Burma & U.S. Congress on July 28, 1

Subject: Burma & U.S. Congress on July 28, 1995

Attn: Burma Newsreaders
Re: Burma & U.S. Congress on July 28, 1995

STATEMENTS ON INTRODUCED BILLS AND JOINT RESOLUTIONS (Senate - July 28,

1995)

THE 1995 FREE BURMA ACT

Mr. McCONNELL. Mr. President, today, I am introducing the 1995 Free Burma

Act. I had planned to introduce the legislation on July 11, the date the

State Law and Order Restoration Council--SLORC--was to reach a

determination about the status of Aung San Suu Kyi. Fortunately for Suu

Kyi, her family and Burma , SLORC decided to release her from 6 years of

house arrest.

Everyone hoped that her release would mark the beginning of significant

change in Burma . But, as Suu Kyi recently remarked, `We are nowhere near

democracy. I have been released--that is all. The situation has not changed

in any other way.'

Two weeks ago, I announced that I would refrain from introducing sanctions

legislation in the interests of determining just how serious the SLORC was

about change in Burma . I indicated that I would monitor the situation and

determine if progress was made in four areas before introducing sanctions.

Let me review those conditions.

First, Suu Kyi has called for dialog with the SLORC to negotiate the

peaceful transfer of power. In her first public statement she took note of

the fact that a majority of the people in Burma voted for democracy and a

market economy in 1990. In fact her National League for Democracy carried

392 seats in Parliament. A dialog to set Burma on the road to economic and

political recovery should being immediately and without preconditions.

Second, Suu Kyi must continue to be afforded the opportunity to meet with

her political supporters. It is essential that she have freedom of movement

and speech and that her supporters and the press enjoy the same rights.

Third, Suu Kyi urged the SLORC to release all political prisoners,

including the 16 elected members of Parliament and hundreds of other NLD

supporters. I hope this occurs promptly, but in the meantime, I think it is

imperative that the SLORC sign and implement the ICRC agreement granting

access to political detainees. Last month the ICRC announced they intend to

withdraw from Burma after 7 years of attempting to negotiate an agreement

with SLORC. I believe it would represent a good faith effort if SLORC now

signed that agreement.

Finally, SLORC's intention to move toward national reconciliation could be

demonstrated by ceasing attacks on ethnic minorities along the Thai border.

Over the past year, SLORC has engaged in negotiations to reach cease-fire

agreements with many of the ethnic groups--agreements which explicitly call

upon the withdrawal of SLORC forces from various regions. In December,

SLORC broke off talks and launched attacks against the Karen. Nearly 80,000

refugees fled across the border. Over the past several weeks several

thousand SLORC troop have moved into the

Kayah state and launched attacks against Karenni camps. News accounts

report that 20,000 refugees have fled.

On Monday, this week, I asked Assistant Secretary of State for Asian

Affairs, Winston Lord, Assistant Secretary for Narcotics, Robert Gelbard,

to provide the administration's assessment of progress in meeting these

conditions. I also asked a Burmese student, Omar Khin, and representatives

from Asia Watch and the AFL-CIO to testify.

Although everyone agreed that Suu Kyi's release was an important

development and that she was being afforded the opportunity to meet with

her supporters, every witness expressed disappointment that that was all

that has happened.

The war against ethnic groups continue. Political repression and human

rights violations continue. In fact, just this week, Asia Watch released an

extensive report detailing how the situation has deteriorated.

The Red Cross still plans to shut down operations because of SLORC's

refusal to grant access to political prisoners.

And, perhaps most importantly, no negotiations have been initiated by SLORC

to implement the 1990 elections. In fact, no efforts have been made to set

a date for dialog to begin.

It is pretty obvious that SLORC's decision to release Suu Kyi was a

calculated move designed to encourage foreign investment and Burma 's

inclusion in ASEAN. Indeed, within 48 hours of her release, several

governments announced their intention to consider expanding trade and

assistance. I think it is too early to reward SLORC--these initiatives are

premature.

I agree with Suu Kyi who has cautioned all potential investors. A recent AP

story made clear that she is concerned about a rush to embrace SLORC. She

has, in fact, welcomed this legislation as a means of pressuring SLORC to

the table. In an AP story she said, `These are very tough sanctions and I

think they have shown they are very interested in democracy.'

The legislation sends the message that Suu Kyi's release is not

enough--that the Senate expects SLORC to implement the results of the 1990

election and transfer power to a civilian government.

Mr. President, some people may wonder why Burma should matter to the United

States. After all there are certainly other countries with comparable human

rights records.

That may well be true. But, there is one compelling reason why we have a

direct interest in Burma . Today, Burma is the source of 65 percent of the

heroin coming into the United States compared with 15 percent 10 years ago.

More alarming is the fact that purity has shot up. Law enforcement

officials here in Washington and in Kentucky tell me they used to see

purity around 2 percent to 3 percent on our

streets. Now it is not uncommon to find purity levels from 25 percent to 65

percent.

The drug czar has said heroin trafficking represents a serious threat to

our national interests. I agree. I also agree with Assistant Secretary

Lord's testimony that the only thing that will solve the problem is a

change in government.

Mr. President, we all hope that Suu Kyi's release marks the beginning of

the end of repression in Burma . However, past experience with this

military dictatorship suggests caution is the appropriate approach.

Suu Kyi has issued a statement of remarkable good will toward a regime that

illegally held her in detention for 6 years. She has demonstrated courage

and determination, stating immediately after her release that her detention

has not changed her basic goals to advance peace and freedom in Burma .

I think it is important that we respect and promote that agenda. Keeping

the pressure on SLORC will assure that her release is translated from a

symbolic gesture to real progress.

Mr. President, I ask unanimous consent to include in the Record several

letters of support for this legislation which have come in from around the

world. I also ask unanimous consent to include a brief summary of the

legislation and an article including comments Suu Kyi has made about the

legislation.

There being no objection, the material was ordered to be printed in the

Record.