Wired News: Suu Kyi urges Japanese

Subject: Wired News:  Suu Kyi urges Japanese caution on aid

    TOKYO, July 14 (Reuter) - Burmese opposition leader Aung Sang Suu Kyi, released from
almost six years of house arrest earlier this week, said on Friday Japan should not hurry to
resume economic aid to Burma, the Kyodo news agency reported.
     She also urged western pressure groups and other Asian governments to react cautiously
towards her surprise release by Burma's military rulers.
     "I wonder why the Japanese government feels a need to hurry about it. I don't think there is
really such a need," Kyodo quoted her as telling reporters outside her residence in
Rangoon.
     "They should wait and see whether there is a genuine move toward reconciliation and a
truly democratic system of government," she said.
     Following Suu Kyi's release on Monday, Japanese Foreign Minister Yohei Kono said
Japan wanted to assist Burma as it moved towards democracy, and that it was willing to
discuss yen loan projects when the Burmese government was ready.
     Japan stopped extending yen loans to Burma after the military suppression of a
pro-democracy uprising in 1988, killing and imprisoning thousands of people.
     Suu Kyi was put under arrest in July 1989 for "endangering the state" by speaking out
against the military.
     On Friday she urged Western pressure groups to await developments in Burma before
changing their tactics.
     "All those who are interested in democratic development in Burma should wait and see
what is going to happen before they decide to change their tactics," Kyodo quoted her as
saying.
     "Nothing has changed yet, apart from my release," she said.
     She cautioned leaders of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) against
reacting too quickly to changes inside Burma, Kyodo said.
     "I would ask them to support the cause of democracy," she said. "I think they should go on
observing the situation very closely and accept that we are nowhere near democracy yet."
  REUTER