United States 'Strongly Supports' N

STATEMENT BY NICOLAS BURNS, SPOKESMAN, on November 30 1995

//Begin Text//

AUNG SAN SUU KYI'S PARTY WITHDRAWS FROM NATIONAL CONVENTION

Delegates from Aung San Suu Kyi's party, the National League for
Democracy (NLD), withdrew from the Burmese military authorities'
National COnvention on November 28.  The NLD concluded that given
the refusal of the State Law and Order Restoration Council (SLORC)
to address concerns about the conduct of the National Convention,
it could not continue to participate in the process.

The United States strongly supports Aung San Suu Kyi and the NLD
in the quest to begin a direct dialogue with the SLORC about the
political future of the country.  We strongly encourage the SLORC,
as we have done in the past, to enter into such a dialogue with
Aung San Suu Kyi, other democratic leaders and the ethnic minorities.
We believe this is key to political reconciliation in Burma.

///end text///