THE REPATRIATIONS ARE INEVITABLE

/* Written 28 Oct 5:00pm 1995 by DRUNOO@xxxxxxxxxxxx in igc:reg.burma */
/* -----------" REPATRIATIONS ARE INEVITABLE "--------------- */

I am at a little surprised about recent posting regarding the
repatriation of the Burmese refugees from Thailand and Australia.
Firsty, this is not the first time the issue on the repatriation of
refugees been introduced - I have repeatedly mentioned about it over
the years. Further disappointing fact about these postings was that
they monotonically focussed upon the safety of students in Bangkok
(an issue that is urgent, but must look at from a different platform),
which fail to look at the whole Burma refugee situation. And no one
seems to questioned the underlying objectives and principles of the
move - showing a lack of attention to the the general political
situation of Burma.

>From my point of view, the implementation of solution oriented refugee
policy for Burma is the only way out of Burma's tragedies. The
international mobilization to this policy has been initiated since
1992, and throughout 1993/94/95. Though there is no point to claim for credit
(or should I better take the blame?), this policy initiative is now
coming to its final phase. It is a waste of energy to protest or to hinder
this refugee policy implementations - the policy have already been built
up over the years (just under your own eyes).

A much better approach for those who truly concerned for the safety of
all refugees is to make initiatives for a greater monitoring and
safeguard for returnees/refugees in Thailand and Burma. It is quite
unproductive - and you may have wasted your energies - by simply
protesting the refugee repatriation policy. It is time for the
Non-governmental  organizations to mobilize more funding for
repatriation and monitoring, and to get a greater access to
refugees/returnees  inside and outside of Burma.

I am truly saddened for all your protests. But I am sorry to say that
I have seen no alternatives for refugees: The repatriations are inevitable.

I will carefully readout all your letters of protests and surely take
the time to reply them - but please be patient ! Things does take
times.

All the best, Sincerely yours, U Ne Oo.

/* Endreport */