burmanet July 21,1995 #225

------------------------- BurmaNet ---------------------------
"Appropriate Information Technologies, Practical Strategies"
The BurmaNet News: 21st  JULY 1995
Issue #225

Noted in Passing:
``It must not be forgotten that national traitors from
within the country will continue to conspire with foreign
elements to enforce an economic blockade without any regard to
the welfare of the 45 million Myanma masses."
     - article in New Light of Myanmar,
     (quoted in Reuter: Aung San Suu Kyi's Picture)

Contents:
BURMANET: INTERVIEW WITH DAW AUNG SAN SUU KYI
ABSDF: FORCED CONTRIBUTION IN KAYAH STATE
AFL-CIO: LETTER TO AUNG SAN SUU KYI
NATION: SUU KYI SPEAKS AGAINST RISING COST OF LIVING
NATION: LETTER - ON THAKSIN'S COMMENTS
BKK POST: BURMESE ECONOMIC GROWTH PUT AT 6.8%
BKK POST: CULTIVATE CONTACTS, FORGET MBAS IN STREET-WISE
BURMESE BUSINESS
REUTER:  AUNG SAN SUU KYI'S PICTURE IN BURMESE PAPERS
BKK POST: SUU KYI'S VISIT TO MARTYRS' MEMORIAL PASSES
PEACEFULLY

                             o-------------------------------o
The BurmaNet News is an      |                               |
electronic newspaper         |                  Iti          |
covering Burma.  Articles    |                 snotpo        |
from newspapers, magazines,  |             werthatcor        |
newsletters, the wire        |            ruptsbutfea        |
services and the Internet as |           r.Fearoflos         |
well as original material    |          ingpowercor          |
are published.               |       ruptsthosewhoare        |
The BurmaNet News  is        |     subjecttoit...Theef       |
e-mailed  directly to        |     fortnecessarytoremain     |
subscribers  and  is         |   uncorruptedinanenvironm     |
also  distributed via        |  entwherefearisanintegralpar  |
the soc.culture.burma        |   tofeverydayexistenceisnoti  |
and seasia-l mailing         |     mmediatelyapparentto      |
lists and is also            |       thosefortunate          |
available via the            |       enoughtolivein          |
reg.burma conference on      |        statesgovern           |
the APC networks.  For a     |         edbytherule           |
free subscription to         |         oflaw...fear          |
the BurmaNet News, send      |          is ahab  it.         |
an e-mail message to:        |                 Iam           |
                             |                   no          |
 majordomo@xxxxxxxxxxx       |                  taf          |
                             |                   ra          |
In the body of the message,  |                  id.          |
type "subscribe burmanet-l"  |                  Aun          |
(without quotation marks)    |                  gSa          |
                             |                  nS           |
Letters  to  the  editor,    |                   uu          |
comments or contributions    |                   Ky          |
of articles should be        |                   i.          |
sent to the editor at:       o-------------------------------o
                strider@xxxxxxxxxxx

In Washington:

  Attention to BurmaNet
   c/o National Coalition Government of the Union of Burma
  (NCGUB)
  Information Office
  815 15th Street NW, Suite 609
  Washington D.C. 20005
  Tel: (202) 393-7342, Fax: (202) 393-7343

In Bangkok:
  Attention to BurmaNet
  c/o Burma Issues
  PO Box 1076, Silom Post Office
  Bangkok 10500 Thailand
  Tel: (066) (02) 234-6674, Fax: (066) (02) 631 0133

The NCGUB is a government-in-exile, formed by representatives
of the people that won the election in 1990.

Burma Issues is a Bangkok-based non-governmental organization
that documents human rights conditions in Burma and maintains
an archive of Burma-related documents. Views expressed in The
BurmaNet News do not necessarily reflect those of either NCGUB
or Burma Issues.

BURMANET: INTERVIEW WITH DAW AUNG SAN SUU KYI
July 18, 1995      C. Fink

(These comments and observations come from a private 15 minute
interview in Daw Aung San Suu Kyi's house on the afternoon of
July 18th.  Like all other foreign journalists who have
interviewed her, I was photographed and videotaped by the
"guards" who were on duty at the gate.  Aung San Suu Kyi has held
two press conferences and many private interviews with
journalists in the days since her release.  Every day she also
meets with representatives of various embassies, NLD party
members, and other close friends. At 3pm every afternoon, she
climbs up a step-ladder inside her gate to give a ten minute
speech in Burmese to Burmese citizens who have come to see her.
The crowd, which numbers several hundred each day, respond with
delight to her jokes and willingly agree to her pleas for both
support and restraint.)

     Despite her busy morning of meetings with NLD party members,
Daw Aung San Suu Kyi looked vibrant and full of energy when she
met with me at 1:30 this afternoon.  The fresh flower clipped
into her neat bun suggested her unfailing optimism, although the
political dilemmas she is facing would dishearten virtually
anyone else in her position.  The SLORC has not made any further
moves to release political prisoners nor have they lifted
regulations on political activities or relaxed censorship.  While
many observers have commented on her frequently stated
willingness to negotiate with the SLORC on almost any issue, her
demeanor and many of her comments indicate that she will not rest
until democracy is restored.
     In talking about her future political activities, she
insisted that she would not do anything clandestinely.  She
believes in honesty and openness and expects the same from the
SLORC.  She commented, with a laugh, that SLORC officials used to
lie to her, but she told them "you must stop, because you are
committing a sin and I don't believe you, so you don't get
anything out of it."  Now, she says, they are more truthful with
her, and she sees this as a very positive first step.
     Nevertheless, she has informed SLORC officials that she will
be having foreign embassy staff checking her house for bugs, so
the SLORC better quickly remove any they have planted.  The
person she talked to insisted that SLORC had not done anything of the sort,
 but she said that she was just warning them so that they would not be
embarrassed later.
     Moreover, she told the officials that if they put her in
Insein Prison, they could do whatever they wanted to her, but as
long as she was in her own house, she would do whatever she
wanted.  She added, "I ask them questions, not the other way
around.  I am not afraid of them."
     Nevertheless, she is clearly being cautious.  She has only
left her house for a few private visits and has not even been
downtown yet.  She noted that others had told her of the many
highrises that are being built downtown, and she hoped that
"Rangoon does not become like Bangkok."
     She went on to discuss the criticism U Aung Shwe received
for expelling her from the NLD before the 1990 election.  She
said that she felt very sorry that others had blamed him, because
he had done exactly what he had to do. "If he had not kept the
party going, I would not have had any organization to come back
to."
     As for the Burmese students abroad, she urged them not to
come home yet.  She said that she knows how anxious they must be
to return home and live in peace, but nothing in Burma has
changed yet.  They must continue their work abroad, but they must
also be patient.  They should not set their expectations too
high, for "the road ahead is still a long one."  They must
neither do anything extreme nor "put their feet up" and wait for
democracy to happen.  More specifically, she suggested that they
improve their fluency in English, as fluency in English is
essential in today's world, and they should also read more
serious books.
     She asked the ethnic groups to congratulate the SLORC for
releasing her, but to make it clear that this is only the first
step.  They should adopt a position of "cautious optimism".  She
reiterated her appeal for all groups to put aside their
differences for the time being and to work together for the
restoration of democracy.  They must all be united if democracy
is to be achieved.
     When asked where she found her energy and determination, she
replied that her father was her main inspiration.  Her father,
she said, had worked tirelessly for the people and never for
himself.  She believes that as his daughter, she can and must
live up to his example.  With so many people putting their trust
in her, she feels that she cannot let them down, and that
encourages her to work even harder.  Others, she noted, have
suffered much more than her, having had to spend years in jail
and experience many forms of torture.  She clearly feels a
responsibility to these people and all others to continue to work
fearlessly for true peace and democracy.
     Daw Aung San Suu Kyi has the intelligence, integrity, and
political savvy necessary to lead and unite the country.
Whether she will ever have a chance is another question.  The
fact that the SLORC has still made no official announcement
concerning her release is cause for alarm.  Most local residents
remain wary, convinced that the SLORC is up to no good.  The
constant presence of plainclothed military intelligence staff
photographing those who show up at Aung San Suu Kyi's gate has
scared many supporters away.  Some fear a crackdown after all the
journalists leave.  No one believes that the SLORC will willingly
let her assume a top leadership position.  The inscrutability of
SLORC policy remains a critical problem.  Just as no one
predicted her release, no one knows what the SLORC intends to do
next.  In the meantime, Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and other opposition
members will resume their political work, operating under the
conviction that one day democracy will be theirs.

 ABSDF: FORCED CONTRIBUTION IN KAYAH STATE
  July 20, 1995     Press Release

                   Forced contribution in Kayah State
                   ----------------------------------

Burma's ruling military junta, the Slorc has planned to hold a
big student sports Carnival in Kayah State in November. In
preparation for this occasion, the local Slorc officials are
forcing the local people to contribute towards the cost of the
construction work. Each student from middle school must pay 200
Kyats, for high school students 500 Kyats each, and from each
ordinary family 200 Kyats. Some families have to pay even more
money as their forced contribution.

The local officials also collect forced donations of motorbikes,
trucks and even bicycles from their owners. The owner of saw
mills are being forced to cut the necessary timber for
constructions for the sports festival.

The roads in Loikaw are being widened by 25 feet and some
monasteries and houses have had to be destroyed for the road
widening.
( Photos of a monastery and houses damaged by the road widening
in Loikaw available from ABSDF Information Dept.)

              The politicians are rubbish, said Khin Nyunt

According to a reliable source inside Burma, On July 11, a day
after the release of Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, the military junta's
intelligence chief, Lt Gen Khin Nyunt, invited the ceased-fire
ethnic leaders to Rangoon, he then made an attempt to woo them
saying "it is better if we militarymen can work together but if
the politicians were involved, things will become complicated and
difficult. Let us unite against them (pro-democratic forces)".

The meeting was attended by a number of ethnic leaders, including
UWSA leaders, namely, Gyo Nyi liang, Pao Yo Chan and Gyo Bontan.

                            By friend or foe?
                           ------------------

Tin Huan Min, the commander of No.(525) regiment of UWSA (United
Wa State Army) which made a cease-fire agreement with Slorc in
1989 went to Kunming in Yunnan state of China. He disappeared on
May 20, 1995, for unknown reasons. U Win Ko, a Minister of NCGUB
(National Coalition Government of Union Of Burma), mysteriously
disappeared while in Kunming in 1993.

Voice of the Peacock
ABSDF

   ( For more information please contact: Zaw Min_ joint-Secretary of
     Foreign Affairs Department of the ABSDF (Chairman Moe Thee Zun))
 **********

AFL-CIO: LETTER TO AUNG SAN SUU KYI
July 19, 1995

American Federation of Labor and Congress of Industrial Organizations

                              July 19, 1995
Aung San Suu Kyi
54 University Avenue
Rangoon, Burma

Dear Daw Aung San Suu Kyi:

          On behalf of the 14 million members of the AFL-CIO, I join with the world's
democratic leaders in hailing your unconditional release. Your strength of spirit
throughout the long years of your confinement provided hope and inspiration to all
those who struggle for freedom.

          American workers share your hope that this gesture represents a first step
toward the restoration of democracy in Burma. We support your call for national
reconciliation, tbe release of all political prisoners, and a peaceful political
transition.

          As the experience of countries as diverse as South Africa, Chile and the
Philippines demonstrate, a successful democratic transition will require the active
participation of workers. Thus, we deeply deplore the fact that Burma's military
junta has yet to end its brutal repression of Burma's workers and of their human and
labor rights. Particularly disturbing is the government's continued enslavement of
men, women and children through tbe use of forced labor, including conscript work
gangs, forced portering for the military, and "volunteer" labor used in infrastructure
projects for the benefit of foreign investors.

          We believe, with you, that it is democracy and civil society - not economic
opportunism - which will ensure a better future for the citizens of Burma. Therefore,
until the rights of Burrna's workers are respected, the AFL-CIO will continue to
support full international trade and investment sanctions.

          We wish you great success in achieving peaceful political dialogue with all
groups in Burma.  For our part, we pledge to continue our support for the Federation
of Trade Unions of Burma (FTUB) and their efforts on behalf of democratization.

                    Sincerely and fraternally,

                    Lane Kirkland
                    President

NATION: SUU KYI SPEAKS AGAINST RISING COST OF LIVING FOR
BURMESE
July 20, 1995       United Press International

RANGOON _ Burmese democracy campaigner Aung San Suu Kyi expressed
sympathy on Tuesday for the economic burden suffered by her
people under the country's military dictatorship.

In a thinly veiled criticism of the ruling State Law and Order
Restoration Council, Suu Kyi alluded to rising prices for rice
and other commodities.

"Are you eating regularly?" she asked in a speech to about 600
supporters gather in front of her Rangoon home. "You know the
meaning of my question."

When listeners shouted "No" she replied, "Mutual trust is weak in
this country. If you want to eat regularly you must have mutual
trust and be united.

In the past month the market price of Burmese rice has risen more
than 10 per cent, while the gap between rich and poor has widened
steadily.

Economic hardship was a crucial factor in the lead-up to
nationwide anti-government demonstrations in 1988. The
demonstration led to the birth of Burma's pro-democracy movement,
led by Suu Kyi, the Oxford-educated daughter of Burma's
independence hero, Gen Aung San.

The movement was crushed when troops shot hundred of
demonstrators, put Suu Kyi under house arrest and ignored the
result of an election won by Suu Kyi political party, the
National League for Democracy.

Her release on July 10 breathed new life into Burma's democracy
movement .

Local analysts said Suu Kyi's subtle criticism of the country's
economic condition hit at the heart of the Slorc, which has
staked its legitimacy on the economic gains of the past six
years.

She reportedly yesterday requested help from the US Embassy in
removing listening devices allegedly planted by government agents
in her house.

Suu Kyi was also reported to have conveyed her advice to
thousands of Burmese student exiles that the time had not yet
arrived when they could return home safely.

She reiterated her appeal for all democratic elements to put
aside their differences for the struggles ahead.

"When we reach our goal you can criticize me, because criticism
is a democratic right," she said.

NATION: LETTER - ON THAKSIN'S COMMENTS
July 20, 1995

People from all over the world are applauding and rejoicing at
the news that Daw Aung San Suu Kyi has finally been released
unconditionally by Slorc after nearly six years under house
arrest. I couldn't believe the first remark made  by Khun Thaksin
Shinawatra, palang Dharma's leader, after Suu Kyi's release.

He suggested that the Thai Government should immediately send an
official delegation to Burma to help Thai businessmen, in order
to take advantage of investment opportunities.

This is by far the most flawed approach to restore the strained
relation between Thailand and Burma. I do not know whether Khun
Thaksin was speaking as an individual or on behalf of the
government when he made the suggestion.

Moreover, he mentioned that only an official delegation from the
Thai government is needed because that will prevent shady Thai
businessmen who may other wise give a bad name to Thailand. I do
not see the difference between Thai government-backed businessmen
and other so called shady businessmen referred to by Khun
Thaksin.

To me the difference between the two is that the government
backed businessmen's companies are monopolistic, conglomerate and
highly influenced with strong ties with the government, whereas
the so-called shady businessmen are small time operators who have
little or no influence and power with people in the government.

No matter how hard the Thai government is trying to appease the
Slorc regime, it is going nowhere because even the regime
understands well that Thailand is always acting in its self-
interest only.

Burmese people are not stupid and ignorant about how Thailand has
behaved in recent years towards the ethnic people, exile Burmese
students and their supporters. If everyone in the Thai government
is trying to find out how they should improve bilateral relations
with Burma, then they should start with genuine sincerity and
openness. That is why I think it is suicidal that the new
government plunge into Burma for investment opportunities, right
after the release of Daw Aung San Suu Kyi.

Than Lwin
Bangkok
*************

BKK POST: BURMESE ECONOMIC GROWTH PUT AT 6.8%
JULY 18, 1995 (Business Section)

Burma recorded 6.8% growth in gross domestic product [GDP] in the
year to March and expected 7.7% growth in fiscal 1995-96,
according to government figures seen yesterday.

Expansion of investment and increased foreign exchange earnings,
"mainly as a result of export promotion and inflows of foreign
investment," were factors, the national planning and economic
development ministry said.

The ministry estimated Burma's population at 43.92 million, up
1.87% over last year.

The report compared this year's figures to 5.9% GDP growth
recorded in 1993-94 and 9.7% in 1992-93 .

It cited " remarkable progress of the agricultural sector," which
grew by 7.2%  due to the cultivation of more land, an adequate
water supply, greater mechanisation, better farming practices and
the use of quality seeds.

The livestock and fishery industries grew by 4.6%, while the
forestry sector contracted by 14% "due to strict adherence to
specifications of timber extraction" and partly due to a
government-ordered reduction in logging by private companies.

Mining grew 12.6%, processing and manufacturing 8.9% power 2.1%,
construction 9.7%, transport 5.1%, communications 5.2% and trade
7.4%.

Total investment during the year reached 35,688 million kyats, an
increase of 11,120 million kyats over the previous year.

The official exchange rate is about six kyats to the dollar, but
the Burmese currency trades at about 100-to -120 kyats to the
dollar on the black market.

"Under the Foreign Investment Law, 113 enterprises have been
permitted with a total investment of 1,692 million kyats,
inclusive of 1,370 million kyats in foreign exchange in 1994-95,"
the reports said.

BKK POST:CULTIVATE CONTACTS, FORGET MBAS IN STREET-WISE
     BURMESE BUSINESS
July 18, 1995

Foreign businesses operating in Burma used to have a slight
problem with insurance.

They are required to take out policies with the state owned
Myanmar Insurance for fire, accident and the like, but legally
can only do so in the unstable local currency, which even many
Burmese now try to avoid.

One pioneer saw an opportunity. He started collecting premiums
and distributing claims in foreign currency for policies written
under the name of the state-owned enterprise but backed by
reinsures abroad.

Myanma Insurance get a 5% commission and the insurance man gets
exclusivity. Many of the country's foreign investors are now his
customers and in addition to making a tidy sum, he is perfectly
positioned for when Burma liberalises its insurance law in some
year's time.

The scheme is not legal. But it is entirely tolerated, as are
several other quasi-legitimate schemes designed in an ad hoc
manner to make foreign investment workable in this country
desperate for hard currency.

Everything from courier services to multi-million dollar
countertrade operations that make importing, exporting and
foreign investment possible, function in a grey area that the
military government actively encourages.

It is almost impossible to do business by the book here, says Tin
Aye, one of the country's top commercial lawyers. That is not
necessarily because of corruption but because there is no system
in place to regulate everything that people want to do and that
the government wants them to do .

But in the meantime the government is forced to do things
piecemeal. "We understand that a lot of people think our system
here is still a bit murky, " admits Set Maung, a senior economic
adviser to the military junta. But that doesn't mean there is no
mechanism for handling foreign investment . There is .

Each government ministry has priority areas for foreign
investment and will seriously consider any feasible proposal.

The US embassy says procedures within the Myanmar Investment
Commission, the last stage of approval for foreign investment,
have been streamlined. The new hotels springing up in Rangoon,
Mandalay and pagan, improved telecommunications, and 6.4%
economic growth in 1994 all are signs that business can indeed be
done, even if the 29 foreign banks with representative offices in
the country still have their hands tied.

This is not like Vietnam, says Pat James of Eagle Business
Development, a mini-conglomerate built around a successful
consulting agency. The government here is serious about moving
projects forward. Even if things are not legal, they are backed
up by open statements from the government saying certain things
are OK.

Imagine everything that it takes to support an economy and that
is how many little niches are available here, Mr James adds. You
just need to be far-sighted.

And cultivate contacts in the military. According to Mr James,
Tin Aye and others, few business ventures will get very far
without some unofficial sponsorship from a senior military
officer.

One common way to get in with the generals is to go through one
of the many consulting and trading companies that boast of good
contacts.

Others take a more espionage-like approach.

"I had been getting nowhere for about six months and was
desperate, thinking of moving on," says one western
entrepreneur." I had heard that the daughter of General Ne Win
had some interest in the new Narawat Concorde Hotel. So I just
started hanging around the bar and passing out a business card
with a Singapore address. Six weeks later, I was in business."

A foreign distributor of medical supplies, puts it another to be
done here, but you have to be street-smart," he says. " Leave
your Harvard MBAs and Peter Drucker books at home. They're
useless here."

*************

REUTER:  AUNG SAN SUU KYI'S PICTURE IN BURMESE PAPERS
July 20, 1995

      RANGOON, July 20 (Reuter) - Democracy leader Aung San Suu
Kyi's picture appeared for the first time since her release from
house arrest in state-run Burmese newspapers on Thursday.
      A picture of her participating in an official Martyrs' Day
ceremony on Wednesday was on the front page of all state-run
Burmese-language and English-language newspapers.
      The picture and caption, which mentioned her by name, marked
the first time she had been named in state-run newspapers since
being released from six years of house arrest last week.
      On Wednesday night, pictures of Aung San Suu Kyi at the
Martyrs' Day ceremony were shown on official television
stations, ending nine days of a domestic news blackout following
her release on July 10.
      Martyrs' Day commemorates the 1947 assassination of her
father, General Aung San, the country's pre-independence leader,
who was killed with eight others as they prepared for the
handover of power from colonial ruler Britian.
      Thursday's state newspapers, considered organs of the ruling
State Law and Order Restoration Council (SLORC), also published
an article denouncing ``traitors'' who worked to create economic
crisis in Burma.
      ``Myanmar (Burma) is now embarked on the way to economic
development,'' said the article published in the New Light of
Myanmar and the other two official papers.
      ``But it must not be forgotten that national traitors from
within the country will continue to conspire with foreign
elements to enforce an economic blockade without any regard to
the welfare of the 45 million Myanma masses.
      ``They will continue to strive to create economic crisis for
Myanmar in their own interests and in order that they should
gain political power.''
      Aung San Suu Kyi was not named in the article but she has
urged foreign business executives and governments to consider
political circumstances in her country very carefully before
rushing in with investment and aid.
      Many countries have withheld financial aid and assistance
from Burma since 1988, when the military crushed pro-democracy
demonstrations and killed or imprisoned thousands.
      Some governments like Japan have indicated they might resume
aid following Aung San Suu Kyi's release.
      Aung San Suu Kyi has responded by urging caution, and asking
foreign governments to wait and see what changes occur before
making such decisions.
      ``I would ask them to wait and see if there are any real
changes,'' she told a news conference. ``I wonder why the
Japanese government feels a need to hurry. I think all
governments should wait to see what is going to happen.''
********

BKK POST: SUU KYI'S VISIT TO MARTYRS' MEMORIAL PASSES
PEACEFULLY
July 20, 1995

by Sombat Raksakul
Rangoon

BURMESE pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi made a quiet
appearance at yesterday's Martyrs' Day ceremony in memory of her
father and other who died 48 years ago fighting for Burma's
independence.

Wearing a black shawl over a cream-coloured blouse, and a black
longyi, Mrs Suu Kyi spent about 10 minutes at the Martyrs'
Mausoleum, located at the foot of the Shwedagon Pagoda, the
predominantly Buddhist country's most revered place of worship.

Around 8.50 a.m she placed two baskets of flowers _ deft
arrangements of white and purple orchids _ and wreath and
observed a moment's silence there.

The daughter of General Aung San paid her respects to the
independence heroes shortly after Burma's Culture Minister
Brigadier Thaung Myint led what was a day-long event.

Other relatives of those who were gunned down with Gen Aung San
on July 19, 1947 during an Executive Council meeting paid their
respects at the mausoleum after Mrs Suu Kyi left. The relatives
included six councillors, a senior civil servant and a young
aide.

Diplomats accredited to Rangoon, including those of the
Philippines, China, France and Japan, subsequently took their
turns, Representatives of United Nations agencies also took part.

Security was tight, with traffic barriers put up at points within
two kilometres of the mausoleum.

Rangoon's leading generals attended a separate ceremony at City
Hall.

>From the mausoleum, Mrs Suu Kyi, who was released on July 10
after being held under house arrest for nearly six years, went
back to her home, at 54, University Avenue.

There the crowd was larger than has been customary over the past
several days, possibly because Martyrs' Day is a national
holiday.

Possibly because more people were there _ about 500, compared
with the usual, estimated 300 who have been coming almost daily
since her surprise release _ Mrs Suu Kyi came to the gates twice
to talk with them briefly.

These gate-side conversations took place in the morning and
afternoon. On earlier days, she came at mid-afternoon only, a
numbers of times when it was raining.

"She said she would work for our country, and asked us to bear
with the way she does so," a Burmese in the crowd said yesterday.

According to a schedule previously made known, Mrs Suu Kyi gave
cameramen a photo opportunity around 3 p.m.

It was only an opportunity for photographers as she declined to
answer questions from reporters while she walked around her house
in friendly chat.

Mrs Suu Kyi, 50, was taken under house arrest on July 20, 1989
for endangering the security of the state".

Her release 10 days ago remains unreported by Burma's official
media. Many people learned of the news through Burmese language
services of the Voice of America and the British Broadcasting
Corp and passed it on by word of mouth.

The National League for Democracy of which she was secretary-
general won 81% of the parliamentary seats on offer in general
elections in May 1990.

She has stressed the need for a non-confrontational approach
toward democracy, through dialogue with Burma's military rulers.

Mrs Suu Kyi won the Nobel Peace Prize in December 1991, about a
year after she was awarded the Rafto Prize from Norway's second
largest city of Bergen, for her pro-democracy work.