPO Box 2094, Adelaide South Australia.

/* ---------" Note from UNHCR "---------- */

UNITED NATIONS HIGH COMMISSIONER FOR REFUGEES
Office of regional representative for Australia,
New Zeland and South Pacifc
9 Terrigal Crescent
O'Malley, A.C.T. 2606
Australia

Dr. Ne Oo
C/O ADJPC
G.P.O. Box 2602
Adelaide SA 5001

Dear Dr. Oo,

We acknowledge the receipt of your petition to the United Nations  Security
Council  of  4  June  1995, the contents of which we have taken note. Thank
you.

Yours sincerely,
Sd. Pierre-MIchel Fontaine
Regional Representative

/* ----------" Letter from TRW "------------ */

TRIBAL REFUGEE WELFARE IN SOUTH EAST ASIA(INC.)
PO BOX 215, MIRRABOOKA, WESTERN AUSTRALIA 6061
TELEPHONE:(09) 349 4073   FACSIMILE:(09) 349 5254

Dr U Ne Oo
48/2 Ayliffes Road
St Marys S.A. 5042

Dated 8th June 1995

Dear Dr U Ne Oo,

Greetings from Western Australia and many many thanks for your most welcome
letter of 4th JUne 1995 and your donation of $30.00 which arrived  here  on
7th June 1995.

Yes,  we  know  U  Kyaw  Win  very  well and after making the movie "Beyond
Rangoon" he came to visit Perth and his wife Riri came  to  meet  him  here
where they stayed a few weeks to enjoy the W.A. climate.

Your  petition  forms  came  at  the  right  time,  as  you know we will be
celebrating  Daw  Suu's  50th  Birthday  on   17th   June   1995   at   the
Australian-Asian Community Cnetre, so we intend to make more copies of your
petition to get more signatures on that day.

Thank  you  for the copy of your letter from UNHCR, we will give them a pat
on the back to encourage  them  to  do  more  for  our  Burma  refugees  in
Thailand. We will definitely send you a copy of our letter.

Thank you also for the report on Bill Richardson, I am wondering whether it
would  be  once again all promises and nothing else ? Lets wait and see and
hope our government will do something constructive. We're sick of promises.

We are so honoured to learn that you would like to  be  our  supporter.  We
will  gladly accept your support. TRW is a Board of 9 Committee Members and
we do not have membership but we have supporters here. They have pledged to
donate to us $5.00 a month which is Tax Decuctable. All Board Members  also
donate $5.00 a month although they do not have to.

This  morning  we  received  a very sad letter from the All Burma Student's
League from Delhi requesting us to please write to the Indian Ambassador on
their behalf regarding the recent opening of the border up north  suposedly
for trade and the precarious situation they would be facing under the hands
of the Indian Government.

I  would  like  to  request  you  to please consider writing to authorities
regarding the Burmses students in India. Copies of our letters will be sent
to you for information.

I would also like to take this opportunity to  thank  you  for  sending  us
information from time to time so that we too can take action on it. We also
thank  you  for  the  donation  which you sent us as this would assist us a
great deal in postage.

During the month of May 1995 we were extremely busy as the  Uniting  Church
held  the  Burma  Exhibition  - Democracy Denied from 5th to 9th May at the
Church Hall in Perth in which we participated and then on the 10th  May  we
had  the  two  Asiawatch Researchers from Sydney with us till they left for
Bangkok on 13th May 1995. They stayed with us and we  provided  some  meals
and all transport.

This  was  organised by the Community Aid Abroad here in Perth on behalf of
the International Women's Development Agency based in Victoria. We received
no thanks at all and we have written to them regarding this matter. All the
functions we had were successful regarding the trafficking of Burmese women
and girls into Thai brothels. A lot of people were shocked to  learn  about
it  but  few  Burmese attended or showed any interest which was observed by
the Australians here and they could not get over it.

As you know Dr U NE Oo, we  do  not  get  much  support  from  the  Burmese
Community,  most of whom could't care less and they all want to visit Burma
for the last time. Some go to visit relatives and to show off. It seems  to
us  we  are  fighting a terrific force of evil but I am certain that in the
end, good will come out triumphant in the end.

Mr Hugh Wood is one of our Board Members and since 1986 he has been with us
and has been fighting for justice for all and does most  of  our  political
lobbying for us.

We have several so called pro-democracy groups here in W.A. /*-----*/

How  is  the  weather  your  end ? Here we are having lots of rain, thunder
storms and gusty winds and hail stones. We need the rain as  we  had  water
restrictions last summer.

Well  Dr.  I guess I have given you all the news from this end and we would
be most grateful if you could put us in touch with Dr Paul Webb. How did he
come to know of TRW. Could we get a copy of his Newsletter ?

Please continue with the good work you are doing,  it's  not  the  quantity
that  is  important  but  quality Dr. We appreciate the work you are doing.
Please keep in touch.

Sd. Conny Allmark.

/* -------" Letter from Karen Support Group in WA "----------- */

KAREN SUPPORT GROUP
154 Arakana road, BAlga WA 6061, Australia.

27th May 1995

Dear Doctor,

Thank you for your letter of May 22nd. Yesterday I atttended hearings  with
the  Human Rights Sub-Committee here in Perth. As soon as Hansard publishes
the submissions I will send you a copy of mine.

We recently held an exhibition on Burma which I helped organise  on  behalf
of  the  Uniting  Church.  We  also  held  some  events  including a dinner
organised by Tribal Refugee Welfare for the two ladies from Asia Watch  who
were  here  regarding  the plight of Burmese women exploited in Thailand in
the sex trade.

I have actively being lobbying members of  Parliemant  regarding  Australia
giving more help to the pro-democracy movement in and outside Burma as well
as disseminating information here and overseas.

We have received much assistance from Senator Christabel Chamarette, Greens
W.A.  Senator  Chamarette attended our dinner together with two of her aids
and also recently put out a press release on Burma. Tribal Refugee  Welfare
will be holding a dinner to commemorate the birthday of Aung San Suu Kyi on
the  17th  of JUne. TRW will be taking part in Refugee week during the week
beginning 18th June.

I am much encouraged by a proposed act of  the  U.S.  Congress  at  present
before  it  which  if  past  will signal a quite clear toughening of policy
towards Burma. This act calls for among other things a downgrading of  U.S.
diplomatic representation in Rangoon and an arms embargo.

I  am  associated  with  a number of organisations interested - in seeing a
restoration of deocracy in Burma. These include Tribal Refugee Welfare, The
Australia Burma Council, Amnesty  International,  The  Refugee  Council  of
Western  Australia,  O.B.L.F.,  the  American Karen Association, the Greens
Western Australia and a number of individuals and  organisations  here  and
overseas.

Thank  you  for keeping me informed. I shall be in toudch with you sometime
in June after my return to Perth.

Yours sincerely
Sd. Hugh Wood.

/* Endreport */