White House Supports 'Dialogue'

WHITE HOUSE STATEMENT ON BURMA
Following is text of a White House statement made today (December 1)  on events in Burma:

STATEMENT BY THE PRESS SECRETARY

The United States views with concern recent events in Burma.  We and other governments have noted that
under current circumstances, the National Convention convened by the Burmese authorities does not offer
the opposition a meaningful opportunity to participate in the crucial decisions that will determine
Burma's political future.  We understand that the National League for Democracy (NLD) withdrew from
the Convention after its repeated requests for dialogue with the authorities were rejected, triggering a
harsh and threatening response by the authorities.

We urge the State Law and Order Restoration Council (SLORC) to recognize that public discussion in an
environment free of intimidation is critical to the health functioning of any political system.  We further
urge the authorities to avoid threats or other measures against those who seek freely to express their views.

We continue to believe that it is only through peaceful dialogue between the SLORC and recognized
democratic leaders that national reconciliation will take place in Burma.  We urge the authorities in
Burma to agree to such a dialogue.

			*****