Dr. Sgeal & SLORC's Myanmar (r)

Date: Thu, 2 Nov 1995 21:29:28 -0800

/* Written  9:25 PM  Nov  2, 1995 by strider in igc:soc.cult.burma */
/* ---------- "Dr. Sgeal & SLORC's Myanmar" ---------- */
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 1995 21:23:43 -0800

Ko Tun,

  You waste your time in spending so much time rebutting Dr. Segal's
posting on soc.culture.burma  Assuming Mr. Segal exists, it is a fair
bet that he didn't write it.  His wife, Miriam Marshall Segal has been
responsible for much other pro-SLORC propaganda and she is the likely
auther of this piece as well.

 Ms. Segal is an example of the axiom that there is no honor among
thieves.  One of her recent business ventures was as the head of the
Peregrine Fund's investment arm in Myanmar; Peregrine Myanmar.
Peregrine if I remember correctly is a Hong Kong based investment firm
that is long on money and short on scruples.  Peregrine got into a sort
of joint venture arrangement with Segal--they put up most of the money,
she put up her contacts with the SLORC and together they set out to
invest in Burma.  Unfortunately for Peregrine, Ms. Segal was less than
faithful to her end of the bargain.  Persons who were interested in
investing with Peregrine Myanmar were being steered by Ms. Segal into
placing their money directly with her, thus cutting Peregrine out of
commissions and profits.  It seems that Peregrine learned of this
arrangement when someone in the Rangoon office of Peregrine accidently
faxed a memo from Segal.  The memo, detailing how this worked, went to
Peregrine's office in Hong Kong instead of its intended recipient--one
of Miriam's co-conspirators.  Ms. Segal was promptly fired by Peregrine
which was mad enough to complain to the SLORC.  No word yet on whether
they received any justice yet.

This is the version of the story as it was related to me in Rangoon.
Ms. Segal apparantly has her own version of the story with different
heroes and villains.  Rather than critiquing her posting on the net,
perhaps we should be asking her to share with us her version of why
Peregrine fired her.

  Regards,

     Strider