ohn gyaw speech at unga

STATEMENT BY U OHN GYAW, SLORC'S MINISTER FOR FOREIGN AFFAIRS,
AT THE 50TH SESSION OF THE UNITED NATIONS GENERAL ASSEMBLY
			(New York,  3 October 1995)

Mr. President,

It gives me great pleasure to extend, on behalf of the
Delegation of Myanmar and on my own behalf, warm congratulations
to you on your assumption of the Presidency of the fiftieth
session of the United Nations General Assembly. The diplomatic
skills and experience that you bring to the high office assure
us of a successful session.

Allow me to take this opportunity to express our appreciation to
His Excellency Mr. Amara Essy,Foreign Minister of Cote d'Ivoire,
for having so successfully guided the deliberations of the
previous session.

Mr. President,

The United Nations is fifty years old this year. It is both a
time for celebration and an opportunity for reflection. The
Organization has evolved over time and has served us well for
half a century. The  significant increase in the membership -
from the original 51 to the present 185-- underscores the
continuing relevance of the Organization.  However, vast
transformations are now taking place and reforms in the
structure and work of the Organization must be instituted to
reflect the new realities. We wish to see a more efficient and
result-oriented Organization, one that retains mechanisms that
have proven effective adopts innovative measures to assure
cooperation in the post-bloc world.

Security Council reforms constitute one of the most important
issues to be addressed. Myanmar stands for a pragmatic approach
that ensures that the Council evolves into a more
representative, effective and democratic body. Judging from the
work of the Open Ended Working Group on the Question of
Equitable Representation on and Increase in the Membership of
the Security Council during the last two sessions of the United
Nations General Assembly, it is clear that there is a
convergence of views that the Council should be enlarged. The
enlargement should however be accompanied by measures to make it
more effective. It should ensure equitable geographic
representation and at the same time preserve the possibility for
smaller states to serve on the Council.

Myanmar fully supports the position of the Non-Aligned Countries
which stresses the importance of enhancing the effective and
efficient functioning of the Security Council by adopting
measures geared at reforming its working methods and procedures.

Myanmar welcomes the actions already taken to enhance the
relationship between the Council and the general membership as
well as measures to improve its working methods and procedures.
We are particularly pleased to see that the council has
initialized the holding of orientation debates and briefings by
the President of the Council for States non-members of the
Security Council. We see the need to enhance cooperation between
the Security Council and the General Assembly in accordance with
Articles 10,11, 12 and 14 of the Charter. We also share the view
that reforms can best be achieved through a combination of means
that include General Assembly resolutions, changes in the rules
of procedure and through appropriate amendments to the Charter
where necessary.

At the same time the role of the General Assembly -- the single
forum where all the Member States are represented -- should be
reviewed to enable it to deal more effectively with outstanding
problems and to allow it to focus on the new challenges of our
times.

We consider it vital that there be a more dynamic relationship
between the main organs of the organization -- the General
Assembly, the Security Council and the Economic and Social
Council.

Mr President,

In recent years the United Nations despite constraints, has been
in the forefront of the international community's efforts to
deal with the unresolved problems of the Cold War decades as
well as new ones that have surfaced.   It has been called upon
to meet the burgeoning demand for peace-keeping. In some cases
like Angola, Cambodia, El Salvador  and Mozambique, it has
scored successes. In some others, like Bosnia and Herzegovina
and Somalia it has come under heavy strains and proved to be
ineffective. The lesson to be learned is that the Security
Council should be far more conscious of when and under what
mandate to begin peace-keeping operations. Such operations must
have clearly defined objectives. More importantly, agreement
among major powers must carry with it the support of the
majority of the member states if it is to have the desired
result.

If the United Nations system is to be revitalized and
strengthened, the basic issue of adequate financing,
particularly of peace-keeping operations, must be addressed.
Whether that happens depends on us. The United Nations can only
be as strong or as effective as Member States choose to make it.
Limitations of the United Nations should not encourage Member
States to take precipitate actions. As a Myanmar saying goes.
"When mice enter the granary, we must catch the mice and not set
fire to the granary".

The founders of the United Nations also envisioned it as an
international body for the promotion of the economic and social
welfare of all peoples. Even though the right to development is
recognized as an inalienable human right, the disparity between
the developed and the developing countries continues to widen.
Member States should reaffirm their commitment to cooperate in
creating an international economic environment conducive to the
realization of the right to development. Without development
there can be no prospect for lasting peace. In this regard I am
pleased to note that in his recommendations on "An Agenda for
Development" the Secretary-General last November stressed that
development should be recognized as the foremost and most far-
reaching task of our time

The United Nations was established on the principle of equality
of all its members. The mandate of the Organization is to
advance peace and security, bring international justice and
economic and social development to all peoples. While it
deserves to be commended for its vital role in the historic
process of decolonization which led to the independence of more
than 80 countries, much less can be said for its efforts to
create an equitable international economic order.

Mr. President,

I am pleased to note that the perceptible improvement in the
international climate is generating a favourable impact on some
longstanding issues such as the Middle East peace process. The
initial steps taken two years ago towards a durable peace have
now been followed by firm strides. Myanmar joins other nations
in welcoming the accord signed by Prime Minister Rabin and
Chairman Arafat in Washington D. C. on 28 September 1995. We
hope that it will pave the way to a comprehensive, just and
lasting peace in the Middle East.

Mr. President,

Just as the family of nations must work together to ensure
international peace and stability, individual states must
promote peace within their territories. I am happy to be able to
say that in Myanmar peace reigns like never before and that the
momentum for positive change continues. The Government has set
12 objectives in the political, economic and social fields and
is working steadfastly to achieve them.

A unique feature of Myanmar is that it is a union composed of
well over a hundred national races. Unity among the different
national races is essential for the preservation of our
independence and sovereignty as well as for the economic, and
social progress of the country. The Government has adopted
policies to prevent the disintegration of the Union, ensure the
non-disintegration of national solidarity and ensure the
perpetuity of our country's sovereignty. Moreover with a view to
building a peaceful, prosperous and modern nation, my Government
has formulated and is pursuing clear objectives in the
political, economic and social spheres.

Mr. President,

Allow me to focus briefly on some of the main issues on our
national agenda:

First is the issue of ensuring the stability of the State.
National reconsolidation is an indispensable component of my
Government's policy to achieve peace and tranquillity. A
national convention has been convened to draft a new
constitution which would be a harmony with present-day realities
and reflect the aspirations of the entire nation.

Secondly, in the economic sector guidelines have been formulated
to promise all-round development of agriculture which forms the
mainstay of the nation's economy.   At the same time Myanmar has
laid out a welcome mat to foreign and domestic investors in
order to attract capital and technical know-how.

Thirdly, progress is sought in the social sector in order to
buttress political stability and economic progress which
constitute foundation stones for a peaceful, prosperous and
modem state. We are engaged in efforts to strengthen the fabric
of the society by rekindling the spirit of patriotism and
uplifting the moral integrity of our citizens.  The Government
is endeavouring to preserve the national character and cultural
heritage and to raise the standard of education and health of
the entire country.

Mr. President,

It is a source of immense pride and satisfaction that our
efforts have achieved a significant measure of success in
charting a new course for the country.  Insurgency which was
born with our independence is now coming to a close. The
unprecedented return to the legal fold of 15 out of the 16 armed
groups speaks volumes for our efforts at national
reconsolidation.

The Government also lifted restrictions placed on Daw Aung San
Suu Kyi, 10 July 1995. The lifting of restrictions is
unconditional. A large number of individuals against whom action
had been taken in accordance with the laws of the land has also
been released.

Mr. President,

I am also pleased to be able to say that we in Myanmar have been
shouldering our responsibilities to combat the menace posed by
narcotic drugs.  The Myanmar Armed Forces have been mounting
major offensives against drug traffickers including the forces
of Khun Sa.  Since end 1988, there have been 823 engagements
with the drug traffickers.  In these clashes 16 officers and 567
other ranks from the Armed Forces sacrificed their lives for the
country, 55 officers and 1,744 other ranks were wounded in
action, and 153 weapons were lost.  Enemy losses amounted to 720
killed, 118 captured, 221 surrendered and 708 assorted weapons
seized.  The numbers speak for themselves.  We are determined to
wage war against the drug traffickers as a matter of national
responsibility and see it as our duty to humanity.  Our men have
sacrificed life and limb so that the world may be rid of the
scourge of narcotic drugs.  The actions of the Myanmar Armed
Forces deserve to be accorded due recognition just as the Blue
Helmets have been commended for their valour and courage.

In order to succeed in the fight against narcotic drugs, the
Myanmar Government in May 1989 initiated an integrated rural
development program of unprecedented nature and scope in the
border areas.  Subsequently in 1992 a separate Ministry devoted
to the development of border areas and national races was
established.    We are fully confident that once those areas are
developed, living standards of the local populace raised and
alternate means of livelihood made available, poppy cultivation
will be totally eradicated.

We have relied on our own resources to promote the development
programmes in the border areas.  Over K2.842 million (US$400)
has been expended for infrastructure-building.  We are grateful
that recently Japan approved a grant of Yen 1 billion (US$10
million) to be used to purchase fertilizer and agricultural
machinery and implements for the food development programme in
the border regions.  It is our hope that others too will join
hands with us to develop those regions in order that humanity
may be freed from the menace posed by narcotic drugs.

Mr. President,

On the economic front, Myanmar has made important gains. The
economy registered a growth rate of 6.8 percent in l994-95 and
prospects look bright for the future. Foreign investment in
Myanmar totals US$ 2.7 billion and is expected to reach US$4
billion by the end of the year.

An indicator of the pace of development of the economy is the
dramatic increase in the production of the staple crop, rice,
permitting the export of over one million tons.  In the
meantime, Myanmar is fulfilling the basic needs of the people
and in striving to narrow the gap in living standards between
the urban dwellers and the rural folks.

Mr. President,

In the realm of international relations, Myanmar has
consistently pursued a policy of peace and friendship with all
states, especially with neighbouring countries.  A recent
landmark event was Myanmar's accession to the Treaty of Amity
and Cooperation at the 28th ASEAN Ministerial Meeting in Brunei
paving the way for Myanmar's eventual entry into ASEAN.

In the light of the political and socio-economic transformations
taking place in the country and the increased cooperation with
its neighbours, Myanmar continues to make important
contributions to peace and stability in the region and in the
world.

Mr. President,

The commemoration of the fiftieth anniversary of the United
Nations is a time for reflection and for resolution. I would
like to seize this opportunity to renew my country's dedication
and commitment to the principles and purposes of the Charter and
to pledge that Myanmar will contribute, however modestly, to the
realization of a United Nations which will serve both the cause
of world peace and fulfil the needs of humanity.

Mr. President,

In this new era we must strive to ensure that all nations can
live together in peace and harmony.  Every nation must also
strive to keep its house in order.  We have a responsibility in
our time just as the founding fathers of the United Nations had
in theirs to bequeath to the generations to come a world that is
secure and peaceful.

I thank you.