voice from students

Re: Dr.Ne Oo's proposals for repatriations of refugees from Australia and
Thailand.

To all Burmanet readers,
	Let us introduce ourselves first. We are Burmese students who
participated in 88 Demoracy Uprising in Burma and also had been under
UNHCR mandate in Bangkok. Now we are on AIDAB (AusAid) scholarship and
studying in Melbourne. We just want to point out a few things concerning
refugee and students issues which Dr. Ne Oo's experience and knowkedge do
not cover.
	Firstly we would like to point out that Dr. Ne Oo's understanding
of the refugee issue needs to be updated. He does not understand the
reality of refugee's lives and feelings. In his words "it has been the
refugee's dream that one day we will be able to return to Burma". It is a
wish out of many others which are more important for refugees. No one can
deny that anyone who is away from their home land always wants  to go
back. But the important fact here is to the home land which is safe for
them. Dr. Ne Oo's understanding of the present Burma situation is difficult
to understand. He said, "the cease-fires that follow by the political
settlement by various parties to the conflict as the important factor for
building a long-lasting peace". Dr. Ne Oo needs to understand that actual
peace can not last by temporary fake cease-fires without solving the
political matters. Present real situation in Burma is totaly different
with Dr. Ne Oo's views.
	As the Editor of Burmanet pointed out, arrests of activists and
numerous political prisoners in Burma continue as is known by anyone who
is carefully watching the human rights and political current situation in
Burma. There is still no guarantee for any Burmese people's safety in
Burma as the military government continues to supress anyone who opposes
their rules. Dr. Ne Oo's view to repatriate refugees from Thailand and
Australia is imappropriate for this time and this situation. This can only
be done when Burma is free from military oppression and there is a guarantee
of human rights and democracy in Burma. Moreover, what he said, "our
refugees communities share the view" is totally false. No one had been
consulted or discussed with him and no one shares this view with him.
He just did it on his own in order to gain personal popularity. His
proposal to repatriate refugees is the one which SLORC wants to happen
and if this happens many lives will be in unthinkable situation under
military brutality.
	Dr. Ne Oo's understanding of the Rhhingyas repatriation issue
needs to be expanded because it ignores the reality of the Rohingyas people
who had been repatriated to Burma. They had been interrogated and tortured
by the military soliders and intelligence and finally they had to flee
from the area.
	Secondly, we like to point out that Dr. Ne Oo's understanding
Burmese students is totally poor. Dr. Ne Oo's views on the age of student
activists is insulting as he said "These Burmese students are still at
young age and the previous administration had taken action against their
youthful behaviour in protesting the Myanmar military government". Dr. Ne Oo
needs to realise those Burmese students who participated in 88 democracy
uprising were also young and they are the ones who changed the evil system
which oppress the people of Burma, and continue fighting for democracy and
peace in Burma. Unlike Dr. Ne Oo they know which action should be taken at
which time in which situation although they are young. Moreover, they have
more experience in politics than Dr. Ne Oo. Therefore, they know which way
is going to bring about peace and democracy in Burma. We do not understand
what Dr. Ne Oo really wants and what he is doing. We strongly reject his
proposal and deny that he has any representative role as he claims.
	We strongly believe that Dr. Ne Oo should not put forward any
proposals as he does not understand the political and social situation in
Burma. All in all, we regard Dr. Ne Oo as nothing but an opprtunist who is
looking to build up his own reputation. We request all Burmanet news readers
to completely disregard his proposals as they lace any credibility
whatsoever.

Ko Soe Soe and Ko Moe Myint
Burmese Students (Melbourne, Australia)