ABSDO Statement on 8888

Date: Tue, 8 Aug 1995 06:25:32 -0700

>From u941659@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  Mon Aug  7 17:47:46 1995
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 1995 10:47:34 +1000 (EST)
To: strider@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: 8888

This is the statement of ABSDO.
Statement on the Anniversary of 8.8.88 Democratic General Uprising

8 August 1995.

Today marks the anniversary of the nationwide General Uprising to end the
military dictatorship and to restore democracy and human rights in Burma.
During the student-led demonstrations, there were millions of people
including monks, students, farmers, workers, army, airforce, navy and
police officials, joined the demonstration.. As a result, three
subsequent military governments have been driven out. Our public uprising
was brutally oppressed in the September 18 coup that established the
State Law and Order Restoration Council (Slorc). Burma remains under
military rule, and the people are denied peace and basic human rights.

The release of Daw Aung San Suu Kyi does not bring any guarantees for the
establishment of genuine democratic processes and peace in our country.

The current ruling State Law and Order Restoration Council (Slorc) have
rejected the will of the people as mandated by the 1990 elections. The
Slorc continues to deny basic civil rights. Instead the Slorc is
undertaking a sham National Convention to ensure their own future rule.
Thousands of political prisoners are held in detention, while the Slorc
spends the nations resources in increased militarisation and uses its
stock of arms in the civil war against the ethnic minorities and
democratic forces.

On the historic day, which marks the beginning of the publicly expressed
rejection of the military dictatorship and the birth of our nationwide
movement, the ABSDO expresses our strong support for the struggle for
democracy that continues in Burma. Even though the General Uprising met
with brutal military forces, resulting in a crackdown and the loss of
thousands of lives in the coup, the people of Burma continue to strive
for the restoration of democracy. In solidarity with the movement in
Burma, our struggle will be conducted in harmony with the other
democratic organisations in the border areas and broader international
networks.

The ABSDO is committed to the goals of achieving democracy and human
rights in Burma. We are determined to achieve international support for
the struggle in the form of diplomatic and economic pressure against the
military regime. We will work together with other Australian and
international organisations and individuals who share this common cause.

Central Committee
All Burma Students Democratic Organisation
(Australia)

We are going to demonstrate in front of the Burmese Embassy on 8 August
at 12:30 PM.

>From Myo Aye (ABSDO)
No 2 Thurlow Pl, Emu Ridge, Belconnen ACT 2617
Australia. ph (616)2511457.