BurmaNet News July 30 1995

------------------------ BurmaNet ------------------------
"Appropriate Information Technologies, Practical Strategies"

The BurmaNet News: July 30, 1995

I'NESIA TO SPEAK FOR ASEAN ON BURMA ADMISSION ISSUE
MOVE TO INVITE SUU KYI IRKS MILITARY BRASS
ASEAN BRIEF
CONTEST PLANNED FOR EMBLEM
ASEAN OFFICIALS EYE WORKING GROUPS TO PROMOTE SECURITY
BURMESE REFUGEES HERE TOP 160,000
BURMA'S ADMISSION SEEN BOOSTING REGIONAL TRADE
KHUN SA'S ARMY BRACES FOR FIERCE BURMESE ATTACK
BURMESE FORCES ATTACK KARENS NEAR BORDER
KRAISAK: SET STIFFER ENTRY TERMS FOR BURMA
THAMMASAT FREEZES SUU KYI INVITATION
BURMESE SHIP HELD WITH B15M CONTRABAND
THAMMASAT BID TO HONOUR SUU KYI THE RIGHT MOVE
BURMA ADOPTS ASEAN PRINCIPLES
CHUAN DEFENDS SUU KYI VISIT
BURMA SEEKS INFORMATION ON GETTING OBSERVER STATUS
TU RECTOR: SUU KYI'S VISIT UNLIKELY TO STRAIN TIES
NEWS FROM INSIDE BURMA
NEWS FROM INSIDE BURMA

                             o-------------------------------o
The BurmaNet News is an      |                               |
electronic newspaper         |                  Iti          |
covering Burma.  Articles    |                 snotpo        |
from newspapers, magazines,  |             werthatcor        |
newsletters, the wire        |            ruptsbutfea        |
services and the Internet as |           r.Fearoflosin       |
well as original material    |          gpowercorrupts       |
are published.               |       thosewhowielditand      |
The BurmaNet News  is        |     fearofthescourgeofpowe    |
e-mailed  directly to        |    rcorruptsthosewhoaresub    |
subscribers  and  is         |   jecttoit.Theeffortnecess    |
also  distributed via        |  arytoremainuncorruptedinan   |
the soc.culture.burma        |   environmentwherefearisanint |
and seasia-l mailing         |      egralpartisnotimmediat   |
lists and is also            |      elyapparanttothose       |
available via the            |        fortunateenough        |
reg.burma conference on      |         toliveinstates        |
the APC networks.  For a     |         governedbythe         |
free subscription to         |          ruleoflaw...         |
the BurmaNet News, send      |           Fearisahabi         |
an e-mail message to:        |                t.Iam          |
                             |                   no          |
 majordomo@xxxxxxxxxxx       |                  taf          |
                             |                   ra          |
In the body of the message,  |                  id.          |
type: subscribe burmanews-l  |                  Aun          |
[news only mailing list],    |                  gSa          |
or, for the news+discussion  |                  nS           |
list, type:                  |                   uu          |
   subscribe burmanet-l      |                   Ky          |
                             |                   i.          |
Correspondance and letters   o-------------------------------o
to the editor should be addressed to: strider@xxxxxxxxxxx

INFORMATION ABOUT BURMA VIA THE WEB AND GOPHER:

Information about Burma is available via the WorldWideWeb at:

FreeBurmaWWW http://199.172.178.200/freebrma/freebrma.htm.
[including back issues of the BurmaNet News as .txt files]

BurmaWeb:  http://www.uio.no/tormodl

Burma fonts:
http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~lka/burmese-fonts/moe.html

Ethnologue Database(Myanmar):

http://www-ala.doc.ic.ac.uk/~rap/Ethnologue/eth.cgi/Myanmar

TO ACCESS INFORMATION ABOUT BURMA VIA GOPHER:

 gopher csf.colorado.edu.

Look under the International Political Economy section, then
select Geographic_Archive, then Asia, then Burma.

BURMANET SUBJECT-MATTER RESOURCE LIST

BurmaNet regularly receives enquiries on a number of different
topics related to Burma.  The scope of the subjects involved is
simplytoo broad for any one person to cover.  BurmaNet is
therefore organizing a number of volunteer coordinators to field
questions on various subjects.  If you have questions on any of
the following subjects, please direct email to the following
coordinators, who will either answer your question or try to put
you in contact with someone who can:

Arakan/Rohingya/Burma-   [volunteer needed]
Bangladesh border
Art/archaeology/:        [volunteer needed]
Campus activism:
Boycott campaigns:
Buddhism:                Buddhist Relief Mission,
                         c/o NBH03114@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Fonts:                   tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
History of Burma:        zar1963@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Chin history/culture:
Kachin history/culture:  74750.1267@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Karen history/culture:   102113.2571@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                         Karen Historical Society
Mon history/culture:     [volunteer needed]
Naga history/culture:    [volunteer needed]
[Burma-India border]
Pali literature:         "Palmleaf"
                         c/o burmanet@xxxxxxxxxxx
Shan history/culture:    [volunteer needed]
Tourism campaigns:          bagp@xxxxxxxxxx
                         "Attn. S. Sutcliffe"
World Wide Web:          FreeBurma@xxxxxxxxx
Volunteering:            Dr. Christina Fink
                         c/o burmanet@xxxxxxxxxxx

[Feel free to suggest more areas of coverage]

===== item =====

I'NESIA TO SPEAK FOR ASEAN ON BURMA ADMISSION ISSUE

KULACHADA CHAIPIPAT
The Nation/27.7.95

BANDAR SERI BEGAWAN _ Indonesia was yesterday appointed to speak
for Asean on the admission of Burma into the regional
organization and coordinate the ministerial-level consultive
meeting with China this Sunday.

The appointed was announced at the plenary meeting of the 28th
Asean Standing Committee, chaired by Brunei's Foreign Minister
Prince Mohamed Bolkiah.

An informed source said Indonesia was at first reluctant to
accept both tasks, but was prevailed upon by other members.

Indonesia's director general of Asean affairs, Rahardjo Jamtomo,
told a press conference that Jakarta supports Burma joining the
regional grouping.

Rangoon will be accorded observer status next year and he expects
Rangoon to be granted full membership in two or three years.

Burmese Foreign Minister U Ohn Gyaw will attend the Asean
Ministerial Meeting, which begins on Saturday, as guest of the
host country.

Ohn Gyaw is due today and will bring with him the "instrument of
accession" to Asean's 1976 Treaty of Amity and Cooperation in
Southeast Asia, which he will hand to ASC chairman Bolkiah,
Jamtomo said.

Asean members have welcomed Burma's accession to the treaty and
agreed that the country be granted observer status at next year's
Asean Ministerial Meeting  in Jakarta.

Singapore reportedly shares Indonesia's view of Burma's future
membership, but Bangkok, anxious over bilateral problems with
Burma, has so far been reluctant to say when Burma should become
a full member.

The procedure under which Burma would become a member will be the
subject of future debate, a source said. "There is a procedure,
but not all countries will necessarily spend the same waiting
period once they have become accredited observers," he said.

This could be a burning issue between Asean and Western dialogue
partners, which are still pressing for the further isolation of
Burma as a means of bringing about democratic change.

Vietnam will become a full member at this meeting, two years
after being accredited as an observer. Cambodia acceded to the
1976 Bali treaty earlier this year, and will be accepted as an
observer at Friday's ministerial session.

The sixth Asean Standing Committee meeting was held to review the
organization's internal and external activities during the past
year _ the final report to be forwarded for consideration by
Asean foreign ministers when they meet on Saturday.

In his speech closing the ASC meeting Jamtomo welcomed the
admission of Vietnam as Asean's seventh member and the acceptance
of Cambodia as an observer, but made no mention of Burma's plan
to sign the instrument of accession to the Bali treaty.

"In two days' time, we will witness landmark developments that
are important for the future of Asean cooperation, namely the
official admission of Vietnam into Asean and the acceptance of
Cambodia as an observer," Jamoto said.

These two historic developments will accelerate the realization
of the founders' dream, to build an Asean that groups all 10
Southeast Asian states.

"This will beyond question enhance and further consolidate Asean
and raise its international status and standing," he said.

Indonesia, host of the 29th Asean Ministerial Meeting and Asean
Economic Ministerial Meeting next year, will assume chairmanship
of the Standing Committee from Brunei.

Jamtomo made particular note of the ministerial-level Asean-China
consultative meeting when referring to the organization's
achievements in his closing address.

Indonesia has good relation with both Burma and China. Foreign
Minister Ali Alatas this month made his first trip to China since
the resumption of diplomatic relations in 1990. He said Beijing
wants greater cooperation with Asean and does not want to
undermine the present good relations.

===== item =====

MOVE TO INVITE SUU KYI IRKS MILITARY BRASS

The Nation/27.7.95

Thai military leaders have warned against a possible backlash by
the Burmese junta regarding Thammasat University's invitation to
Burma's opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi to receive an honorary
doctorate degree.

Both Navy Commander-in-Chief Adm Prachet Siridej and Army
Assistant Chief Gen Chetta Thanajaro have voiced their opposition
to Suu Kyi's visit, saying the trip could affect national
interests and bilateral Thai-Burmese relation.

Chetta has called for a "through extensive discussion and
consultation" on the issue, arguing that the Thai government
should maintain its "friendly ties" with the Burmese junta, known
as the State Law and Order Restoration Council (Slorc), which
continues to govern the country.

He described Suu Kyi, the 1991 Nobel Peace Prize laureate, " as
just an ordinary person" whom the Thai military had to
significant relations or connection with.

"As a close neighbour of Burma, Thailand, which invests and
trades heavily with the country, should maintain friendly
relation with the government that still governs the country," the
deputy Army chief said.

"There should be through consultative discussions on the matter
because this [Suu Kyi's visit] is an important issue that would
draw international attention. Any move has to be planned very
carefully ... so that there would not be any problems," he said.

In a separate interview, Prachet said the learned that Slorc "is
unhappy" with Thammasart University's decision to invite Suu Kyi
here to receive the honorary degree in political science.

He said the university should "carefully" consider the issue
because the trip could affect bilateral Thai-Burmese relations.

"As far as I know, the Burmese government in unhappy with the
invitation and would feel uncomfortable if the Thai government
gave the visit a green light. The move could affect relations
between the two governments," he said.

Prachet cautioned the government against allowing the visit to
proceed and called for a reconsideration, arguing that Thai
"national interest could be affected."

"I can't say whether it [the impact on national interests] would
be positive or negative," he said.

"The decision to invite Aung San Suu Kyi here must be considered
carefully, taking into account the country's national interest
and the impact it may have on future relations between the two
governments."

But former foreign minister Surin Pitsuwan said yesterday that
Thailand has the right to invite Suu Kyi, but expressed doubts if
she would be interested in accepting it.

Surin, who often called for closer relations with Slorc during
his ministerial tenure, has warned that Thailand should take a
cautious step not to exceed the limit that would affect the
Burmese leadership between the two countries.

"Thai foreign policy has always been supportive towards human
rights  but practically, we should not intervene with our
neighbour's internal affairs," he said.

Thammasat University Council, after consultation with the foreign
ministry, had early this week renewed its 1991 decision to invite
Suu Kyi, who was released  on July 10 after almost six years of
house arrest, here to receive the honorary certificate. The
institute's announcement has drawn both support and opposition
from both private and government circles.

Former defence minister Gen Vijit Sookmark did not express his
position on the visit but called for a study to find out the
university's real motives behind the invitation.

He said Suu Kyi was an internal political affair of Burma and
that any public expressions of opinion or action taken here could
either be fruitful or backfire on Thailand.

===== item =====

ASEAN BRIEF
The Nation/27.8.95

P.Penh minister hails release of Aung San Suu Kyi

CAMBODIA welcomed the release of Burmese opposition leader Aung
San Suu Kyi earlier this month and hoped to see the country take
a future part in the Asean fold, Cambodia foreign Minister Ung
Huot said in Bandar Seri Bagawan yesterday.

Ung Huot was speaking upon arrival at Brunei airport, to
participate in his country becoming an Asean observer on July 29,
joining Laos.

"The situation in Burma has improved a lot since the release of
Aung San Suu Kyi. Burma has asked  to accede to the treaty of
Amity and Cooperation. I believe that Asean would welcome Burma.
Cambodia would like to see the country become part of Asean,
which would complete the Asean grouping," Ung Huot said.

Burma will also attends the Asean meetings here as guest of
Brunei, hosting this year event.

Ung Huot said that the time limit for Cambodia to become a full
member of Asean was flexible but would like to put it at two
years.

"The time scale is flexible depending on the situation with our
people. We are preparing ourselves in terms of human resource
development and economic development. It would be one year, two
years or three years. So let us put it at two, in the middle." he
said.

Ung Huot is the first minister to arrive in Brunei to attend the
annual Asean meeting.

===== item =====

CONTEST PLANNED FOR EMBLEM
The  Nation/27.6.95

Asean will upon an opportunity for all its member, countries to
join the "new Asean emblem" contest, now that Vietnam is about to
join and the group could include all ten Southeast Asean
countries in the near future, a reliable source said.

"The source said yesterday that the foreign ministers of all
Asean  member of member countries is shown," the source said.

"The new emblem is expected to represent the unity and solidarity
of the Asean grouping. It could be any form and it is necessary
that the number of member countries is shown," the source said.

The Asean Secretariat will be in charge of the contest, The
present emblem depicts six sheaves of rice stalks, one for each
country. They are coloured browned with the word "Asean" at the
bottom of its members to work together for peace and prosperity
in the region.

Vietnam, presently an observer, will be granted full membership
in the ongoing, Asean Ministerial Meeting  in Brunei, becoming
the seventh member after Indonesia, Singapore, the Philippines,
Malaysia, Brunei and Thailand.

Burma plans to accede to Asean's principles and is expected to be
granted observer status in the next Asean meeting in Indonesia.
Asean has expressed confidence that in the future all ten
Southeast Asian countries would be included.

===== item =====

ASEAN OFFICIALS EYE WORKING GROUPS TO PROMOTE SECURITY

KULCHADA CHAIPIPAT
The Nation/27.7.95

BANDAR SERI BEGAWAN _ Asean foreign ministers and their dialogue
partners are expected to agree to establish three separate
working groups to promote security cooperation during talks next
Tuesday.

A meeting of senior Asean political officials decided yesterday
the working groups should cover search and rescue at sea,
peacekeeping operations and confidence-building  measures, and
official source said at the end of the three-day meeting.

the meeting worked out agendas, finalized discussion papers and
prepared a joint communique to be issued after the 28th meeting
of Asean foreign ministers, which begins tomorrow.

The Asean Regional Forum (ARF) is a platform for Asean ministers
and their dialogue partners from developed countries in Asia and
the West to discuss security and defence affairs in Asia and the
Pacific.

The first working group on sea search and rescue will be co-
chaired by Singapore and the United States, the second on
peacekeeping operations by Malaysia and Canada and the third by
Indonesia and Japan.

Their mandates would be to explore areas of cooperation.

The ARF meeting in Brunei, the second after the gathering in
Bangkok in July last year, will take place after the two-day
Asean Ministerial Meeting.

Permanent Foreign Secretary MR Thep Devakul said last night that
the meeting yesterday had worked out the ARF agendas for
discussion and prepared a draft chairman's statement to be issued
after the one-day official ARF meeting.

He said Asean officials maintained that their respective
countries had to take part in all discussions and decision-making
relating to the forum's cooperative activities.

Each working group would have an Asean country as its co-chair
guarantee Asean participation and consultation in ARF activities.
It also dignified that Asean will remain the core of the forum,
which was initiated by the Southeast Asian grouping.

Eighteen countries and the European Union will participate in the
ARF: the seven Asean members (including Vietnam which will become
a member tomorrow), the three Asean observers _ Cambodia, Laos
and Papua New Guinea _ and Asean's dialogue and consultative
partners.

ARF officials agreed at a meeting in May to recommend the
establishment of the three working groups to their ministers,
saying the move would constitute progress and transform the forum
from just a talk shop, into an action group.

However, they agreed that the ARF should evolve gradually from
the initial stage of confidence building, towards preventive
diplomacy and conflict resolution _ an evolution along the United
Nations' Agenda for Peace.

Other recommendation included the convening of inter-sessional
meetings of Asean officials and academics to further explore
potential areas of cooperation on security matters.

During yesterday's meeting, Asean officials reaffirmed their
position to see Asean remain the core of the ARF and advocated "a
non-confrontational approach" given the diverse interests and
security concepts if its members _ which have political doctrines
ranging from democratic, to authoritarian and communist hardline.

They also reinstated a previous agreement on the criteria for ARF
membership _ members must be either of Asean. Burma, which will
accede to the 1976 Asean Treaty of Amity and Cooperation in
Southeast Asia later this week, will become an ARF member when it
becomes an Asean observer to the next meeting of Asean foreign
ministers in Indonesia in 1996.

===== item =====

BURMESE REFUGEES HERE TOP 160,000
The Nation/27.7.95

THE number of Burmese refugees on Thai soil has now reached
160,000 but Burma's military attacks against various ethnic
minority factions has not affected Thailand's security, a top
security official said yesterday.

Gen Charan Kulavanijaya, National Security Council secretary-
general, said that since the Burmese government adopted its
agressive action against ethnic armed guerrillas along the Thai-
Burma border, the number of refugees flooding into Thailand has
doubled from 80,000 to 160,000  in 22 refugee camps in Mae Hong
Son, Tak and Chiang Rai provinces.

He said he hoped that the refugees would begin returning to Burma
now that the situation there was likely to improve since the
release of Aung San Suu Kyi.

The number of illegal migrants from Burma found in the North
since the beginning of this year  was approaching  300,000-
400,000, Charn said. An average of 200 illegal migrants of
Chinese descent were also recorded by immigrations each month.

Charan admitted that there were some Thai border officials who
accepted bribes which has exacerbated security and the problem of
curbing the arrival of cheap illegal labour.

Meanwhile, Mr Wallace, chairman of the Karen Refugees Committee,
said the number of Karen refugees had increased from 50,000 to
120,000 since the end of last year.

===== item =====

BURMA'S ADMISSION SEEN BOOSTING REGIONAL TRADE
bkk post/27.7.95

BURMA'S admission into ASEAN, a process which will receive a big
boost this week with its accession to the Treaty of Amity and
Cooperation, will help promote economic opportunities for ASEAN
but will not stop human rights violations or promote
democratisation of the military-ruled country, according to
Burmese opposition groups.

Thesitional government, with the special privileges for the
military agreed by the convention made only a temporary measure.
One NLD source says both ideas would probably be acceptable,
although there are reservations about relying on the altruism of
the military .

However, the SLORC may be unwilling to give much ground at all.
According to an observer familiar with military thinking , the
generals believe support for the opposition has declined over the
years, with the resumption of economic growth, and ceasefire
agreements with a dozen ethnic insurgent groups.

And the regime continues to inspire fear in its opponents. In
Rangoon people cower at the sight of troops and only talk in
hushed tones about how much they detest the military, their eyes
darting about in search of unfriendly ears.

Despite superficial similarities, alluded to by Ms Suu Kyi on her
release , Burma does not appear to be following the precedent set
by South Africa, where the release of Mr Nelson Mandela was part
of a long process of negotiation.

" Both sides will show flexibility but I'm not sure if there is
much common ground. SLORC feels as though it has given alot
already by releasing her, " says another diplomat. " You have to
remember this country has no organised system for solving
disputes."

===== item =====

KHUN SA'S ARMY BRACES FOR FIERCE BURMESE ATTACK
Bkk Post/28.7.95

by Subin Khunkaew

FIERCE fighting between Khun Sa's Mong Tai Army and Burmese
forces is imminent, with the Burmese government bringing in
reinforcements to the area across the border from Chiang
Mai'Maeai, know as Khun Sa's military stronghold, according to a
Shan leader.

Zao Gangade, a veteran military officer in the MTA, said he had
received an intelligence report confirming that about 2,000
Burmese soldiers with heavy weapons had been brought as
reinforcements to the area where heavy fighting might erupt soon.

Gangade, who is chairman of the Shan State National Congress,
said there was much military tension in MTA's operating area last
June, when eight Burmese spies were caught trying to sneak into
the MTA's area.

He said: "We finally decided to free them all, to maintain our
friendship, but on 20 June Burmese soldiers sent in Wa forces to
carry out a surprise attack on our base, killing six soldiers of
the MTA.

"Undoubtedly, this incident was intentional and Wa soldiers got
the order from Burmese forces (to attack us)," said Gangade, who
was earlier tipped to replace Khun Sa as the new leader of the
MTA.

===== item =====

BURMESE FORCES ATTACK KARENS NEAR BORDER

Mae Hong Son

BURMESE government troops launched a fierce attack on a
stronghold of the Karenni National Progressive Party in Karenni
State across the border from here yesterday, a border source
said.

A KNPP soldier was reportedly killed and two others were severely
wounded. The wounded were admitted to Sri Sangwal Hospital in Mae
Hong Son.

The battle between the Burmese government soldiers and the
minority group has been intensifying since last Saturday. This
caused a request to close a primary school situated near the
border in Mae Hong Son.

===== item =====

KRAISAK: SET STIFFER ENTRY TERMS FOR BURMA
Bkk Post/28.7.95

THE Association of Southeast Asia Nation and the Asia Pacific
Economic Cooperation forum should admit Burma as a member but
must set higher conditions for the Burmese government, according
to a foreign affairs critic.

Kraisak Choonhavan, who played a leading role in an advisory team
during his father Chatichai's government, made the suggestion at
a seminar on "Thailand's role toward Burma: After the release of
Aung San Suu Kyi", held by the Thai Action Committee for
Democracy in Burma and Forum Asia.

Most speakers expressed a similar view that following Suu Kyi's
release the Thai Government should review or at least redefine
the meaning of the constructive engagement policy toward Burma.

Former chairman of House committees on foreign affairs and human
rights Sutin Noppaket said Thailand should have grabbed the
opportunity of Burma's wanting to join ASEAN and use it as
condition to deal with the junta.

"We should have used the ASEAN ministerial meetings as a
negotiating condition with Burma,"he said.

Mr Kraisak said that to enforce the constructive engagement
policy would be difficult for the Foreign Ministry because of
Thailand's political system and Burma's long-time internal
problems.

Problems in Burma are conflicts of nationalities and Thailand
must not confuse these with issues of human rights violations and
the lack of democracy in that country.

"I was told by a friend (from an ethnic minority) that the
minority groups will continue to fight Burma even if a democratic
government rules the country because what they want is
sovereignty, like Burma received from the British government in
1948," Mr Kraisak said.

Mr Sutin urged the new premier and foreign minister to negotiate
with the State Law and Order Restoration Council to settle border
violations stemming from conflicts between Rangoon and minority
groups.

"Burma wants to join ASEAN. But we (Thailand) want more-national
reconciliation which has not yet taken place."

===== item =====

THAMMASAT FREEZES SUU KYI INVITATION

Bkk post/28.7.95

NATIONAL leaders continued to jump on the bandwagon yesterday by
offering, their comments on the possible implications of a
reported future visit by Burmese opposition leader Aung San Suu
Kyi to Thailand.

But it became clear yesterday evening that Thammasat University
had no plan, at least for now, to renew its invitation for the
Nobel Peace Prize laureate to come here to pick up an honorary
doctorate which had been offered to her since 1991.

Rumours of her visit spread like wildfire three days ago when
reporters based at various government agencies asked for comments
on Thammasat's decision to grant her an honorary degree in
political science and her visit to Thailand to receive it.

Anek Laothammatat, vice rector of Thammasat University, yesterday
denied that the invitation has been renewed and confirmed that no
official contact has been made with Mrs Suu Kyi concerning her
visit to Bangkok to accept the honorary degree.

"I floated the idea through the press Because I heard Mrs Suu Kyi
had decided to visit Norway soon. It would be a good opportunity
for us to invite her here," he said.

Mr Anek claimed that he has received support from the Foreign
Ministry But a reliable senior official there denied Mrs Suu
Kyi's visit to Thailand has been raised with the officials
concerned.

Those who offered comments on the issue yesterday included
Defence Minister Chavalit Yongchaiyudh, Democrat leader and
former prime minister Chuan Leekpai, former deputy foreign
minister Surin Pitsuwan, former deputy permanent secretary of
foreign affairs Pracha Gunakase and Army Commander-in-Chief
Wilmol Wongwanich, among others.

Mr Chuan aid it was likely that the Burmese opposition leader's
trip might cause the Rangoon government to feel uneasy.

He noted, however, that the invitation could be considered as
Thailand's own internal affair.

The former premier said Thailand was a  democratic country and
that he saw no justification in the Government preventing her
from making a visit to this country.

However, to prevent any misunderstanding over the incident, he
said, the Government to prevent any misunderstanding over the
incident, he said, the Government should clarify the issue with
the Burmese government so they can understand Thailand's stance
on it as a democratic country.

Meanwhile, Gen Chavalit, who is planning to officially visit
Burma next month, said yesterday he didn't think Mrs Suu Kyi's
visit would cause any problem as long as it is carried out
carefully. He said an unofficial invitation has already been
forwarded and that Mrs Suu Kyi has tentatively agreed to come.

Gen Chavalit said he considered it a good sign that the Burmese
government has freed the opposition leader, saying he didn't
think it would be unusual for Mrs Suu Kyi to engage in politics
now that she has been released from detention.

The defence minister said he is quite confident that his trip to
Burma next month will help strengthen bilateral understanding
between that two countries.

Army Commander-in-Chief Gen Wimol Wongwanich cautioned that all
aspects had to be taken into consideration as to whether the
visit would help strengthen or strain relationships with
neighbouring countries.

However, though the Burmese opposition leader is famous for her
contribution to the democratic struggle in her country, he said,
one should also take the national interest into consideration
before deciding whether the visit could nave a negative impact on
Thailand.

Former deputy foreign minister Surin Pitsuwan said the visit by
the Burmese opposition leader might understandably result in
negative criticism, adding it would be improper to bar people who
played a key role in fighting for democracy from entering this
country.

In the long run, he said, if the Burmese opposition leader is
allowed to make a visit to Thailand, then the country might gain
credibility for adhering to the human rights cause.

Thammasat Political Science faculty Dean Seksan Prasertkul, a
former student leader in the early 70s, said yesterday he was
confused with the reports about comments on the Burmese
opposition leaser's visit.

He claimed he didn't know anything about the visit.

"I don't know anything about it. I just know about it rom the
newspapers," said Mr Seksan, adding many lecturers at the
university didn't know anything about the reported visit either.

Foreign Minister Kase S.Kasemsri yesterday assumed up the
controversy.

"I believe that Thai people always look to the future in whatever
they do but I don't understand why we keep talking about
something that has not happened."

===== item =====

BURMESE SHIP HELD WITH B15M CONTRABAND

Krabi
bkk post/28.7.95

MARINE police arrested 10 Burmese crewmen after seizing about 15
million baht worth of contraband from their ship on yesterday.

Acting on a tip-off that a large quantity of contraband smuggled
from Malaysia's Lankawi island was about to be delivered to
clients in Bangkok and fits nearby provinces through the Krabe
coastline, a joint team of Phuket and Trang marine police
patrolled Phi Phi Island. They seized the Lwin Yuwaddy ship about
2 nautical miles east of the island after finding a large
quantity of contraband hidden in it. Ten Burmese crewmen
including the boat's skipper and crew were arrested.

Seized from the ship were 30 television sets, 20 air-
conditioners, 500 cartons of foreign cigarettes, 9,000 sets of
batik cloth, 500 boxes of liquor, some navigation devices and fa
cellular phone.

The boat's skipper allegedly confessed that he had been hired for
100,000 baht to deliver the goods to customers on July 26.

In a related development, Phuket Marine Police chief Pol Col
Jongrak Sriyapai said yesterday that he had received a phone call
from a man allegedly claiming to be an army staff officer with
the rank of colonel and a close aide of Defence Minister Gen
Chavalit Yongchaiyudh, asking him to release both the contraband
and the suspects.

Pol Col Jongrak ignored the call, however.

===== item =====

THAMMASAT BID TO HONOUR SUU KYI THE RIGHT MOVE

bkk post/28.7.95

The Thammasat University Council's plan to renew its invitation
originally extended in 1991 to Burmese opposition leader Aung San
Suu Kyi to receive an honorary doctorate degree in Political
Science has irked the top ranks of the Thai military. This hardly
comes as a great surprise.

The top brass, ranging from Army Commander-in-Chief Gen Wimol
Wongwanich and Navy Commander-in-Chief Admiral Prachet Siridej to
Army Assistant Commander-in-Chief Gen Chettha Thanacharo, have
all voiced disagreement with the university's move on the grounds
that it might cause a negative impact on Thai-Burmese relations.

Gen Wimol suggested that the university council reconsider the
case. He questioned whether Suu Kyi's presence here was worth
causing a split among the Thai people. Gen Chettha, meanwhile,
cautioned that since Thai businessmen have invested in and traded
heavily with Burma. Thailand should maintain good relations with
the State Law and Order Restoration Council (Slorc) which is in
full control of that country.

Contemptuous of what it perceives as the imposition of western
standards on this country and apathetic over extensive human
rights violations in Burma, known its view that maintaining a
close and cordial relationship with Slorc is mutually beneficial
to the two countries.

But others do not totally share the military's view. Former prime
minister Chuan Leekpai, for instance, said it is the sovereign
right of Thailand to invite anybody here and there is no reason
why Suu Kyi cannot be invited. Nevertheless, he suggested that a
discussion should be held with the Burmese side to prevent any
misunderstanding which might arise from Suu Kyi's visit _ if that
actually takes place. Thus, Mr Chuan's opinion represents a voice
of civility and decency amid a chorus of disapproval.

Given the strained relations between the two countries which
resulted from clashes earlier this year between Thai troops and
Rangoon-led Democratic Karen Buddhist Army forces, the military's
concern of a possible backlash from the Slorc may sound
sufficiently valid.

But fear of a possible backlash from a brutal regime should not
be the only consideration influencing the decision-making
process. If it is, them we will always be subject to Slorc's
intimidation. The credibility and image of this country in the
civilised international community and the longer-term mutual
benefits should democracy be restored in Burma must also be taken
into account.

Suu Kyi may be something of a "non-person" in the eyes of our top
brass because she has no bearing whatsoever on bringing about fat
benefits for Thai corporate interests. But to the Burmese
civilians and all peace-loving people, she is a heroine. She also
symbolises peaceful struggle for  democracy.

In a word where civility and political decency have been
sacrificed for the pursuit of narrow-minded self-interest,
Thammasat University Council has responded to the call of
conscience. Its plan to renew the invitation to Burma's lady of
democracy to receive a degree to which she has been entitled for
four years is morally correct and politically harmless and should
be accorded full support.

The move is by no means an interference in Burma's internal
affairs, But one which will enhance the relationship between the
Thai and Burmese peoples. Perhaps the Slorc will feel threatened
by such a noble act and may even feel hurt because it will never
be accorded such an honour.

For a woman of her calibre, wisdom, charisma and political
maturity, Aung San Suu Kyi is certainly fully aware of her
vulnerability having just had her first taste of freedom after
six years of house arrest. She will almost certainly know what,
and what not, to say if she agrees to come here.

Thailand has business interests in Burma and they are to be
protected by the Thai Government. But this does not necessarily
mean that the Thai Government has to behave like Slorc and forego
its sovereign right of judgement or discard its political decency
and conscience.

What this country should be more worried about is not a possible
backlash from Slorc, but how to humanise and civilise that regime
so that Burma can be integrated into ASEAN and the international
community.

===== item =====

BURMA ADOPTS ASEAN PRINCIPLES

Officials hail Rangoon's surprise move as step toward 'One
Southeast Asia'

MARISA CHAMPRABHA
The Nation/28.7.95

Burma has acceded to Asean's Treaty of Amity and Cooperation
(TAC), bring the group closer to its ultimate goal of "one
Southeast Asia".

Ass Vietnam is set to officially become Asean's seventh member
today, Burmese Foreign Minister U Ong Gyaw yesterday submitted
instruments of accession to the Asean chairman, Brunei's Foreign
Minister Prince Mohamed Bolkiah, according to a Brunei press
release.

Rangoon's accession to the TAC (which sets out the principles if
the grouping) t the annual Asean ministerial meeting starting in
Brunei today, took the world and Asean itself by surprise _
particularly because it occurred less than three weeks after the
release on July 10 of Aung San Suu Kyi.

The Burmese opposition leader and 1991 Nobel Peace Prize winner
had spent six years under house arrest for her pro-democracy
activities.

Still, Rangoon has been criticised for not ceding powers to Suu
Kyi's National League for Democracy, which won a landslide
victory in a 1990 election.

Although many western countries have called for the isolation of
Burma, Asean _ which groups Brunei, Indonesia, Malaysia,
Philippines, Singapore and Thailand _ has instead adopted a
policy of restoring democracy to Burma through dialogue.

However, the European Union yesterday welcomed Burma's accession
to the treaty.

Indonesian Foreign Minister Ali Alatas also praised Burma's move,
saying Rangoon has seen economic and social improvement,
including Suu Kyi's release.

"Cambodia's and Laos' positions as Asean observers emphasize
Asean's achievement towards creating one Southeast Asias at
loggerheads," Alatas said.

He said Asean is not demanding changes in Burma's internal
political situation as a condition for it becoming an Asean
observer.

Foreign Ministry Permanent Sevretary Saroj Chavanavirat said
yesterday it is Asean's decision whether to welcome Burma as a
member.

"Including Burma by its accession is a step closer towards
Asean's ultimate goal to have the region's 10 nations integrated
in the group," he said.

Sukhum Rasamitat, the Foreign Ministry's director general for
Asean, said all Asean countries want Burma to join the fold, and
the accession is one step closer towards full membership.

Asean is planning an informal meeting of member countries, plus
Cambodia, Laos and Burma, for Bangkok in December. It is to
coincide with the Asean Summit of government leaders.

The informal meeting is a way for Asean and non-Asean countries
to exchange views without having to wade through procedure.

Meanwhile, the Vietnamese flag is to join other Asean colours
being hoisted at a ceremony in the Brunei capital today in a
ceremony that has been carefully rehearsed all week, Reuters
reports.

Officials of the six Asean members will all give welcoming
speeches.

What was clearly not in the script was a last-minute diplomatic
wrangle over the terms of Vietnam's participation in an Asean
Free-Trade Area (Afta), perhaps the main focus of the group now
that the long civil war in Cambodia has been settled.

Diplomats attending a senior officials' meeting this week said
Vietnam's admission was nearly derailed when Hanoi told the group
last week it would be unable to sign the Afta pact because it had
not been ratified by its National Assembly.

===== item =====

CHUAN DEFENDS SUU KYI VISIT
The Nation/28.7.95

DEMOCRAT PARTY leader Chuan Leekpai said yesterday there was on
reason for the government to prevent Burmese opposition leader
Aung San Suu Kyi from visiting the country.

I don't know the details of the invitation yet, but in principle,
Thailand is a sovereign country and [private sector] has the
right to [extend the invitation]," Chuan said.

"I think there is no reason why the Thai government should ban
her from entering the country."

Chuan's comment came as Defence Minister Chavalit Yongchaiyudh
yesterday joined others in calling on the government to weigh the
pros and cons of the visit, which many said could irk the Rangoon
junta.

Thamasat University has invited Suu Kyi, recently released from
nearly six years under house arrest, to come to Bangkok and
receive an honorary doctorate degree.

Chuan acknowledge that the visit could make the Burmese junta
uneasy, but urged the Thai government to use diplomatic means to
clear misunderstanding that might result.

===== item =====

BURMA SEEKS INFORMATION ON GETTING OBSERVER STATUS

The Nation/30.7.95

BURMESE Foreign Minister U Ohn Gyaw yesterday said he will
discuss with Asean the procedures required to be admitted as an
observer.

"At the stage, we will discuss observer status with Asean. We
will not go further into the question of membership," Ohn Gyaw
said after the opening session of the Asean meeting, which he
attended as guest of Brunei.

Burma acceded to Asean's Treaty if Amity and Cooperations in
Southeast Asia on Thursday, and sough observer status. The
application will be considered later by the seven Asean members.

Indonesian Foreign Minister Ali Alatas told the audience the "in
its endeavours at national reconciliation, as exemplified by the
recent decision of the government to release Daw Aung San Suu
Kyi, Myanmar [Burma] deserves all the encouragement that we
[Asean] can give.

"The recent developments in Myanmar are, we believe, a
vindication of Asean's faith in the capability of the people of
Myanmar to solve their own problems and achieve national
reconciliation without undue outside interference," Alatas said.

Thai Foreign Minister MR Kasem S Kasemsri said Burma had, to the
credit of her government and people, released Aung San Suu Kyi,
who had publicly emphasised that reconciliation was the only
viable solution for Burma's political.

"In keeping with the prevailing mood of harmony, Yangon [Rangoon]
has acceded to Asean's Treaty of Amity and Cooperation, taking
the first tentative steps towards its re-integration into the
international community," Kasem said.

===== item =====

TU RECTOR: SUU KYI'S VISIT UNLIKELY TO STRAIN TIES

Bkk post/30.7.95

A VISIT to Thailand by Nobel laureate Aung San Suu Kyi to receive
and honorary doctorate from Thammasat University would be
unlikely to strain relations between Thailand and Burma, rector
Noranit Sethabutr said yesterday.

He said the visit would have nothing to do with the government;
it was the university's initiative to grant her the degree.

"I think the Burmese Government should understand this," he said.

Noranit denied that the university had renewed an invitation for
Suu Kyi to receive the degree in political science bestowed on
her in 1991.

Mr Noranit said the Peace Committee chaired by Dr Prawase Wase
initiated the idea the have Suu Kyi participate in the 50th
Anniversary of Would Peace in mid-August.

If Mrs Suu Kyi accepted the invitation, she would make a speech
during the ceremony, part of which would be held at Thammasat
University.

The rector, who is also a member of the committee, said an
official invitation had not been made by the committee.

But if the Burmese opposition leader decided to come, the
university would present her with the honorary doctorate.

"We still don't know how to contact her, and don't know whether
she will come here for the peace commemoration," said Noranit.

It would be "unusual" if the university did not contact her to
receive the doctorate once she came to the country for the
ceremony, he said.

The rector, defending the university council's decision in 1991
to grant the doctorate, said.

"As a peaceful fighter for democracy she deserves to get it in
accordance with the country's support for peaceful political
struggle.

"The Burmese Government should know that he incident has nothing
to do with the Government. Our university has a reputation for
academic freedom.

Some military top brass, including Army Commander Gen Wimol
Wongwanich, have opposed the visit saying it might jeopardise
relation between the two countries.

The rector said differences of opinion on certain issues were
normal in a democratic society. He saw nothing unusual.

"Every related agency has voiced its opinion, taking the national
interest  into consideration," said Noranit.

It was not the first time an outsider had been awarded an
honorary doctorate by the university: former Japanese premier
Takeo Fukuda was a recipient, he said.

But the Interior Ministry had concluded the visit would cause
misunderstanding  between the Thai and Burmese governments even
though Thailand might improve its international reputation by
allowing it, according to ministry sources.

A senior ministry official said he was hopeful next month's visit
of Defence Minister Gen Chavalit Yongchaiyudh to Burma would
strengthen bilateral ties between the two countries, provided Suu
Kyi did not come to Thailand first.

Interior deputy permanent secretary for security Damri
Wattanasingha had no comment.

===== item =====

NEWS FROM INSIDE BURMA
ALL BURMA STUDENTS DEMOCRATIC FRONT (ABSDF)

Burmese-Chinese Soccer Riot
===========================

   A Chinese soccer team arrived in Rangoon to play for Burmese-
Chinese goodwill by the invitation of Slorc in March, 1995. The
first soccer match was played in Rangoon on March 11, 1995. In
that first soccer match, the Chinese players played very
violently and were warned many times by the Burmese referee.
Although  the referee warned them many times,  the Chinese
players didn't respond.

One time, a Chinese player was ordered off of the football field
after the referee showed him a red card . Suddenly, that Chinese
player fought the referee with his fists and feet. Finally, the
audience became impatient and threw bottles and stones at the
Chinese players. Suddenly, it  looked like an anti-Chinese riot
in the stadium. Securities couldn't control the Burmese
audience, so the soccer match was stopped by the authorities.
After that soccer match in Rangoon, according to schedule,
another soccer match was played in Mandalay, the second largest
city of Burma, popular as a Chinese city among the Burmese
people. But, that time, the Mandalay people were not allowed to
watch the soccer except for army families and government
servants, who felt embarrassment because they were prohibited
from
bringing even pepsi bottles and water bottles into the stadium.
Moreover, during these days, many soldiers were placed separately
in Mandalay for so-called city security by the Mandalay Division
army authorities. So, the Mandalay people said, "we don't want to
watch that kind of soccer which was arranged and played in our
city by the army, and we feel that we want to take louvres(tayote
ka') off from our houses. Burmese call Chinese, "tayoke", in
Burmese language.

Slorc's trade with Moscow
==========================

Last March, 1995 the Slorc Lt. General Myint Aung, Agriculture
Minister, made an agreement with Russian authorities to sell one
million tons of Burmese rice to Moscow for 1996. The Slorc
generals are confident that they have enough surplus rice to sell
to Moscow every year. At the moment, in Burma, especially in
Irrawaddy division and Pegu division, farmers are forced to plant
whatever kind of rice the generals want. Naturally, Burma has
been an agricultural country since a long time ago, but Burma's
annual rice production every year has been just enough for its
own consumers in the country since 1962.

 Burma is a mountainous country except for the delta area, Pegu
area and Mandalay area. The Mandalay area, although a plain area,
is a dry zone and very difficult for growing rice. At the moment,
1 kg of lower standard rice, namely "Nga Sein" costs 40 Kyats in
Rangoon. The official currency exchange rate for  1 U.S $ is
equal the 6 Kyats. Now, some observers say, "It is impossible to
export one million tons of rice per year, if it happens, Burmese
consumers will be faced with higher prices for rice everyday."

Is Rangoon a battle field?
==========================

On July 10, 1995 Daw Aung San Suu Kyi was released from six years
under house arrest. There were no more soldiers near her lakeside
residence, but many soldiers are guarding  different regions in
Rangoon particularly nearby Shwe Da Gone Pagoda.

Two days before Martyrs' day, the reinforcements of the Burmese
army was clearly seen in the city by the people of Rangoon. Slorc
is preparing for Martyrs' Day. If something happens on that day,
they will surely use the army, said the Rangooners.

According to  sources from Rangoon, now  Slorc has already placed
army columns separately in Rangoon as in front line areas. The
followings are the Slorc's column locations:

1. Behind the Koe Htat Gyi Pagoda in Tamawe township;
2. At the Padonmar field in Sanchaung township;
3. Near the Parliament building in Ahlon township;
4. Near government broadcasting service in Kamaryut township;
5. In the Thayetaw Buddhist monastery in Lamadaw township;
6. At the some big monasteries in Rangoon;
7. Near MI 6 office in Mayangon township;
8, Near Ye Kyi Ai, infamous MI office in Mingaladon township;

Residents of Rangoon  say that there are approximately 15,000
Slorc soldiers in Rangoon, but no reason was given.

Many soldiers desert military units of the Slorc

Because of the disagreements and maltreatments within the Burmese
Army, Slorc is now faced with a problem of  soldiers deserting
their mother units.

Slorc is paying special attention to the problem of deserters  as
their possible participation in demonstrations can lead to
violent response if a public uprising breaks out again in the
future.

 Slorc is stepping-up measures to curb the problem by arresting
deserters and giving them heavy punishments.

A rumour spreading among the people of Burma

Concerning the release of Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, a rumour is
spreading that Than Shwe was directly ordered by Ne
Win and Kyaw Htin ( former Defense Minister ) to release her
immediately. Many people think that this rumour was created by
the MI officials.

The view of a student from inside Burma
=======================================

The decision to release Daw Aung San Suu Kyi is just the Slorc's
escape from the prevailing problems that the Slorc is now facing.
They also wish to gain better international relationships. As
the international community is looking toward their own interest,
short-term and long-term, Slorc believes that her release will
help promote foreign investment in Burma where a market of
cheap raw materials, resources and workers, is available.

They also hope to receive international funding and assistance.

As  conditions are forwarding  the confrontation between the
Slorc and the ethnic groups, Slorc wants to use Daw Aung San Suu
Kyi as a buffer in a tactic to create confusion which in turn
will give them more time to cling on the state powers.

Slorc also wants to find out and reveals the groups which are
currently working for democracy in secret.

Even after her release, Slorc is seeming to continue their
arrests of the young activists who threaten their power and
escalate the democracy movement.

Even though Slorc attempts to sell the national resources, as
much as they are able according to their policy, the economy has
become deteriorated and people are facing a crisis in living,
accommodations and clothing which are really essential for their
lives. As a consequence, SLorc is really concerned about the
conditions which may leads to another uprising again.

Slorc understands that they can not solve  all of these problems
even though they are handling the problems by suppressing
potential activists very strongly, and very desperately seeking
 foreign investors to provide a staple for their ruling
machinery. Likewise, they hope to gain profits from rice exports
by increasing the quotas of rice the farmers have to sell to
them. They are especially counting on the foreign currency which
they can gain from "Tourist Myanmar Year 1996".

It is now impossible for the Slorc to reduce their budget,
particularly on the military which has been expanded and on
government servants which are at the same time, their back bone
and potential forces to threaten their power.

For More Information Please Contact: Zaw Min Joint-Secretary of
Foreign Affairs of the ABSDF

Mailing: P.O Box 42, Hua Mark P.O Bangkok 10243, Thailand

<<END>>