"Foreign Direct Investment" (fwd)

Dear ALL:

I quoted the term "Foreign Direct Investment" from the headline of the
table in FEER in my previous posting. I requested to give explanation if
you know what it means.  I received a numbers of comments privately. All
of the comments gave a clear explanation on how Britian is ranked # 1. It
is because the companies from Hong Kong which are investing in Burma are
registered at British Virgin Islands (for tax reason. So this part is clear.

However, I still not satisfy with the meaning of "Foreign Direct
Investment."  No one gave comment on it except one individual who even
pointed if there was the term "Foreign Indirect Investment" and if there
was one, what the meaning of it was. I wish I could see an economist
now and get the answer.

Thanks,

Tun Myint.