KHRG Report 95-22

SLORC ORDERS TO VILLAGES:  SET 95-E
EXTORTION, THREATS, & CENSORSHIP

An Independent Report by the Karen Human Rights Group
July 2, 1995 / KHRG #95-22

Following are the direct translations of SLORC written orders
sent to Karen villages in areas south of Kawkareik (central Karen
State) and east of Thanbyuzayat (in southern Karen State).  Most
of the orders were handwritten, except the anti-KYO orders, which
were typed.  All of them were signed by SLORC officers, and most
are stamped with the rubber stamp of their units.  Photocopies
of the original orders are available on request.  Most of them
relate to extortion of money from villagers, threats to arrest
village leaders or destroy villages, and SLORC's attempts to block
the formation of Karen youth groups in the villages.  Most of
these orders were issued in the latter half of 1994, but virtually
identical orders are still being constantly issued to the same
villages; however, the most recent orders are normally kept on
file by village leaders and are therefore not available as yet.

Many of the orders mention "servants' fees" (porter fees), "sentry
fees", "video fees", etc.  These are fees which villagers must
constantly pay to local SLORC units.  These fees do not make the
villagers exempt from forced labour as porters or sentries; they
are just excuses for the officers to steal money.  Similarly,
"video fees" must be paid if the village owns a VCR, "ricefield
fees" must be paid by ricefield owners, "saw fees" must be paid
by any villager who owns a hand saw, etc.  Millions of Kyat of
this dirty money flows every month to the families of soldiers
in Rangoon and other cities, helping to create the false illusion
of prosperity which fools some visitors.  They do not see these
villages, where people must even sell their livestock just to
pay "fees" - and when even that is gone, they must flee their
village or face arrest and torture.

In this report cash amounts are given in Kyat.  At official rate,
US$1 = 6 Kyat, but at market rate US$1 is worth 110 to 150 Kyat.
 However, these villagers are subsistence farmers and have no
money regardless of the exchange rate.  Some details must be blacked
out to protect villages - names of people and places which have
been omitted are denoted by 'xxxx' or 'yyyy'.  All numeric dates
are given in DD-MM-YY format, which is the standard in Burma.

TOPIC SUMMARY: Extortion of cash and goods (#2,3,5-14,17,18,20),
extortion of timber (#7,8, 10,11), arrest (#3,15,16), threats
to arrest (#1,6,8,21,24), threats to destroy villages (#2,13,19),
forced labour (#4,22,23), coverup of a Tatmadaw shooting (#25),
attempts to block the Karen Youth Organization (#26-28), restrictions
on Mon language education (#29), speech censorship (#30).

				Order #1
	Stamp:
#XXX Infantry Battalion     To: Chairman / Mr. xxxx                 28/10/94
      #X Company               xxxx village

You didn't come when we called.  The Army column is angry.  Your
village and us have a relationship [the wording implies "sometimes
we need you and sometimes you need us"].  If we meet your villagers
we will punish them.  If you don't come see us, it will be worse.
 That is all.
					       [Sd.]
					       Company Commander
                                              No. X Company

				 Order #2

       Stamp:
#XXX Infantry Battalion     To: Chairman / Mr. xxxx              26/10/94
    #X Company                 xxxx village

You didn't come and give servants' fees and sentry fees from your
village.  If you don't give, okay.  But villagers from xxxx will
be punished if they meet with the Army column.  If you don't come,
when the column arrives in your village we will crush your village
into many many pieces.  But I'm not telling you to come.  That
is all.

						 [Sd.]
						 Company Commander
						 No. X Company

				  Order #3

       Stamp:                                                15-11-94
#XXX Infantry Battalion    To: Chairman / Secretary
      Column X                 xxxx village

(1)  Five days ago we sent a villager to report to you about the
case of taking pigs, chickens and ducks.  So now xxxx village
owes 7,000 Kyat compensation to yyyy camp.  As soon as you receive
this letter come with the money.

(2)  Bring along 5,000 Kyats servants' fees for 10/94 to give
to the army column.

(3)  xxxx village headman Saw yyyy is already arrested.  If you
don't come and the Army column arrives [at your village], action
will be taken against another village leader.  If you don't come
quickly, another xxxx village leader will be sent to the police
station.

					    [Sd.]
					    Intelligence Officer
					    No. XXX Infantry Battalion
[Note:  later, someone from KNU wrote on the order "Our column
entered and occupied, that's why they grabbed civilians".  It
appears that SLORC troops looted livestock from the village and
the villagers reported it to the military command.  As a result,
instead of being compensated they are being forced to pay 7,000
Kyat compensation to the Army.  This may also be the reason for
the arrest of the village headman.]

				 Order #4

To:     Chairman / Mr. xxxx                                20/11/94
	xxxx village

Do as I say.  Handle the issue of servants and come to the camp
together with this messenger.

					   [Sd., xxxx camp]
					   Company Commander
					   No. X Company
					   No. XXX Infantry Battalion
[Note: "Handle the issue of servants" means "arrange some porters for us".]

				  Order #5

       Stamp:
#XXX Infantry Battalion         To: Chairman
     #X Company                     xxxx village

As soon as you get this letter, come quickly and give sentry fees,
video fees and servants' fees.  This is the last notice.  If you
fail, we do not take any responsibility for what will happen.
 23-11-94 is the deadline date.  Come and bring it.

					       [Sd., xxxx camp]
					       Company Commander
					       No. X Company
					       No. XXX Infantry Battalion

				  Order #6

	Stamp:
#XXX Infantry Battalion     To: Chairman                            16/10/94
      #X Company                xxxx village

Chairman, come quickly yourself.  If you fail, we will arrest
people from xxxx village.  The Army column is demanding servants'
fees and sentry fees.  Come and bring them quickly to yyyy camp.

					   [Sd.]
					   Company Commander
					   No. X Company
					   yyyy camp

				  Order #7

	Stamp:
#XXX Infantry Battalion      To: Chairman                       16-9-94
     #X Company                  xxxx village

As soon as you get this letter, come quickly with sentry fees
of 1,000 Kyats and servants' fees of 6,000 Kyats.  Now it is 16
days overdue.  As punishment, bring one duck.  Also bring us the
timber.  If you fail, we will take action within 2 days.

				       [Sd.]
				       Company Commander
				       No. X Company

				 Order #8

	Stamp:
#XXX Infantry Battalion       To: Chairman              21-9-94
     #X Company                   xxxx village

Five letters have already been sent.  You didn't come and bring
the timber.  Gentlemen, if you fail we will come and arrest you.

(1)     Servants' fees 6,000 Kyats, sentry fees 1,000 Kyats - Total
7,000 Kyats.  You have to pay.  It is now 21 days overdue.  Come
and bring it quickly.

(2)     We will confiscate illegal timber.  Come yourself to discuss
this.  Come quickly, and bring the timber we ordered.

					     [Sd.]
					     Company Commander
					     No. X Company

				    Order #9

	Stamp:
#XXX Infantry Battalion          To:  Chairman              16/10/94
     #X Company                       xxxx village

Come in person and pay month 7/94 for July.  Mr. xxxx, come and
pay month 8/94 for August.  You need to pay month 9/94 for September.
The Army column is now demanding 10/94 for October.  You are
one month overdue.  Come quickly and pay.  Quickly prepare yourself
and come.

					      [Sd.]
					      Company Commander
					      No. X Company

				    Order #10

	Stamp:
#XXX Infantry Battalion       To:     Chairman                 7-10-94
     #X Company                       xxxx village

We have already received sentry fees and servants' fees for the
month of 8/94, August.  Now it is already the end of September,
9/94.  The Army column demands servants' fees for September, together
with timber.  Come and bring it quickly.

					       [Sd.]
					       Company Commander
					       No. X Company

				 Order #11

       Stamp:
#XXX Infantry Battalion       To:     Chairman                  7-10-94
     #X Company                       xxxx village

The Army column demands sentry fees and servants' fees for 9/94,
September, together with timber.

					     [Sd.]
					     Company Commander
					     No. X Company

				 Order #12

       Stamp:
#XXX Infantry Battalion     To: Chairman                         10/10/94
    #X Company                  xxxx village

We already received sentry fees and servants' fees for the month
of 8/94.  For the month of 9/94, come quickly and bring [the money].

					    [Sd.]
					    Company Commander
					    No. X Company

				 Order #13

       Stamp:
#XXX Infantry Battalion    To: Chairman                      13/10/94
     #X Company                xxxx village

We already received servants' fees for the month of 8/94, August.
 But we haven't yet received servants' fees and sentry fees for
the month of 9/94, September.  If you don't come, we will take
action when the Army column arrives [at your village].  Chairman,
come quickly.

					 [Sd.]
					 Company Commander
					 No. X Company

				 Order #14

	Stamp:
#XXX Infantry Battalion      To:  Chairman                19/10/94
      #X Company                  xxxx village

We have sent many letters.  Chairman, come in person and bring
quickly 7,000 Kyats for servants' fees and sentry fees.

					   [Sd.]
					   Company Commander
					   No. X Company

				  Order #15

       Stamp:
#XXX Infantry Battalion      To:     Chairman / Secretary
      Column 1                       xxxx village

Subject:        Come and see us quickly

Regarding the above subject, we have already called and held the
Pastor from xxxx village in yyyy camp.  As soon as you get this
letter, the Chairman/Secretary yourself must come and see the
army column without fail.

Date:   23-8-94                                [Sd.]
					       Intelligence Officer
					       No. XXX Infantry Battalion

				   Order #16

      Stamp:
#XXX Infantry Battalion     To: Abbot [of the monastery]             22-8-94
    #X Column                   xxxx village

We have arrested all the people connected with xxxx village.
If the Chairman and Secretary from xxxx village come and see us
at yyyy camp, we will release all the people.  If they fail to
come we won't release them, and the Chairman and Secretary will
be responsible.

					      [Sd.]
					      Intelligence Officer
					      No. XXX Infantry Battalion

				   Order #17

	Stamp:
#XXX Infantry Battalion     To: Chairman / Secretary               18-8-94
     #X Company                 xxxx village

As soon as you get this letter, come quickly and bring servants'
fees of 6,000 Kyats and sentry fees of 1,000 Kyats for the month
of 7/94.  I have already sent 4 letters.  You are 18 days overdue.
Come quickly.

					      [Sd.]
					      Company Commander
					      No. X Company

				   Order #18

To:     Chairman                                                 15-8-94
	xxxx village

For Frontline Infantry Battalion XXX, Column X, you have to pay
servants' fees of 12,000 Kyats (twelve thousand Kyats).  Come
and give it to Company 5 at yyyy village.

Chairman / Secretary / village leaders, come and see us at yyyy
tomorrow without fail.

					       [Sd.]
					       Company Commander
					       No. X Company
					       No. XXX Infantry Battalion
					       yyyy village

				 Order #19

	Stamp:
#XXX Infantry Battalion       To: Chairman / Secretary
       Column X                   xxxx village

Subject:        Come and see us

Regarding the above subject, the Army column has already called
the Chairman / Secretary from xxxx village but they haven't come.
 When you receive this letter, come and see us quickly or the
village will be damaged if you don't.

Date:   11-8-94                             [Sd.]
					    Intelligence Officer
					    No. XXX Infantry Battalion

				  Order #20
      Stamp:
#XXX Infantry Battalion         To:     Chairman
					xxxx village

I heard you will come on the 10th day after full moon of De Zow
Mon month [i.e. November 27].  If you come bring the video fees,
sentry fees and servants' fees with you.  I HOPE, GENTLEMEN, THAT
YOU KEEP YOUR PROMISE and come the 10th day after full moon.

						 [Sd., xxxx camp]
						 Company Commander
						 No. X Company
						 No. XXX Infantry Battalion
[Note:  the words shown in capital letters were written in red ink on
the order.]

				 Order #21
       Stamp:
#XXX Infantry Battalion     To:  Chairman                      13/11/94
     #X Company                  xxxx village

Subject:        Invitation to a meeting

Regarding the above subject, we already sent a message telling
you to come to yyyy camp on 11-11-94 but you failed.  So we remind
you now.  As soon as you get this letter, come to yyyy camp quickly,
without fail.  If the Chairman is not there, one of the village
leaders should come and see us.  If you fail, you will be responsible
and we will take severe action.

					  [Sd., yyyy camp]
					  Company Commander
					  No. X Company