Demonstration of Burmese students i

Subject: Demonstration of Burmese students in front of the Japanese embassy in Bangkok

Demonstration of the ABBESU against Japanese ODA to the Slorc
17/7/95

11 Burmese students from the ABBESU (All Burma Basic Education
Student Union-Thailand) held a peaceful demonstration, against
"the Japanese ODA resumption to Burma," at the front of the
Japanese embassy in Bangkok today at 3:15 PM.

They held the fighting peacock flag and the slogan banners. Then
they bowed the fighting peacock flag, all martyrs of Burma during
the independence and democratic struggle who sacrificed their
lives for the cause.

Soe Min of ABBESU read the ABBESU statement in English. Then,
Maung Pain handed the ABBESU open letter to the official of the
Japanese embassy regarding the Japanese policy of ODA resumption
to the Slorc.

They silently display their slogans posters for 10 minutes. No
body was arrested by Thai police at the time of this information
received.

Their slogans were;
"ODA" We don't want now. We can not pay back later.
"ODA" We don't need no material.
      We don't need no money.
      We need democracy.
"ODA" The debt for the new generation.
"ODA" destruct the environment.
"ODA" Aid for oppression.
      Aid for destruction.
      Aid for Anti-rights.

They dispersed at 3:45 P.M.

The Statement is as follow:

                            ABBESU
                ALL BURMA BASIC EDUCATION STUDENTS' UNION
                             (THAILAND)

               STATEMENT ON THE JAPANESE AID TO THE SLORC

                                                      Date. July 17, 1995

We, ABBESU (All Burma Basic Education Students' Union_"Thailand") believe that
although the Japanese government sincerely assists with humanitarian aid to
the people of Burma, the Slorc military regime could use that aid for their
own interests to continue their military rule.

Our people had lost their basic rights during the colonial period. Burma
regained her independence in 1948, but our people have had a taste of freedom
only a short time because the military took power since 1962.

At the present situation, even though Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, the Nobel Peace
laureate, was released from six years house arrest, Min Ko Naing, a prominent
student leader, and all political prisoners have been detained and tortured.
The entire people of Burma  have been suffering the poverty of the country's
economic declination.

According to the above mentioned facts, it is very clear that the Slorc is
still ignoring the real interests of the people.

Therefore, we call on the Japanese government to cooperate with us:

1. To postpone the aid to Burma under the military rule.

2. To assist the aid when the civilian government elected by the people is
formed.

                                                        Central Committee
                                                        ABBESU