Aung San Suu Kyi's Message to Democ

The following is an opening message from Daw Aung San Suu Kyi
to the Burma Seminar organized by Forum of Democratic Leaders
in the Asia-Pacific held in Seoul, South Korea, September 3-4.

Message from
A U N G    S A N   S U U   K Y I
to the Burma Seminar
convened by the Forum of Democratic Leaders in the Asia-Pacific

It is an honour and a pleasure to be able to address a few words to the
Burma Seminar convened by the Forum of Democratic Leaders in the Asia-
Pacific.  It provides me with an opportunity to thank the Forum for its
excellent work in support of the struggle for democracy in our region,
and to send my warm greetings to the participants of the seminar.

This is a time when it is crucial to make the international community
aware of the situation in our country and of our endeavours to establish
a democratic political system in keeping with the will of the people.
We who have been striving for democracy in Burma believe that peace and
genuine progress can be achieved only by creating a climate of trust and
confidence in our nation.  We need the basic rights that will give our
people a sense of security and remove the shadows of mistrust and
suspicious that darken their lives.  The people also need to feel
confident that they are in control of their own destiny, that their
interests will be guarded and their will respected by those who are in
charge of the governance of the country.  Our concept of democracy is
fundamentally very simple; it is a system that ensures the supremacy of
the will of the people by providing institutions by which this will can
be effectively implemented.

It is my hope that this seminar will be able to bring to the attention
of the world the obstacles that have yet to be overcome before democracy
can truly be established in Burma. Further I hope the seminar will be
able to suggest suitable means for removing such obstacles.

May I wish the Forum and the participants in the Burma Seminar all
success in their endeavours to promote the cause of democracy in Burma
and in the rest of the Asia-Pacific.

//End Message//