Dutch Trade mission update, and que

Subject: Dutch Trade mission update, and questions

Update on the Dutch Trade Mission.

Two new initiatives are in construction:
Director-General U Soe Myint of Energieplanning has been invited to visit
the Netherlands by Dutch Ambassador Wehry (Bangkok). And shortly there will
be a Dutch Myanmar Centre for the Stimulation of Trade: at the
Bezuidenhoutseweg 181, 2594 AH DEN HAAG.
INfO-adres Economic Information Service, Wout Biegstraaten (31)(70)379-7878

The Ministry of Ecomomy in the Netherlands published three articles on Trade
and Myanmar to date that we know of. In december 1994, it called for
companies interested in going on a trade mission. In february it wrote on
the pro's (and not so much the cons) of going, and certifying that
investment-losses will be covered by the Dutch investment insurance bank
(which in its turn is backed up by our Governement).
Then in May there appeared an article with experiences of the trade mission
people: some quotes:

It was the first mission"to a beautiful country with very friendly people
(poor, but well fed and dressed).
First impressions from Yangoon (Rangoon was renamed in the end of the
eighties, Yangon means end of the battle) were positive. Yangon is a clean,
nice city with a reasonable infrastructure. The latter is not so well on the
countryside, nor in Mandalay, the second city."

"The SLORC (ruling since 1989) is economically progressive. Politically more
conservative, it tries to restore unity in the country. Not very simple in a
country with 45 million inhabitants consisting off Burmans, Bengaly, Indian,
Chinese and mountainpeople."

"Ecomomic development is 6% per annum. The people work hard and efficient.
Last year there for the first time was a ricesurplus of 1 million tonnes."

"Future prospect for companies should in the near future not be
overestimated. But Myanmar will be starting a spectacular economic grow. It
will improve when the humanrights record of the country will improve. This
will result in bilateral and multilateral aid."

"Fokker and IHC are old and well known investors. Others are Heineken and
Nutricia (BCN: the Burmans can breakfast on Bambix within some time). Also
the beerbrand Grolsch can be seen here and there (BCN: dammit, dammit,
dammit (I am allowd to say this?) what kind of beer can we drink?!) Also The
ABN AMRO bank opened a branch in Yangon on the 3rd of april. ALso the
agricultural sector is very interesting, since the income of organised
farmers is rising rapidly. (BCN: What do these grow?)"

"The Burmese officials did their best to make the mission a succes. Contacts
with high officials were no prblem. They were very flexible in all respects
(BCN:?). Radio, TV and written media covered the mission everyday, and the
tarde mission people were very satisfied with the info from Myanmar and the
meetings with interestting partners. The mission made a lot of useful
contacts which are interesting also for other companies. (BCN: But that is
not why I'm typing it in.)

I think this article illustrates that economiccaly intersted parties can
outrun concerned groups. I would urge other groups to find out on their
respective countries ecomomic policies(Holland is small and relatively easy
to keep an eye on). The EU groups should discuss strategies, so lets get
together.

Greetings from a hot and humid Amsterdam
Gijs

Oh, any word on the Slorc reshuffle? (I bet nobody can answer this question)

And now for a Heineken beer.
BCN is onafhankelijke stichting. Doel: Nederlandse samenleving informeren
over Burma. Het initieert en co-ordineert aktiviteiten die democratisering
en duurzame ontwikkeling bevorderen. Het geeft een positieve bijdrage aan
een constructieve dialoog tussen de diverse groeperingen.
http://sunsite.unc.edu/freeburma/freeburma.html