AN INTERVIEW WITH U TIN MAUNG WIN

      AN INTERVIEW WITH U TIN MAUNG WIN(CRDB), VICE CHAIRMAN OF DAB
            & A MEMBER OF POLITICAL LEADING COMMITTEE OF NCUB

What is your stand on Daw Aung San Suu Kyi's release? Do you
think the Slorc will allow her to be politically active again?

Daw Aung San Suu Kyi's release spells a force for us and the
country. It is for Slorc to let her engage in politics freely if
they are shrewd enough. If she is given a free hand she will do
her best for the people. As the army is part of the people, it
would serve the best interest of the army also. This will carn
the respect and appreciation of the people.

When do you think a Suu Kyi-Slorc dialogue will begin?

It has been only ten days since Daw Aung San Suu Kyi had been
released. There were numerous political changes in the domestic
and international politics during her six years in detention.
Listening to VOA and BBC does not give the complete picture.
Therefore, Daw Suu should be given time. Likewise, the Slorc
should be given time also. Personally, I don't think both sides
should rush into thins. Both parties need fundamental
preparations. This takes time.

Do you think military is sincere in releasing Suu Kyi after
having earlier stated that she would not be freed when her
detention period?

It is obvious that Slorc has so many reasons behind this move
like mounting international pressure such as impending US trade
and diplomatic sanctions, problems in Slorc's National
Convention, the up-coming Asean meeting, 1996 Visit Myanmar Year,
inviting foreign investment and lastly an internal power struggle
within the military itself. Although it is an admirable gesture.
I personally don't want to give Slorc credit for this move
because of their previous records of reneging on their promise.

Do you think there is any security threat to the life of Suu Kyi
now that she is free to travel anywhere in the country?

Everybody's greatly concerned about her personal security. At
this moment, what I believe is that Slorc is also afraid that
something could happen to her. The people are very excited right
now. I don't want to see them getting carried away with this new
found freedom for her. Close aides need to give her constructive
and positive advice. We all must be very careful not to
jeopardise her strategy. And it's also important not to force the
other side into a corner. If we keep that in mind her personal
security would be assured.

Do you think there could be a repeat of the popular 1988
Democracy Uprising if Suu Kyi is rearrested?

It is possible. We all should avoid another bloodshed. I believe
Daw Aung San Suu Kyi will do her very best this doesn't happen.
It also depend on Slorc. Thirty-three years of military rule has
shown that it has no retard or respect for domestic or
international pinions. It's about time for them to be genuine in
their gestures, and avoid further publicity stunts. Another
danger is the ever widening between the have and havenots. This
situation should be addressed immediately if another Eight-Eight-
Eight-eight is to be avoided.

NCUB has proposed a tri-parties meeting. What is your view?

I am Vice Chairman of DAB [Democratic Alliance of Burma]. Also, I
am a member of the political Leading Committee of NCUB [National
Council of the Union of Burma]. Therefore, I support their
proposal. This should be the case also. Daw Suu has mentioned
about taking into account the consensus of all parties to discuss
the next move to achieve national reconciliation.

Is it necessary for the NCGUB to participate in the tri-paries
talks after the release of Suu Kyi?

NCGUB is made up of elected NLD members, therefore they do not
question the leadership of Daw Suu. I am sure after holding
discussions with her they would accept Daw Suu's decision whether
they need to take part in the tri-parties meeting.

The majority of DAB members have signed ceasefire agreements with
the Slorc. Can DAB stand on its own?

It must he admitted that DAB as well as NDF [National Democratic
Front] have been weakened since 1993. DAB is supported on Three
Pillars. The first consists of groups from inside Burma like the
ABSDF [All Burma Students' Democratic Front], DPNS [Democratic
Party For New Society] and the ABYMU [All Burma Young Monks
Union]. The second is made up of expatriate organisations. The
third include armed ethnic organisations. The objectives of these
groups is to gain democracy and human rights, autonomy, self-
determination and equality in a new federal union. These are what
DAB wants. So in reality the ideals of DAB is very much in
existence.

How many members are still with the DAB, and how do they view
their former allies who have made peace with Slorc?

There are still 19 members, including the KNU, remaining in the
Alliance. The ceasefire by the armed ethnic groups with the Slorc
are based on circumstances. However, it is best if there is a
unified stand. There are still other ethnic groups who have yet
to sign peace pacts with Slorc. Anyhow DAB understands the
position of the groups which have peace with the military regime.
DAB knows that they are genuinely sincere in their pursuit to
obtain national reconciliation.

There are rumours the DAB is to disbanded. Is this true?

No. We still have objectives to achieve. One of them is to
enhance the future role of the NCUB. Ups and downs are natural in
politics. A CEC meeting will soon be held to reassess the
situation. DAB is an historical organisation that should not be
undermined.

General Bo Mya is the chairman of DAB and President of the KNU.
What happens if KNU decides to enter into a ceasefire agreement
with the Slorc?

Everybody knows these ceasefire won't last. It's just that the
sound of gunfire at the border areas have been silenced
temporarily. The KNPP [Karenni] is a good example. What we need
is a permanent nationalwide ceasefire. Should the KNU decide to
go ahead, it would only mean their decision could be considered
as a tactical change in its strategy to gain national
reconciliation.

How does DAB view Suu Kyi?

Frankly, it is our sincere belief that Daw Suu is the only person
who convene the Second Panlong Conference. We must stand firmly
by her. She has tremendous support, not only inside Burma, but
also of the international community. Therefore, it is the time
for all democratic organisations to concentrate on national
interest only. She has the key to the door leading to lasting
peace.

What roles should the Burma Army play, and what are your views on
power-sharing?

The army has many things to do in the country. What should be
released is had the army about its duties as expected of any
military, the situation in Burma would not have deteriorate to
where it is today. It is imperative the generals be brave enough
to admit their mistakes. Burmese of their follies three
generations of Burmese have lost their identities. It is
important Slorc should not make the same mistakes in the future.
To avoid such a repetition Slorc must learn to accept the
sovereignty derived from the people and take up the opportunity
now available and hold a sincere dialogue with Daw Suu. This is
of utmost necessity.

As generally known, the US is preparing to impose sanctions on
Burma. Now that Suu Kyi has been released, do you think the US
should go ahead with as planned?

We have all along been saying that the time is not yet suitable
for foreigners to invest on Burma or to resume aid to that
country. Now, Daw Suu has told them not to rush in with their
investments. Therefore, I say it would be the biggest mistake
they ever make if they are to exploit the release of Daw Suu as
an excuse to do business in Burma.

There have been rumours that of a split in the military. News
from Rangoon has it that the military was of two minds concerning
the release of Suu Kyi. Do you know anything about this?

We need to know what is rumours and what is wishful thinking.
This is important. Sometimes rumours are created by the military
intelligence itself. We should not be so gullible as to believe
whatever we hear, or want to hear which leads to wishful
thinking. Power struggle had existed in the military since the
1962 coup. The military has always been plagued by U Ne Win's
divide and rule policy. Slorc is no exception. It is true that
the military was divided over Daw Suu's release. Intelligence
chief Lt Gen Khin Nyunt and Chairman senior Gen Than Shwe were
said to be on favour of releasing her, while the other top
military brass were against it. However, don't be fooled by them.
There is no such thing like hardliner or softliner within Slorc.
All of them are hardliners. With them only the issues count.

Is there any chance of you returning to Burma after being away
for 25 years, now that Suu Kyi released and the Slorc excluding
confidence of its grip on the reins of the country?

On the surface it seems Slorc have a firm grip. This is not true.
If it were the case they would have released Daw Suu a long time
ago. Nobody realises that they are sitting on an active volcano
that's is about to erupt anytime. Of course I would like to
return to Burma. However, I have decided not to just now. I will
only after full democracy has been restored. I have been opposing
the military regime since 1962, and I will continue to do so
until the aspirations of the Burmese people and that of my father
who died fighting for democracy 25 years ago are realised.