Dr Sein Win's Speech At Senator McC

Address by Dr. Sein Win, prime minister of the National
Coalition Government of the Union of Burma, at the press
conference held by Senator Mitch McConnell in the Capitol
Building at 2:00pm on July 12, 1995.

//Begin speech//

Senator McConnell, members of the press, honorable guests:

A few months ago, I came to learn of Senator McConnell's plan to
introduce a bill to impose U.S. economic sanctions on Burma. I
gave my word then that, on behalf of the democratically elected
government of Burma, I would give my wholehearted support as
well as that of my government to Senator McConnell's initiative.

I believe this legislation will strengthen the efforts to bring
democracy to the country by my cousin, Nobel Peace Laureate Aung
San Suu Kyi. She was freed on July 10 after almost six years of
unlawful house arrest by the State Law and Order Restoration
Council (SLORC). The SLORC military junta appears to have made
an important concession. However, the restoration of democracy
in Burma will require sustained pressure. We need to continue to
press for economic sanctions until Burma is free and a transfer
of power to civilian rule is realized. I distinctly remember
that Nelson Mandela did not call for the lifting of sanctions on
South Africa until a political settlement was effectuated.

Pressure from the international community was instrumental in
gaining the release Daw Suu and it will also help bring
democracy and human rights to my country.  I am thankful to
Senator McConnell because despite the understanding that there
will be opposition to his effort from certain quarters, he
stands for what is right and what will bring justice to Burma.
There are many who place trade and investment over Burma's
deplorable political, human rights and narcotics record.

We do not take the imposition of sanctions lightly. We
understand sanctions may result in some degree of hardship to
the people. However, the people are already facing the worst
kind of hardship and I am convinced that they will welcome this
initiative. The legislation will strengthen the hand of those
working for democracy in the country and may serve to free them
from the SLORC's repressive and illegitimate military yoke.
Senator McConnell has received messages of support from Burmese
organizations, our ethnic brothers and sisters, and others in
the democratic movement who are working to liberate our country.

Investments provide SLORC with the means to finance a massive
army and intelligence service whose only job is to crush
internal dissent.  Since 1988, it has spent $1.8 billion of the
funds generated from investments to buy weapons from China.  All
foreign investment into Burma goes through SLORC which channels
contracts to the military and its party officials. Unlike other
countries, investment will not serve to create a middle class of
entrepreneurs, only reinforce allegiance to a regime that has
murdered tens of thousands of people whose crime was the desire
for democracy and to live in a free society. SLORC is in
desperate need of foreign currency. Cutting off access to U.S.
funds will be a severe blow to SLORC.

The United States has a very special place in the hearts of my
countrymen. During the massive democracy demonstrations in 1988,
students could be seen marching in Rangoon carrying American
flags and demonstrating in front of the U.S. Embassy.  The
Burmese people  desperately want what Americans have: the
ability to live in peace without fear of government persecution,
respect for human rights, and social justice.  American
democratic principles will always be a symbol for what we can
achieve and I am totally convinced that Senator McConnell's
sanctions bill is an important measure in helping us to achieve
justice, freedom and democracy in Burma.

I urge Senator McConnell's colleagues in the U.S. Senate to join
him as co-sponsor of this important piece of legislation.

//end speech//