LETTER TO UNHCR(GENEVA) AND THAI P.

Subject: LETTER TO UNHCR(GENEVA) AND THAI P.M.(12/10/95)

/* Written Mon 16 Oct 6:00am 1995 by DRUNOO@xxxxxxxxxxxx(DR U NE OO) in igc:reg.burma */
/* ----------" Letter to UNHCR(Geneva) and Thai PM (12/10/95) "------- */

Dr U Ne Oo
48/2 Ayliffes Road
St Marys SA 5042
AUSTRALIA

October 12, 1995.

Ms Sadako Ogata
UN High Commissioner for Refugees
Case Postale 2500
CH - 1211 Geneva 2 Depot
Switzerland

Dear High Commissioner

RE: Repatriation of Burmese Refugees from Australia and Thailand
Firstly, I should like to thank the High Commissioner for your continuing
attention to the situation of refugees from Burma. I also wish to express
my sincere appreciations to the Branch Offices of UNHCR in Canberra
and Bangkok in particular, for their continuing assistance to ensure the
safety of the refugees residing in Thailand. As a Burmese refugee, I am
particularly encouraged that the UNHCR become increasingly interested in
addressing the root causes of human displacements regarding Burma.
I have recently received the newsletter from UNHCR about the repatriation
of Rohingyas to Burma. In spite of precarious situation existing in my
home land, it has always been the refugee's dream that one day we will
be able to return to Burma.

In this connection, I have enclosed my appeal to the Government of
Australia to promote a Memorandum of Understanding with UNHCR for the
repatriation of Burmese refugees from Australia. I also appeal
the UNHCR to promote a formal Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with
the Royal Thai Government for the repatriation of Burma's refugees
from Thailand. My appeal to the Royal Thai Government to cooperate with
UNHCR in promoting an MOU is also included for your information.

Our refugee communities shared the view that the cease-fires that followed
by the political settlement by various parties to the conflict as the important
factor for building a long-lasting peace. Therefore, appeals have been made
to the United Nations Security Council to implement a nationwide
cease-fires in Burma. In order to deter the build-up of military machinery
in Burma, which has been a major source of instability to that country, the
UN Security Council have been urged to implement international arms
embargo. I wish the UN High Commissioner to assist and support us in
implementing these measures.

I further wish to request the UNHCR to make adequate funding for various
Quick Impact Projects that currently implementing in Arakan State, West of
Burma.  I also wish to advocate the increasing of UN personnel within Burma
for monitoring returnees/refugees.

Finally, I thank you for your kind attention to Burmese refugees and
Burma matters. We, the refugees, are in much hope that we will soon be able
to live in Burma peacefully.

Yours respectfully and sincerely

U Ne Oo

Copy to:

[1] Dr Pierre-Michel Fontaine, The Regional Representative for Australia,
Branch Office of UNHCR, 9 Terrigal Crescent, O'malley ACT 2606, AUSTRALIA.

[2] Mr Ruprecht von Arnim, The Regional Representative for Thailand,
Branch  Office  of  UNHCR,  P.O.  Box  2-121,  Rajdamnern,  Bangkok  10200,
THAILAND.

/* -----------" Letter to the Thai Prime Minister "------------ */
Dr U Ne Oo
48/2 Ayliffes Road
St Marys SA 5042
AUSTRALIA

October 12, 1995.

Mr Barnharn Silapa-acha
Prime Minister
Government House
Thanon Nakhon Pathon
Bangkok 10300
Thailand

Dear Prime Minister

I am a Burmese national presently residing in Australia and I firstly
should like to thank you and your administration for continuing
humanitarian support for the refugees and displaced people from Burma.
Burmese nationals are grateful to the Royal Thai Government and,particularly,
the people of Thailand for their understanding and tolerance towards
Burma's refugees. We sincerely appreciate  your Government's cooperation
with the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees for arranging
better security for the Burma's Karen refugees.

I should like to call your kind attention to the situation of Burmese
students who were detained for their non-violent activities in the
Special Detention Center in Bangkok. These Burmese students are still
at young age and the previous administration had taken action against
their youthful behaviour in protesting the Myanmar Military Government.
I appeal you to release those students from Special Detention Center.

I further appeal the Royal Thai Government to promote a Memorandum of
Understanding with the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
for the organized repatriation of refugees to Burma. Various refugee
community from Burma have already expressed their interests in voluntary
repatriation to Burma. Therefore, I appeal your government to cooperate
with the UN High Commissioner for Refugees in solving Burma's refugee
problem.

Finally, I thank you for your kind attention to this matter.

Your respectfully and sincerely

U Ne Oo.

/* Endreport */