BurmaNet News: july 9, 1995 [#197]

Date: Sun, 9 Jul 1995 07:19:44 -0700

-------------------------- BurmaNet ------------------------------
"Appropriate Information Technologies, Practical Strategies"

The BurmaNet News: July 9, 1995
Issue #197

NOTED IN PASSING:

BURMANET: THAI QUEEN TO VISIT KAREN REFUGEE CAMP
NATION: BURMESE BATTALIONS CAPTURE MAJOR KARENNI MILITARY BASE
NATION: BURMESE GENERAL DASHES HOPE OF SUU KYI'S RELEASE THIS MONTH
NATION: MON CEASEFIRE: TOWARDS LASTING PEACE?
BKK POST: THAILAND WON'T BACK RESISTANCE IN LAOS, BURMA
BKK POST: FIVE BORDER PASSES OPENED TO ACCOMMODATE THAI-BURMA
          TRADE
BKK POST: BURMA TROOP DEPLOYMENT AT BORDER INTENDED TO CHECK ON
          THAI TRADERS
BKK POST: WIMOL: BURMESE STUDENTS ARE ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS NOT
          REFUGEES
BKK POST: ETHNIC MON MURDERS LOVER'S HUSBAND
BURMANET: LETTER---NEWS OF CANBERRA DEMONSTRATION

                             o-------------------------------o
The BurmaNet News is an      |                               |
electronic newspaper         |                  Iti          |
covering Burma.  Articles    |                 snotpo        |
from newspapers, magazines,  |             werthatcor        |
newsletters, the wire        |            ruptsbutfea        |
services and the Internet as |           r.Fearoflosin       |
well as original material    |          gpowercorrupts       |
are published.               |       thosewhowielditand      |
The BurmaNet News  is        |     fearofthescourgeofpowe    |
e-mailed  directly to        |    rcorruptsthosewhoaresub    |
subscribers  and  is         |   jecttoit.Theeffortnecess    |
also  distributed via        |  arytoremainuncorruptedinan   |
the soc.culture.burma        |   environmentwherefearisanint |
and SEASIA-L mailing         |      egralpartisnotimmediat   |
lists and is also            |      elyapparanttothose       |
available via the            |        fortunateenough        |
reg.burma conference on      |         toliveinstates        |
the APC networks.  For a     |         governedbythe         |
free subscription to         |          ruleoflaw...         |
the BurmaNet News, send      |           Fearisahabi         |
an e-mail message to:        |                t.Iam          |
                             |                   no          |
 majordomo@xxxxxxxxxxx       |                  taf          |
                             |                   ra          |
In the body of the message,  |                  id.          |
type: subscribe BURMANEWS-L  |                  Aun          |
[news only mailing list],    |                  gSa          |
or, for the news+discussion  |                  nS           |
list, type:                  |                   uu          |
   subscribe BURMANET-L      |                   Ky          |
                             |                   i.          |
Correspondance and letters   o-------------------------------o
to the editor should be addressed to: strider@xxxxxxxxxxx

BURMANET SUBJECT-MATTER RESOURCE LIST

BurmaNet regularly receives enquiries on a number of different
topics related to Burma.  The scope of the subjects involved is simply
too broad for any one person to cover.  BurmaNet is therefore
organizing a number of volunteer coordinators to field questions on
various subjects.  If you have questions on any of the following
subjects, please direct email to the following coordinators, who will
either answer your question or try to put you in contact with someone
who can:

Arakan/Rohingya/Burma-   [volunteer needed]
Bangladesh border
Art/archaeology/:        [volunteer needed]
Campus activism:         [on summer vacation]
Boycott campaigns:       [on summer vacation]
Buddhism:                Buddhist Relief Mission,
                         c/o NBH03114@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Chin history/culture:    plilian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Fonts:                   tamla@xxxxxxxxxxxx
History of Burma:        zar1963@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Kachin history/culture:  74750.1267@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Karen history/culture:   102113.2571@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                         Karen Historical Society
Mon history/culture:     [volunteer needed]
Naga history/culture:    [volunteer needed]
[Burma-India border]
Pali literature:         "Palmleaf"
                         c/o burmanet@xxxxxxxxxxx
Shan history/culture:    [volunteer needed]
Shareholder activism:    frdc@xxxxxxxxxxx     "Attn. S. Billeness"
Tourism campaigns:         bagp@xxxxxxxxxx       "Attn. S. Sutcliffe"
World Wide Web:          FreeBurma@xxxxxxxxx
Volunteering:            Dr. Christina Fink
                         salween@xxxxxxxxxxxx

[Feel free to suggest more areas of coverage]
BURMANET: THAI QUEEN TO VISIT KAREN REFUGEE CAMP
July 9, 1995

According to several reliable sources, Queen Sirikit of Thailand will
soon visit one of the Karen refugee camps in Thailand.  The camp slated
for the visit is Mae La.  Her trip was originally scheduled for May 29,
but was postponed, ostensibly because of the Princess Mother's ill
health.  According to at least one well informed source, Thai
authorities also wanted to delay the trip because of the elections
in Thailand.  The elections have just been held and a new government
should be set up this month, which would allow the trip to go forward.

Queen Sirikit's trip is reportedly in response to a personal request
made to her by U.N. Secretary General Boutrous Boutrous Ghali, who met
with the Queen during her last visit to the United States.
BurmaNet also has a report that the Queen also received a letter from a
group of Karen elders in the United States, requesting that she
intercede to help the Karen refugees.

The SLORC is reportedly angry about the planned trip because they
consider the Karen refugees to be little short of bandits.  However, one
SLORC official contacted in connection with the visit said there
will be reaction because the visit is an internal affair for Thailand.
Criticism directed at any member of the Royal Family in Thailand is
considered to be lese majeste and would be a fairly serious
provocation should the SLORC publicly object to her visit.

In March 1994, Myet Khin Thet, a magazine connected to the Burmese
secret police (DDSI) printed an article critical of Thai culture,
insinuating that Thai society was so debased that even Princess
Sirindhorn would have been a prostitute if she weren't the King's
daughter.  That article drew a sharp protest from the Thai embassy in
Rangoon and the magazine printed an apology, of sorts, in a later
issue.  The "apology" said that the original article was printed without
authorization and if anything like it happened again, the person
responsible would be punished.  The apology was signed by "The
Editorial Staff," which was a bit curious given that the offending
article was authored by the lead editor.

NATION: BURMESE BATTALIONS CAPTURE MAJOR KARENNI MILITARY BASE
The Nation/8.7.95

Burmese government troops backed by more then 10 battalions
yesterday captured a major Karenni military base opposite Mae
Hong Son province after a nearly week-long clash intended to
force the ethnic force to open its territory.

However according to an informed source in the Karenni National
Progressive Party(KNPP), the camp headquarters 99, opposite Ban
Nai Soi of Muang district, fell easily to the Burmese government
troops because of the KNPP fighters have already abandoned the
base and fanned out into small guerrilla units to prepare for a
counter-offensive.

Small groups of Karenni refugees continue to cross into Mae Hong
Son yesterday in fear of a fresh advance by Burmese government
troops which have already sent more than 20,000 refugees into
Thailand since fighting started last week.

The influx of refugees is also triggering the spread of malaria,
respiratory-related disease, and diarrhoea in Thai border
villages, according to Deputy-Secretary General of the Thai Red
Cross Society Dr. Direk Na Thalang, who visited the border area
yesterday.

Her majesty the Queen has asked the society to send medical
assistance to the areas to stem the spread of disease.

The fighting which is believed to stem from the violation of a
March ceasefire agreement between the Burmese government and the
KNPP has also crippled logging activities in Kayah state which
are mostly monopolized by Thai businessmen.

On Wednesday , Gen Knin Nyunt, a top junta leader, said the
fighting resulted from a breakdown in communications.

Meanwhile Aye Kham, a coordinator of Khun Sa's Mong Tai
Army(MTA), said Khun Sa had concentrated more than 10,000 troops
Ban Hua Muang and spread them out of around Shan State to prepare
to counter the offensive by government troops.

"We are not frightened because we  have the upper hand," Aye Kham
said.

He said that it may take Burmese troops more then two days on
foot to get to Hua Muang. "We still have enough time to intercept
them," he said.

Meanwhile, Thai officials at an inter-agency meeting on security
along the border at Chiang Rai, chaired by National Security
Council chief Charan Kulavanijaya, were assured of the
government's policy to cooperate with Burmese troops in
suppressing drug trafficking, to deny support to Burmese armed
ethnic groups and to deny them the chance of attacking Burmese
government troops from Thai soil.

They also agreed to cooperate with Burma in intercepting war
weapons smuggled into Thailand and destined for ethnic armed
insurgents fighting the Burmese government.

NATION: BURMESE GENERAL DASHES HOPE OF SUU KYI'S RELEASE THIS MONTH
The Nation/8.7.95

Associated Press

RANGOON- A top Burmese leader slammed Western countries for
attacking its human rights record and signaled that pro-democracy
leader Aung San Suu Kyi would not be released from house arrest
this month.

The rights of 45 million people in the country more important
that the rights of an individual," said Lt Gen Khin Nyunt
yesterday in an apparent reference to Suu Kyi.

The Nobel Peace Prize winner this month completes her sixth year
under house arrest in the Burmese capital. Khin Nyunt's comment
indicated that Burma would not bow to Western pressure and
release her.

The secretary of the ruling junta, which seized power in 1988
after crushing a pro-democracy uprising, also accused some
Western nations of using human rights as a pretext to meddle in
Burma affairs.

"Without considering the tradition, cultural, religion and
economic situation of the country some Western countries continue
their criticism towards Burma under the pretext of human rights,"
he told a meeting of senior government officials.

He said other rights could be offered to the people only after
their basic human needs are met.

Suu Kyi was arrested by the junta in 1989 a year before her
political party scored a landslide victory in general elections.
The military rulers refused to honour the results and instead
intensified their clampdown on all dissidents.

Most analysts believed Suu Kyi believe Suu Kyi, who recently
turned 50, will not be release until after the military puts in
place its own government and constitution, expected late this
year or in 1996.

In contrast to his attack on the West, Khin Nyunt praised the
"constructive engagement" policy followed by some Asian nations
towards Burma.

Nations such as Thailand and Singapore say dialogue rather than
ostracism will help change Burma's internal policies.

Critics of "constructive engagement" say its merely a smokescreen
under which neighbouring nations can move in to exploit Burma's
rich resources.

Recalling the exchange of visits with leaders of Laos, Singapore,
Vietnam and China, Knin Nyunt said friendship and mutual
cooperation between Burma and neighbouring countries have
developed.

Bilateral relations between the six members countries of the
Asian Nations and Burma have also expanded, he added.

US congressman Bill Richardson, who visited Burma in May and met
Khin Nyunt and other junta leaders, said the human rights
situation has turned seriously repressive this year and predicted
Suu Kyi would not be released on the coming sixth anniversary of
her house arrest.

# Reuter adds from Colombo: Scores of Sri Lankan Buddhist monks
and politicians protested outside the Burmese embassy in Colombo
yesterday, demanding Rangoon restore democracy and free Suu Kyi
from house arrest.

The protesters, call the movement for Democracy in Burma,
presented a petition to embassy officials demanding the
government elected in 1990 polls be allowed to take office and
called for the release of all political prisoners.

The movement was formed in 1993 after a visit by leading Burmese
Buddhism monks, who opposed the country's ruling junta.

The Burmese monks had mobilized support among their Sri Lankan
colleagues, spokesman for the movement said.

On Thursday, parliament passed a private members' motion calling
for the release of Suu Kyi and the restoration of democracy in
Burma.

Speakers called Suu Kyi the Nelson Mandela of the east and
refereed to the historic links between Sri Lanka and Burma.

But one parliamentarian, Tilak Karunaratne of the United Nation
Party, said the motion would be counter productive at a time when
he argued the military-run Burmese government was opening up
politically and economically.

NATION: MON CEASEFIRE: TOWARDS LASTING PEACE?
The Nation/8.7.95

         On June 29, the New Mon state Party struck a ceasefire
        agreement with the Burmese junta. YINDEE LERTCHAROENCHOK
             talked to a Mon leader who participated in the
                negotiations and the ceasefire ceremony.

"For the first time in about four decades the Mon people in the
cities and those in the jungle met and were reunited. It's a very
happy event. And for the first time also I will be able to go
back to visit my hometown," announced a joyful senior leader of
the New Mon State Party (NMSP) early this week.

Like tens of thousands of Mon fighters and refugees, and million
of other Mon people in Burma, the NMSP leader wishes to see an
eventual lasting peace in his Mon land and, ultimately, in the
whole Burma _ a country which has been seen wars of all kinds,
just right after the end of World War II.

The described jovial atmosphere and reunion took place last week
when a 27-member NMSP delegation, led by Vice President Nai Htin,
travelled from their headquarters on the Thai-Burmese border _
just across from Thailand's Kanchanaburi province _ to the Mon
State capital of Moulmein to attend the ceremony on July 29,
marking the ceasefire agreement between the group and the Burmese
junta the State Law and Order Restoration Council (Slorc). Both
sides did not sign any document.

Like 14 other ethnic groups that had earlier struck separate
truce agreements with the Slorc, the Mon organization was left
with no other alternative but to seek peace talks with the Slorc
and retain the status quo. The Mons realized that if the peace
talks failed to be held, they would be marginalized as a
negligible resistance, or worse still be completely wiped out by
the more superior Burmese army.

While some of the early groups that had entered into ceasefire
agreements for purely economic reasons, other have been pressured
by the changing global and regional geopolitical environment.
Also the West's growing interests in resource-rich Burma, which
prompted many developed countries to soften their stance towards
the regime in Rangoon and to Opposition and armed ethnic
fighters, was a contributory factor.

Likewise, after nearly half a century of indecisive civil wars,
the border population, whose life and well-being have been
routinely disrupted by sporadic military conflicts, long to see
an end to armed hostility. Because of this, they have often urged
the ethnic guerrillas to seek other alternative approaches to end
this costly violence.

The reluctant Mon group, with pressure from some powerful Thai
policy makers in cooperation with some businessmen, was forced to
enter the first dialogue in Moulmein with the Slorc in December
1993. The talks, followed by two others in March and July 1994,
broke down as both sides could not accept the other's strategic,
political and economic demands.

But with the assistance and coordination of three mediators _ two
Mons and one ethnic Kachin _ both sides resumed negotiations
after a long lull. Surprisingly, a breakthrough followed by a
subsequent agreement were reached in the early June meeting this
year.

The NMSP has been grateful to the unsparing "efforts and
sincerity" of the three mediators who had travelled back and
forth several times between Rangoon, Moulmein and the border to
facilitate the peace process. The three are an elected Mon MP,
Nai Khin Maung, from the Mon National Democratic Front; Nai Pe
Tin, a Mon trader from Moulmein; and U Khun Myat, a Kachin
businessman who had earlier helped and mediated in the truce deal
between the Slorc and the Kachin Independence Organization.

The three mediators were present at the Mon-Slorc meeting in June
and also at the man 29 ceasefire ceremony. Slorc strongman Lt Gen
Khin Nyunt and about 10 other ministers flew in from Rangoon to
attend t

he 60 minute event in the morning, where about 2,000
local Mon representative and dignatories were also invited.
Outside the regional military headquarters 3,000-4,000 local
people, students, medical doctors, nurse, and government servants
gathered outside to celebrate the occasion.

During the ceremony, Nai Aung Naing, a NMSP vice secretary for
central military committee, also handed Maj Gen Ket Sein,
commander of Burmese Southern Command who headed the Slorc
negotiating  team with the Mon, a list of 7,000 Mon troops and
militia forces and 8,000 arms.

According to the senior Mon leader, who was a member in the peace
delegation, the success of the fourth round of talks came about
because of the willingness of both sides to compromise.

"Negotiations are like trade. Sometimes you have to reduce the
price and sometimes you have to bargain. Both sides have changed
their attitudes. We [NMSP] have changed ours and so did the
Slorc. The three mediators have been very helpful as well," said
the senior Mon leader.

He said he did not know why the three mediators were allowed to
attend the Mon-Slorc negotiations while the Slorc had repeatedly
rejected similar requests by another armed ethnic ally, the Karen
National Union, to have a third party witness or a guarantor in
its peace talks with Rangoon.

After the morning ceremonial formalities, the Mon delegation met
with Khin Nyunt and other Slorc ministers to discuss about
"regional development programmes," where the ethnic team raised
its proposals and requests concerning the issues of refugees and
their resettlement, economic activities, regional development
projects, health and education issues.

In the agreement, the NMSP was allowed to retain its armed
forces, weaponery and 20 of its controlled territorial areas in
Mergui, Tavoy, Moulmein and Thaton while civilians and villagers
could travel freely without hindrance from the two parties. Also,
unarmed troops would first have to ask permission from either
side before travelling. Initially, the group had demanded control
of more than 20 areas.

Burmese troops however would be allowed to pass through the NMSP
areas during their regular changes duty.

The guerilla group would establish a "liasion office" in
Thanbyuzayat, Ye, Three Pagoda Pass, Moulmein, and Mergui to
coordinate contacts and communications between both sides.

The Slorc would respect the Mon ethnicity, its culture and
education, and allow public campaigns to preserve them. Rangoon
has responded positively to the NMSP request for the release of
Mon prisoners of war and political detainees, unless they were
found to be "criminals". The ethnic group would provide the Slorc
with a list of these prisoners.

The Mon delegation has informed and requested the Slorc to allow
it to conduct economic activities such as logging and fishing
business, import-export trading and taxation but the Rangoon
military junta has not yet officially replied.

Both sides did not touch on the issue of the multi-billion-dollar
gas pipeline project that will transport gas from the Gulf of
Martanban for sale to Thailand. But Slorc leaders it seems urged
the Mon delegates to help oversee the project as it prosperity to
the country and the Mon State.

When the gas project begins to operate, the Mon State will be
richer than other regions, the NMSP leader quoted one of the
Slorc members as saying. After the ceasefire, the NMSP said the
leader, had yet formulate an official position on the gas
pipeline project.

Also, the ethnic team specified what kind of primary and
secondary schools, roads and dams together with hospitals, it
wanted the Slorc to build or help improve.

On the issue of over 11,000 Mon refugees who have been seeking
refuge in four border camps along the Thai-Burmese border, the
NMSP wants to see two of the camps _ Halockhani and Payaw _
relocated to new sites a few kilometres further into the country
where fresh water is available.

The Slorc, as expected, turned down the NMSP request for
crossborder assistance _ food and medical supplies _ to these
refugees saying that if non-go

vernmental organizations NGOs
carrying out humanitarian relief want to assist the fugitives,
they would then have to do it through Rangoon.

"As the issue has not been agreed upon and the Slorc knows that
the refugees have been receiving crossborder aid from NGOs in
Thailand, we do hope that they would not officially hinder the
flow of the assistance. We prefer to keep quiet and let things
proceed quietly as it is," said the senior Mon leader.

The Slorc has forbidden other groups from receiving crossborder
or direct assistance programmes from private aid agencies after a
ceasefire agreement. Those agencies, which want to do so, will
have to contact and receive official endorsement from Rangoon.

Although both sides have also preferred to put aside, at least
for the being, sensitive issues of refugees and assistance,
economic activities and particularly political agenda, the NMSP
has made clear its position that the truce does not mean that it
has surrendered or given arms to the Slorc.

The NMSP has also informed the Slorc that it considers other
armed ethnic guerrilla forces including the embattled Karen
National Union (KNU) as allies and has been in touch with them.
It has unofficially urged the Slorc to talk with the KNU, the
only group that has not yet entered into peace dialogues with
Rangoon.

The ethnic team has declared its position at a grand dinner
gathering of about 200 Mon guests at the Moulmein Hotel organized
by the local Mon populace on July 1 to celebrate the ceasefire
pact.

The gathering was informed of the details of the agreement and
the policies and objectives of the NMSP including its future
plan. "Everybody has a better understanding of what we (NMSP) are
and have been doing. They are very pleased and happy with the
truce. Previously, only 50 per cent of the Mon people had a true
idea of us, but now I would say about 80 per cent have got a
better understanding of the development," said the leader.

The Mon group, like other Burmese ethnic nationalities, knows
that truce is only a "temporary" mechanism and a beginning of
more arduous task to find a political solution to their struggle
for ethnic rights and autonomy. They share the aspirations and
hopes that a government in Rangoon with a genuine political will,
courage, and an open-minded attitude will emerge one day to
resolve, once and for all, the chronic problems of Burma's ethnic
diversity through a comprehensive peaceful political settlement.

BKK POST: THAILAND WON'T BACK RESISTANCE IN LAOS, BURMA
Bkk Post/8.7.95

Chiang Rai

THAILAND will not support acts of hostility by minority or
resistance groups against the governments of Burma or Laos,
National Security Council secretary-general Charan Kullavanijaya
said yesterday.

Gen Charan reiterated Thailand's stance towards neighbouring
countries at a seminar on the implementation of the national
security policy in northern border areas, held at a hotel in this
northern province.

The seminar was attended by the governors of eight northern
provinces bordering on Burma and Laos including Chiang Rai,
Chiang Mai, Mae Hong Son, Tak, Nan, Payao, Uttaradit and
Phitsanulok.

Other participants included military and police officers as well
as government officials from the Interior, Agriculture and
Cooperatives, Foreign Affairs and Labour and Social Welfare
ministries.

Gen Charan said the seminar was aimed at assessing the border
situation, setting guidelines for promoting relations with
neighbouring countries and gathering opinions and suggestions for
use in reviewing Thailand's national security policy towards
Burma and Laos.

Gin Charan said Thailand will still focus on cooperating with
Burma to prevent and suppress the availability of narcotics and
chemical substances used to produce illicit drugs along common
border areas.

Furthermore, Thailand will not support minority groups fighting
the military regime in Burma or allow any movements to use the
Kingdom as a springboard to attack Burmese government forces, he
said.

Stern action will be taken against those conspiring with any
groups to cause damage to Thai-Burmese relations, according to
Gen Charan.

As for Laos, Gen Charan said Thailand was ready to render
cooperation and strengthen cultural and social relations with the
country.

Thailand will not support resistance groups in Laos either. The
two countries will help to maintain security along the border, he
said.

Thailand will continue to provide humanitarian assistance to
refugees fleeing fighting in neighbouring countries.

Gen Charan said Burmese troops and Karen guerrillas are still
fighting in border areas straddling Tak, Mae Hong Son and Chiang
Rai provinces.

About 22 refugee camps have been set up along the Thai-Burmese
border but the refugees will be repatriated back home once peace
returns to their areas.

Thailand has already opened five temporary check-points along the
Thai-Burmese border.

BKK POST: FIVE BORDER PASSES OPENED TO ACCOMMODATE THAI-BURMA
          TRADE
BKK post/8.7.95

Chiang Rai

PROVINCIAL authorities have opened five border passes to
accommodate-trade between Thais and Burmese living in border
areas, Governor Kamron Booncherd said in a statement yesterday.

Border crossings had been prohibited since May 16 when fighting
between Rangoon forces and minority groups raged inside Burma.

Since then, Burmese authorities have asked Chiang Rai Province to
open its borders to allow Thais to sell consumer products to the
Burmese, he said.

Mae Sai District's economy had been hit particularly hard by the
border closure, so Chiang Rai decided that the border must be
reopened now that the border situation had improved, Mr Kamron
added.

Five border passes have been reopened since June 29.

They include: Mae Nam Sai Bridge in Mae Sai municipality, Tha Ban
Muang Daeng in Tambon Mae Sai, Tha Ban Pangha in Tambon Koh
Chang, Tha Ban Sailomchoy in Tambon Wiang Phangkham, and Tha Ban
Kohsai in Tambon Mae Sai.

The gates are opened from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. every day.

Only Thai and Burmese nationals, along with their vehicles and
goods, may cross at these points and all must follow the
regulations set out by the Customs Department and the Immigration
Police, Mr Kamron said.

Thais are being advised not to try to reach the Burmese town of
Tachilek unless they have permission from Burmese authorities, he
said.

If they do decide to undertake this journey, they must take full
responsibility for themselves and their goods, he added.

BKK POST: BURMA TROOP DEPLOYMENT AT BORDER INTENDED TO CHECK ON
          THAI TRADERS
BKK Post/8.7.95

Mae Hong Son

THE deployment of Burmese troop reinforcements along the border
is intended to check on Thai businessmen involved in the logging
business with the Karenni National Progress Party (KNPP) and not
to engage members of a rebel party as earlier reported, according
to Thai-Burmese Border Committee chairman Col Pibun Bucha.

A large number of Burmese soldiers have been stationed in many
areas opposite Khun Yuam and Muang districts of this northern
province.

Confrontations between the Burmese army and the KNPP, however,
have drawn the two sides into clashes causing KNPP members living
along the border to flee into Thailand.

Col Pibun said the fighting had subsided, adding Burmese troops
were not sent to engage the KNPP but to keep an eye on the
logging trade between Thai businessmen and KNPP members.

The Burmese government has been informed that some Thai
businessmen have been illegally transporting teak and processed
wood products out of KNPP-dominated areas into Thailand.

The Burmese Government reportedly tried to buy processed wood
products from the KNPP but failed to settle on a price.

The KNPP has preferred to sell the wood to Thai traders because
they can demand higher prices, Col Pibun said.

BKK POST: WIMOL: BURMESE STUDENTS ARE ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS NOT
          REFUGEES
BKK POst/8.7.95

ARMY Commander Gen Wimol Wongwanich yesterday blasted Burmese
students in Thailand, saying though they were illegal immigrants
they still wanted the government to give them refugee status.

We have to understand that the (Burmese) students living in our
country are not refugees but illegal immigrants who have always
caused us trouble, the army commander said.

He said the army was still closely monitoring the students
activities, adding the country's international image had been
greatly discredited by them.

Gen Wimol said it was totally beyond his understanding as to why
Burmese students living in Thailand could still criticise the
government after it had allowed them refuge in the country and
provided them with humanitarian aid.

Maybe they don't realise it is our country which is affording
them help and assistance and that is why they still undertake
protests and cause us trouble, the army commander said.

The army commander urged the local press not to sensationalise
stories about Burmese students residing in the country, adding
some news reports in the papers were misinterpreted and distorted
which had helped create misunderstanding about Thailand.

BKK POST: ETHNIC MON MURDERS LOVER'S HUSBAND
Bkk Post/8.7.95

A FORMER Mon rebel was arrested by police yesterday on a murder
charge.

Police allege that an ethnic Mon, identified as Man Nitayasana,
alias Wiman, 22, killed a co-worker, Suthat In-you, with a sword
following a quarrel over a woman.

He also used the sword to chop off the victim's head.

The incident took place at a construction site in Ramkhamhaeng
Soi 53.

Police said Man and the victim had been living together with
several other construction workers at the site.

Suthat, the victim, was often drunk after work and beat up his
wife who eventually became involved in a love affair with Man.

On Thursday, police said Suthat challenged Man to either fight or
leave the construction site after he had heard abort his wife's
love affair.

The two men became involved in a fierce argument and in a fit of
anger, Suthat spat beer into Man's face.

Man then grabbed a sword from his lodgings and killed Suthat with
one blow.